Docking speed question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Docking speed question

We recently got our new Global Blue setup up and I'm working on getting our probe builds set up. I was changing out the probes in DCC to make sure they would all load correctly. I do have one concern though. We intend to run this machine at its full 500mm per second. When it takes of the loaded probe into the rack, it docks at 10mm per second (I set this in the docking speed for the rack). However when it goes from there to pick up the next probe it goes at full 500mm per second. It is not crashing or anything but still very unsettling. Is there a way to change this speed as well?

Thanks.

I can not answer your question but I have one. Why would you want to run the CMM that fast? I would think that it would shorten the life of the CMM, and depending on type of CMM and size the machine needs time to settle before measuring. And crashes will most definitely cause big repair bill.
    Time for the Trolls to leave.

Comment

• HxSwartwood
      HxSwartwood commented
      Editing a comment
      It's the max speed the machine will run. While i agree about the crashes and possible cost, we have a HMA and the machine is brand new. My company bought it for the speed gains specifically.

https://www.pcdmisforum.com/forum/pc...rs=&viewfull=1

That is a link to the max speeds for Hex machines. I've been running my Global at max speed (500) since we got it (3 years ago) but NOT at max acceleration. Max acceleration is 2500, I run at 1000. Touch speed is at 6.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

• HxSwartwood
      HxSwartwood commented
      Editing a comment
      I wasn't sure if there was a setting to change it. It's not necessarily an issue as its not causing crashes, it just moves faster that I am used to. We have ours set at max acceleration and speed. Since its brand new I am not too worried about hurting it as it has warranty (excluding crashes of course).

If you got a typical install from Hex, you might want to check a couple things. If you are running at max speed and max acceleration, you need to do this:

Set up 'something' at the end of your table (not ON THE TABLE!), something that won't move easily. Then, put an indicator on that 'something' with the needle on the end of the table. Then make a real simple program that runs from the back to the front and to the back again. Watch that indicator. If it is moving 'too much', then your acceleration is too high. I lowered my acceleration until I was only seeing a couple tenths when it started/stopped. If the table is rocking, you're acceleration is too high. And unless you are only checking features at the far end and the near end of a long part, yeah, the acceleration value will show in run time, but if you are checking what I call 'normal' parts (features close together, say, 1"), then a real high acceleration compared to a low acceleration won't make any difference anyway.
    Last edited by Matthew D. Hoedeman; 10-22-2019, 11:52 AM.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

It's my understanding that this is version dependent. We were running 2014.1 before upgrading to 2017 R2 and the dock speed setting took care of both pick up and docking speed. Once I upgraded, the speed only affected the docking speed and the speed where the probe lowers for pickup/pullout. The speed before, in between, and after defaults to the movespeed in the program which was a little disappointing. I don't know for sure, but I heard 2018 got rid of the docking speed all together and uses the movespeed in the program only, but maybe someone with that version or later can verify. That's one of the reasons why I decided on 2017 R2, I wouldn't need to update all of my programs.

Comment

• HxSwartwood
        HxSwartwood commented
        Editing a comment
        I am running 2019 R2 on this machine and it has docking speed under the probe changer settings. But it seems move speed takes over after the initial dock like you said. Very strange they changed this to be this way. I could always change move speed to slow before every probe change.

Give her the beans! If you're already running that fast elsewhere why not do the same while swapping tips? I've been doing so for about 3yrs, it's the way management wants it. I warned of the potential carnage and they shut me up by buying spares for everything. I've yet to use up any of the spares. Time is money and they're happy with the books!
      PcDmis 2015.1 SP10 CAD++
      Global 7-10-7 DC800S

Comment