Generating a scan on a section cut/surface intersection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generating a scan on a section cut/surface intersection?

I am trying to generate a linear open scan on the intersection of two surfaces, but it seems I can't.

Consider the following:
    Capture.JPG

I want to generate a defined scan on the "ridge" where the two surfaces meet, but however I do it, I only get the upper or lower surface.
    I created a section cut and wanted to use that curve to place my start/end points, but it refuses to select on the curve.
    Tried holding SHIFT and click, the curve is highlighted but there is no points placed.

Got any tips?
    PC-DMIS CAD++ 2o19 R1 SP11

I'm not sure I follow. You want a scan on the ridge where the left hand arrow points to (scanning into the screen as shown in the image)? What are the two arrows on the right showing?
    Automettech - Automated Metrology Technology

Comment

I think it is a continuation of the same shape as it goes around a part, think looking at an L <----- with this view
      sigpic
      Originally posted by AndersI
      I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

• NinjaBadger
        NinjaBadger commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah right I get it.

I think the problem in this case is that the vectors don't exist along the curve.
      Getting them could be calculating the average of the upper vector and the lower one, and then input them in a xyz file with the right coordinates.
      However, I don't think that the cmm drift allows to measure it accurately...

Comment

• NinjaBadger
        NinjaBadger commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed on both count. Also if the part deviates from CAD (which it will) you're not going to be scanning right on the 'peak' anyway.

• vpt.se
        vpt.se commented
        Editing a comment
        This is my though as well as to why selection on the curve isn't possible. There are simply no vectors.

he could use (GASP!) a cylinder probe, but I don't know if it will work. I tried (ONCE, as a trial) to use just a plain extension as a cylinder probe to scan a 'flat' piece of sheet metal, but the SP25 stuff sure didn't like that! I calibrated a probe, then replaced it with the extension that was longer, and even though it was being done at the correct 'height' on the extension, it just moved wonky as heck. It wouldn't even follow a straight line without a bunch of crappy movement.
      sigpic
      I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

have you tried cross section scans not following the ridge but creating scans perpendicular to it? you'll just have to create a lot more scans than one continuous scan that follows the ridge.
        Che Guevara is a communist scumbag.

Comment

• vpt.se
          vpt.se commented
          Editing a comment
          Nope, seems tedious ;P

Appreciate the replies, I might have to choose another weapon for this particular task, like laser scan it.

At least I can stop trying to get PC-DMIS to place 1/D/2 points on the section cut curve...

Comment

Originally posted by vpt.se View Post
          Appreciate the replies, I might have to choose another weapon for this particular task, like laser scan it.

At least I can stop trying to get PC-DMIS to place 1/D/2 points on the section cut curve...
          With a laser scan, I believe that the best way is scanning with the laser line parallel to the edge (I was told it's the better way to do it).

Maybe a REVO head could do the job, unfortunately, it doesn't work on Hex cmm's, and they didn't bought yet any company which invent something like it ..... !

Comment

Originally posted by JEFMAN View Post

With a laser scan, I believe that the best way is scanning with the laser line parallel to the edge (I was told it's the better way to do it).

Maybe a REVO head could do the job, unfortunately, it doesn't work on Hex cmm's, and they didn't bought yet any company which invent something like it ..... !
            With the Romer, at training, I was told it is 'better' if the laser line 'goes around' the corner (radius), as in, if you are scanning a radius, the laser line should "look" like a circle, if ya know what I mean.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post

With the Romer, at training, I was told it is 'better' if the laser line 'goes around' the corner (radius), as in, if you are scanning a radius, the laser line should "look" like a circle, if ya know what I mean.
              2 teachers = 2 methods...
              It was with a tracker + T-scan.... On a squared edge (no radius).

Comment

Originally posted by JEFMAN View Post

2 teachers = 2 methods...
                It was with a tracker + T-scan.... On a squared edge (no radius).
                Maybe it is the type of scanner, this is a built-in laser on a Romer arm. Square edge the same, 'wrap' the shape. But then, Hex/BnS training is pretty spotty at times. The 'teacher' learned more from me at Romer training about the software than I learned from her.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
                  The 'teacher' learned more from me at Romer training about the software than I learned from her.
                  Is there anyone on this earth that wouldn't?

Comment