Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z axis moves first

This is my first post so lets go.
    I'm using a 9.12.08 global S chrome and when I run a program the z axis moves first that means I have to watch to make sure it doesn't hit the calibration sphere. I've checked the clear point move sequence and that looks ok. I have a probe changer and if a different probe is used it picks up the correct probe then it takes off with the first movement is in Z. After the program runs the first time I have a move point so I don't have to worry after that. How can I get the Z axis to move once the probe is over the part (not worrying about hitting anything).
    thanks for the help.
    It will stick if you throw it hard enough.

Clearplane? Avoidance move inside a auto feature? or are you talking about when it leaves the part to go pick up a different probe? and/or comes back from picking up another probe?
    Last edited by KIRBSTER269; 10-23-2019, 11:36 AM.
    (In Memory of my Loving wife, "Ronda" who I lost March 7, 2016. I love you baby.)
    They say "Nobody's Perfect." I must be Nobody.

Comment

I've never used clear points, I use clearplanes. I know for fact if you have a "Move Clearplane" command at the start of the program, the machine will travel in Z to that defined height in Z then move across the table to the part, hitting anything in the way. If this is your problem, I would remove the "Move Clearpoint" 9assuming it works like clearplane) and would place a "Movepoint above the part an inch or so. This way, once the stylus is loaded it will travel from its staging point to the movepoint in a straight line ....
      Sheffield Endeavor3 9.20.8, Tesastar-SM, Leitz LSP-X1s & LSP-X1M, PCDMIS 2011 MR1

Comment

• Kp61dude!
        Kp61dude! commented
        Editing a comment
        You can define the clearpoints to move in a 2 step manner, first movement 1 axis, second 2 remaining axis. Eg. Move Z axis first, then move in XY axis. I use it to 'park' the CMM after each run.

Hi ogcharliebrown welcome to the forum. Posting your program along with your explination really helps us help you. If you can't post sensitive information... take that out.

So answer your question... I'm assuming you want the probe to clear elements that are sitting on your CMM table between probe swaps, right? If so, create move points.
      PcDmis 2015.1 SP10 CAD++
      Global 7-10-7 DC800S

Comment

It happens when I go from one program to another and it needs to change probes and at that point the Z axis moves first and then the X-Y will move. I'm trying to get the Z axis to move last. I've checked the clear point move sequence and that looks ok.

Comment

• KIRBSTER269
          KIRBSTER269 commented
          Editing a comment
          If using Clearplane, add a clearplane before movepoint. If not using a clearplane, use Move Increment and add just a "Z" value

• ogcharliebrown
          ogcharliebrown commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm using a clearance cube on the part. whenever it moves in z first then x then y like it's targeting the sphere. sometimes very close to it. It would make my life easier if I didn't have to worry about hitting it.

Why would you want the Z to move last ? Where is your sphere and what type of machine are you running ??

Comment

• Schlag
          Schlag commented
          Editing a comment
          See comments below. I would be sh!!ting bricks if my machine drove in X-Y to a spot and then raised the Z !! I would shear the head right off the stem. When you move in Z 1st you clear everything on the table and then drive to your X-Y.
          Last edited by Schlag; 10-23-2019, 12:35 PM.

• ogcharliebrown
          ogcharliebrown commented
          Editing a comment
          must have a different machine. my Z moves down to the part not up like you state.

• Schlag
          Schlag commented
          Editing a comment
          Z+ is up ( and safe ). Z- is table and part ( bottom / table = crash zone !)

I'm using a 9.12.08 global S chrome and when I run a program the z axis moves first that means I have to watch to make sure it doesn't hit the calibration sphere. I've checked the clear point move sequence and that looks ok. I have a probe changer and if a different probe is used it picks up the correct probe then it takes off with the first movement is in Z. After the program runs the first time I have a move point so I don't have to worry after that. How can I get the Z axis to move once the probe is over the part (not worrying about hitting anything).

Comment

• Schlag
          Schlag commented
          Editing a comment
          I typically end all my programs with a movepoint that will bring my probe really close to the the probe changer home point. If its a larger point I will part it at the par corner of the machine but I will always have the Z raised 16 inches minimum. Then when I start a new program and the 1st thing it does is change probes I save a few seconds and have good clearance for everything. My ist move in a program is uaually a z clearplane move to 16 inches as well so I know I am over the top of anything.

Hmm sounds to me like you want the MOUNT POINT on the probe rack to be much higher than you currently have it. That should force the probe to move in a straight line (and UP in Z) if you set your mount point really high, and essentially do what you are looking for.
        either that, or add a move/point at the beginning and end of every routine.

Comment

• ogcharliebrown
          ogcharliebrown commented
          Editing a comment
          I have plenty of clearance on the rack. like I said after it picks up the new probe it moves in z then x then y almost like I have a target on the calibration sphere, only when I'm going from one program to another and have to pick up a different probe. I have a move point at end of the program but not at the beginning.

Take a looksy at POST #12

https://www.pcdmisforum.com/forum/pc...probe-magazine
        (In Memory of my Loving wife, "Ronda" who I lost March 7, 2016. I love you baby.)

Comment

another thought, under F10 "Clear Point" tab, there's a Move Sequence you can toggle, along with adding the clearpoint, that would also do what you are asking.

Comment

• ogcharliebrown
            ogcharliebrown commented
            Editing a comment
            That's what I was thinking but that looks ok

I'll see if I can get a video posted so you can see what I mean.

Comment

• Kp61dude!
            Kp61dude! commented
            Editing a comment
            Or post your code, maybe????

IMG_2488

Comment

• ogcharliebrown
            ogcharliebrown commented
            Editing a comment
            that didn't work

• ogcharliebrown
            ogcharliebrown commented
            Editing a comment
            it wont let me post a .mov video.

ogcharliebrown At the beginning of your program, try

Code:
          MOVE/POINT,NORMAL,<0,0,>
          By leaving the Z entry blank, it will not move in Z. Instead, it will remain at the same Z as when it came off the probe rack and travel to a point such that X = 0 = Y. This will place the probe at your origin, with the height at which it leaves the probe rack.

Your probe is moving "down" in Z because it is coming off of the probe rack and going to the first position that you have defined in your program which I assume is below the rack. If your cal sphere is in the way, say goodbye. You can also look into clearance planes/cube as has been suggested. I myself prefer moves.
          Last edited by JacobCheverie; 10-23-2019, 02:34 PM.

Comment

• ogcharliebrown
            ogcharliebrown commented
            Editing a comment
            I will give it a try thanks

• Kp61dude!
            Kp61dude! commented
            Editing a comment
            Careful with those empty info move points whenever you're cut/copying them as, sometimes, they tend get a 0.0000 from your friendly Pc-Dmis without even asking for it. It may or may not cause an issue for you. But please don't let my comment take away from how super handy it is to leave inputs blank!

I changed the move sequence to "1: Y 2: XZ" and seams to be working. Thanks everyone and louisd it worked

Comment

Just to add on this, you can always turn the cube off, on the last feature, before probe changes, and replace it with your move points.

Capture.JPG

Comment