Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TP20 - not working on one of two machines

Hello Everyone!

I was searching the forum but could not find solution for this specific problem:
    1. I’m using DEA GLOBAL Classic with HH-MI-M Manual Probe Head and Renishaw TP20 module.
    2. This specific TP20 module is used on 2 different machines (2x DEA GLOBAL classic). It is calibrated with both machines
    3. Today this TP20 stopped working on one of the machines. There is no connection, LED light won’t lit and probe won’t register hits
    4. We thought that it is HH-MI-M problem but other modules we use on this machine are working fine, so that excludes Manual Probe Head as the culprit.
    5. This TP20 works on the other machine with no problem.
    6. Crash Pins on TP20 are hidden
    7. When we squeeze the Manual Probe Head to change the angle, the light turns on and the TP20 registers hits with no problem, but when we let go of the Head it disconnects (I attached photos to show the problem)
    8. If it wouldn’t work on both machines the cause would be the defective TP20. If the Manual Probe Head would malfunction then all the modules wouldn’t work with it. We are at loss.
    9. TP20 is not measuring magnetized parts or parts fixed with magnets
    10. Demagnetization of the TP20 did not help

We have no clue what to do. We predict that Renishaw will just say that it works for them.
    If anyone knows any tips or solutions it would be great and I would be forever grateful.

IMG_20191022_105044.jpgIMG_20191022_105056.jpg

I would try to clean all the contacts (TP20 and inside rotation head).
    I would also try measuring the depht inside the head, just checking if the contact could be unscrewed (I saw it on a tesastar-r).
    If the light is on when you touch the head, I believe that the problem is on it, just a bad contact.

Comment

As a last thing to try, sometimes when probe is crashed it pushes the pins out on the magnet side of tp20. When this happens you get no light. try putting magnet side down on table and push it down. You will feel it as it pushes the pins back in. of course you will loose all probe calibrations on both machines and have to recalibrate the probes. Why it works on one machine and not the other?
      Last edited by Randy P; 10-22-2019, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JEFMAN View Post
        I would try to clean all the contacts (TP20 and inside rotation head).
        I would also try measuring the depht inside the head, just checking if the contact could be unscrewed (I saw it on a tesastar-r).
        If the light is on when you touch the head, I believe that the problem is on it, just a bad contact.
        I'm not english native speaker but if You could elaborate on "measuring the depth inside the head" I would be grateful. Everything seems fixed, no wobbling.

Comment

#9 - TP20s and magnets don't work, the magnet is an inhibitor. If you're doing a lot of magnetized stuff, look into the TP20 NI

Last test - swap the bodies between the probe heads and see if the situation follows.

Every once in a while, a TP20 module won't work on a particular body, Renishaw will swap it out. That you've already qualified, though.....

Comment

Originally posted by Ellisant View Post

I'm not english native speaker but if You could elaborate on "measuring the depth inside the head" I would be grateful. Everything seems fixed, no wobbling.
            Welcome in the non-english native speaking world !!!!!!!

hhmim.JPG
            You should check the distance 2 (between both cmms)
            Maybe inserting an extension could give you some informations about the part which is wrong (head or probe).

Comment

Originally posted by JEFMAN View Post

Welcome in the non-english native speaking world !!!!!!!

hhmim.JPG
              You should check the distance 2 (between both cmms)
              Maybe inserting an extension could give you some informations about the part which is wrong (head or probe).
              You could also use a flat-blade screw driver, touch the outer silver metal ring (the threads) and the bronze post in the middle, it's a simple "on-off" switch, if the light doesn't come on, then the issue is not with the module.
              sigpic
              Originally posted by AndersI
              I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by RandomJerk View Post
                Last test - swap the bodies between the probe heads and see if the situation follows.

Every once in a while, a TP20 module won't work on a particular body, Renishaw will swap it out. That you've already qualified, though.....

Update: I swapped TP20 bodies between the machines. The particular TP20 module is still not responding when attached (all other TP20 modules used, work with no problem). That leaves the Manual Head Probe HH-MI-M as the main suspect. Question is: why all other TP20 modules work on this Head Probe with no problem, just this one can't connect.

Just to make it clear:

1. We have 2 machines DEA Global classic + HH-MI-M + TP20 body + 5x TP20 modules for each machine + 1 module (in question) that is calibrated and used on both machine interchangeably
                2. This one module stopped working (no connection), on one of the machines
                3. It works on the other one with no problem
                4. When TP20 bodies are swapped it still shows no connection
                5. All other TP20 modules work with no problem, no matter what body, machine or head is used
                6. With extension used, it still shows no connection
                7. Depth inside the head is smaller than the length of the thread on TP20 body (all other TP20 modules work with it). It definitely connects
                8. It looks like HH-MI-M malfunction? But why other modules have no problem with connection to it...
                Last edited by Ellisant; 10-23-2019, 05:01 AM.

Comment

Update 2.0:

We found a solution for now. There is a little set screw hidden under the rubber handle (picture below). Adjusting it made the faulty TP20 work again. We will see if it stays that way. Probably it moved somehow during the manual change of the angle (it is used very frequently).

HH-MI-M-M.jpg

Comment

• Schrocknroll
                    Schrocknroll commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for sharing the solution.