Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Assignments and reporting result

Hello All,

Long time lurker, first time posting. Most answers I have needed I have gotten from the knowledgeable peps from reading this forum. Been programing PC-Dmis for about 2.5yrs. I am at a point where I need to use assignments/variables. I have been reading about assignments/variables thru the help file but I still am not getting it. What I need to do is a very simple assignment/variable and be able to report the result.
    What I am trying to do is subtract a ID measurement from a OD measurement in order to get the wall thickness of a very simple ring and dimension and report the value. If there is another way other than using an
    assignment in order to do this, I have not been able to figure this out. Yes I could create opposing vector points and create a line and dimension that, but I really need the whole average ring thickness and already have measured data from OD/ID . Any help with this would be much appreciated. This is what I have created for assignments, but do not know if this is correct or how to dimension and report.

ASSIGN/V1=MCYL_2760.DIAM0
    ASSIGN/V2=MCYL_2560.DIAM0
    ASSIGN/V3=V1-V2
    Last edited by superiorqc1; 11-21-2019, 06:02 PM.

Originally posted by superiorqc1 View Post
    Hello All,

Long time lurker, first time posting. Most answers I have needed I have gotten from the knowledgeable peps from reading this forum. Been programing PC-Dmis for about 2.5yrs. I am at a point where I need to use assignments/variables. I have been reading about assignments/variables thru the help file but I still am not getting it. What I need to do is a very simple assignment/variable and be able to report the result.
    What I am trying to do is subtract a ID measurement from a OD measurement in order to get the wall thickness of a very simple ring and dimension and report the value. If there is another way other than using an
    assignment in order to do this, I have not been able to figure this out. Yes I could create opposing vector points and create a line and dimension that, but I really need the whole average ring thickness and already have measured data from OD/ID . Any help with this would be much appreciated. This is what I have created for assignments, but do not know if this is correct or how to dimension and report.

ASSIGN/V1=MCYL_2760.DIAM0
    ASSIGN/V2=MCYL_2560.DIAM0
    ASSIGN/V3=V1-V2

Hi,

You're almost there. Loose the zeros off the end there.

ASSIGN/V1=MCYL_2760.DIAM
    ASSIGN/V2=MCYL_2560.DIAM
    ASSIGN/V3=V1-V2
    To make an educated guess as to what's happened.

You used the expression builder to generate those assignments, when you click the ADD button in the builder dialog it adds the expression, but for some reason the expression is pre-populated with a zero.

Make sure you delete this zero before you hit add.

The other method (once you know the language i.e. the available extensions such as .x .y .diam etc) is to type the commands straight in to the edit window.

In order to get it on the report you have two options.

1) Simply use a report comment to display the value as text

2) Create a generic feature (such as a circle) and use the expression value as the measured value of say the diameter, you can then use the nominal thickness as the nominal value and report it using normal dimension tolls like a Location Dimension.
    Last edited by NinjaBadger; 11-22-2019, 08:48 AM.
    Automettech - Automated Metrology Technology

Comment

• NinjaBadger
      NinjaBadger commented
      Editing a comment
      Edited - Thanks!

• UKCMM
      UKCMM commented
      Editing a comment
      A couple of things to take into consideration if the two diameters are not concentric then you will have errors in the dimension and roundness/form error can play havoc with this type of call out.

• superiorqc1
      superiorqc1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info, I get loosing the 0(you were correct in your guess as to how it happened), however I do not see how it gets solved nor how to use a report comment to display the value as text. I tried creating a generic feature but how do you choose the solved assignment and or expression value. I do not see any values associated with these assignments. Any help in understanding how to perform getting the dimensions out of these assignments, would be appreciated.

The variable holds the value - you access it by referencing the variable name.

Code:
    ASSIGN/SOMEVARIABLE=10.1
    F1         =GENERIC/CIRCLE,DEPENDENT,CARTESIAN,OUT,$
                NOM/XYZ,<0,0,0>,$
                MEAS/XYZ,<0,0,0>,$
                NOM/IJK,<0,0,1>,$
                MEAS/IJK,<0,0,1>,$
                DIAMETER/10,SOMEVARIABLE
    DIM LOC9= LOCATION OF CIRCLE F1  UNITS=MM ,$
    GRAPH=OFF  TEXT=OFF  MULT=10.00  OUTPUT=BOTH  HALF ANGLE=NO
    AX    NOMINAL       +TOL       -TOL       MEAS        DEV     OUTTOL
    D       10.000      0.100      0.100     10.100      0.100      0.000 --------#
    END OF DIMENSION LOC9
    Automettech - Automated Metrology Technology

Comment

Thanks, I get it now and have it working, I was missing the assign/somevariable=10.1 and the change to the generic feature at the end.

Comment