Drill point angle included in profile tolerance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill point angle included in profile tolerance?

Hello,

We are making a component which is defined by a reduced dimension drawing. One of the features that is explicitly stated on the drawing is a ø1.0 ±.1, ↓ .3 ±.1. As modeled, the hole is ø1.0 ↓ .3 with a 118° point extending past the full diameter. Our quality department is interpreting the inspection requirement as being the 118° angle needing to conform to the "profile of .06 unless otherwise specified" tolerance that applies to all un-dimensioned features. The machine shop interprets the hole callout (not model) as fully defining the feature, including the drill point angle which is optional unless called out as a countersunk hole.

Thoughts?

All "UN-DIMENSIONED" Features. ø1.0 ↓ .3 with a 118° is a feature callout, Profile does not apply. When they say un-dimensioned that's the form of anything that's not dimensioned. If I'm understanding your question correctly. Take a mold of the drill point, put it on a comparator and make sure it's 118°
    (In Memory of my Loving wife, "Ronda" who I lost March 7, 2016. I love you baby.)
    They say "Nobody's Perfect." I must be Nobody.

Comment

What KIRBSTER269 said.

The ø1.0 ±.1, ↓ .3 ±.1 is the specification and as such excluded from the profile.
      PC-DMIS CAD++ 2o19 R1 SP5

Comment

Is the 118 deg defined with a box around it like all other basic dimensions?
        Time for the Trolls to leave.

Comment

Just drill the hole with a 118° drill bit.

The angle isn't defined on the drawing; just hole diameter and depth, so the profile tolerance applies. The angle on the model is 118°. Given profiles are on surfaces you will have a range of drill point angles that can be used. If my math is any good that range is 108° to 128°. But, 118° is the only angle I could find for sale on MSC in that range.

Comment