Measuring distance from theoretical points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Measuring distance from theoretical points

Hey all, this is my first post so bare that in mind.

Im fairly new to pc-dmis but ive gone the basic course from Hexagon.
    And now i got a product that i want to do a program for in the CMM, and it has gone fairly well.
    Its just two lenght dimensions that im having a problem with, both from theoretical points. (see picture with yellow marks)
    First of all, there is a angled plane (which has no angle dimension on the drawing), instead it got two lenght dimensions from two TED-dimensions(that outgo from the objects centerline).

If i set my orgin in the centerline, then construct a offset point 18mm from the centerline, the nominal lenght will be good, but it wont acctually be measured (since its all theoretical).
    Anyone have any ideas how i should measure this?
    Also sorry for the bad quality of the photo.

Im thankful for response.

pc dmis.PNG

Either measure the 2 points using properly vectored points or construct lines that will intersect that angled surface and then construct intersect points from those.

Comment

Originally posted by pcdmisstudent View Post
      Hey all, this is my first post so bare that in mind.

Im fairly new to pc-dmis but ive gone the basic course from Hexagon.
      And now i got a product that i want to do a program for in the CMM, and it has gone fairly well.
      Its just two lenght dimensions that im having a problem with, both from theoretical points. (see picture with yellow marks)
      First of all, there is a angled plane (which has no angle dimension on the drawing), instead it got two lenght dimensions from two TED-dimensions(that outgo from the objects centerline).

If i set my orgin in the centerline, then construct a offset point 18mm from the centerline, the nominal lenght will be good, but it wont acctually be measured (since its all theoretical).
      Anyone have any ideas how i should measure this?
      Also sorry for the bad quality of the photo.

Im thankful for response.

pc dmis.PNG

Welcome to the forum. I'd tell you to run now, but it's probably already too late.

That's a cute thingamawhatsit you got there. Since you say TED rather than BASIC I am going guess your in the ISO GD&T world rather the ASME GD&T world. I don't think it makes any difference for this conundrum, but want to point it out because in other cases, especially those involving profile of a surface, it will matter, and the majority of the folks on this forum work exclusively in ASME GD&T, so make sure you point it out.

For this, it appears to something like a 'gage cone' type of control on the angled surface.

Make sure you are in the proper workplane. (very important)

I would say that you should first create a generic line that is 18 above 0 in the vertical axis as shown. Intersect that with the angled face to get a point. For the 47,04 ±0,1 dimension that intersection point to the Zero (Zed) on the right hand side of the view. Use a 2D distance dimension, parallel to the horizontal axis.

Repeat the process creating a generic line 18 below vertical Zero and intersect it with the angled face. For the 11,22 ±0,05 dimension that new intersection point to the other intersection point you created previously, again using 2D distance parallel to the horizontal axis in the proper workplane.

HTH (Hope This Helps)

Last edited by Wes Cisco; 08-21-2019, 02:24 PM. Reason: extraneous emojii deportation
      sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

Wes Cisco : nice explanation !Just a thought, an avatar with Tintin, Milou and Capitaine Haddock, I guess that pcdmisstudent come from the ISO world ! (even if those Belgium heroes are welknown all around the world !)

Comment

Originally posted by JEFMAN View Post
          Wes Cisco : nice explanation !Just a thought, an avatar with Tintin, Milou and Capitaine Haddock, I guess that pcdmisstudent come from the ISO world ! (even if those Belgium heroes are welknown all around the world !)
          Who?

I like my avatar. IRL I am a redbearded Wizard. I made that avatar many years ago for a CMM/Pc-Dmis forum that no longer exists. I started with a public domain black and white image of a wizard. I added the colors and the animation. That was over a decade before I moved out here to the fabulous San Francisco Bay Area. Now I am a genuine red-bearded Silicone Valley Wizard! I think that is just as good as a Belguim hero, but then again I am admittedly biased on the subject.

Anyway & as always, glad I could help. Just doing my part to pay it forward for the sake of all the giants on whose shoulders I stand. Humpy Hapday!

sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment