Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operator guide

Good morning everyone,

As i progress through my training i have been tasked with creating a manual. This manual will be used for training operators, as well as im sure to train my eventual replacement (hopefully not for a while). While i believe what we do cannot be simply learned through a manual, i do enjoy visual aids as it makes learning easier for me.

So heres what i am looking for, do you guys have any reference material that you constantly find yourself using to illustrate a point youre trying to teach? Wether is be related to GD&T, math, measuring, inspection im looking anything that our jobs encompasses.

I believe what we do needs to be learned through lots of training and hands on experience but i always love having material to look back on to confirm or deny any questions i may have.

So any reference material or teaching aids you wouldnt mind sharing would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

i mean, you could do something from scratch or you could just buy the level 1 or level 2 training material from Hexagon and go from there.
    Ex-Hex

Comment

We have a BASIC CMM Operation manual that I've created for my employer. It goes over the following topics. We have no manual for programming, as it is out of scope for the operators.
      -Machine startup (location of power buttons and estops)
      -Machine Shut-Down
      -How to execute a routine, functions of the jogbox
      -Troubleshooting:
      ---ensuring fixtures are aligned to fence,
      ---ensuring CMM is active (not estopped or damp error, including TP200 probe reset button and "probe balance" for scanning head),
      ---description of all components below probe quill,
      ---identifying and cleaning probe tips on stylus racks,
      ---inspecting/cleaning TP200 magnetic interface,
      ---ensuring nothing else is open on the PC (to ensure PC resource availability).
      -----All troubleshooting steps conclude with an "escalate to supervisor or metrology engineer" if problems persist.
      -Probe tip calibration
      ---Includes selecting all angles, and clicking NO qual tool has not moved (to maintain master probe)
      -Probe stylus replacement
      -Fixture maintenance
      -Attachments outlining every button of each of our jogbox designs.

i can't share the proprietary info, but this would give you a good start.
      Last edited by louisd; 11-25-2019, 11:49 AM.

Comment

If your boss expects you to create a manual, on how to program or even on programming 'best practices', let him know that's like asking a chef to turn the creative process of making a new dish, into explicit instruction... It's just impossible, and even if you do, the process would be completely unique for each and every chef.

Comment

• Smallsvillanova
          Smallsvillanova commented
          Editing a comment
          Absolutely agree man. I told him this during our discussion but his background isnt of the metrology variety. I appreciate your input as always and what you posted isnt to far off from alot of what i already have. Thank you again

anthony.alfaro i do have the level 1 training material which I will use and incorporate in my manual. However in my experience ive found that people tend to have cool little references that they have accumulated over the years that have helped them when they have come across things that have given them trouble. I have found that often these references or guides tend to be the most helpful, because they come from people that have experienced it in a learning capacity and real world applications. As opposed to the training guides which are a lot less easily digested depending on what industry you work in.

Comment

• A-machine-insp
          A-machine-insp commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a binder full of useful examples for stuff I do, unfortunately its all more advanced stuff that nobody here but me understands. Job security I guess...

• Smallsvillanova
          Smallsvillanova commented
          Editing a comment
          A-machine-insp any chance you would wanna share what you have? Even if its not completely relative to what i do i enjoy the different perspective.

• A-machine-insp
          A-machine-insp commented
          Editing a comment
          Smallsvillanova I have sections of the Core Manual that pertain to what I'm trying to accomplish printed out, highlighted, and notated. When I get something to work, I take a screen shot of it (omitting anything proprietary), print it, hand write notes on it, and put it in the binder. I also have a highlighted and notated Level 2 and 3 books as well. For me, the above works well but what makes it work the best are my personal notes. It helps me remember and get back on track with it faster.

I have made it clear to those that need to know that this is my binder and it will go with me if I leave (I'm not looking to leave but the future is always unknown, it's a guess at best) and they are ok with that. The things in it are things I have learned and figured out on my own time, it had just been applied on company time. At the same time, I am the most knowledgeable metrologist (why is spellcheck telling me that is wrong???) in the company and my binder is Greek to everybody else here.

If Hexagon still offers hard copies of the programming, operating manual, have your boss order it.

watch his eyes glaze over when he sees the 1600+ pages.

B&S CHAMELEON/PCDMIS CAD++ V2011

There are no bugs, only "UNDOCUMENTED ENHANCEMENTS!"

sigpic

Comment

• louisd
          louisd commented
          Editing a comment
          I just dumped one from v3.7 in the recycle bin, it's two reams of paper, each one spiral-bound.

• A-machine-insp
          A-machine-insp commented
          Editing a comment
          dph51 Where can this be found at?

• mb0258
          mb0258 commented
          Editing a comment
          A-machine-insp
          HTML Code:
          ftp://ftp.wilcoxassoc.com/docs/