another projecting a plane and intersecting it with a cone question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another projecting a plane and intersecting it with a cone question...

So i've looked this up and tried everything and it doesnt seem to work for me... so I need to construct a plane .700 up from datum D and intersect with a cone to see what the diameter size is...

construct plane, I select datum D, check 'specific theoreticals' type in Z .700, construct circle, select constructed plane... what am I missing... everything is ok then when I run the program its not working.. its as if i am not .700 up from datum D... I hope this makes sense to someone on here its been giving me problems for a few days..

Either create an offset point in the direction you want the plane, then construct a plane parallel to the offset plane through that point.

But it's even easier. Feature...Constructed...Circle. Select the cone, then select "Cone" from the drop down. Once you do, you'll see another dropdown underneath that will say Diameter. From there you'll generally select "Origin" under Point and either "Cone Vector" or a specified direction.

Comment

Originally posted by RandomJerk View Post
      Either create an offset point in the direction you want the plane, then construct a plane parallel to the offset plane through that point.

But it's even easier. Feature...Constructed...Circle. Select the cone, then select "Cone" from the drop down. Once you do, you'll see another dropdown underneath that will say Diameter. From there you'll generally select "Origin" under Point and either "Cone Vector" or a specified direction.
      In value do I give it the diameter its supposed to be?... confused havent seen this before

Comment

neither of those seem to work.. i constructed an offset point .700.... then I constructed a plane and selected that point but when I check the location of that constructed plane its XYZ = 0

Comment

WOW... ok it now works...I was not constructing an offset point which is why it was not working..... -_-

let me run the program 5 more times to make sure it repeats ... thank you for your help randomjerk. I really appreciate it.

Comment

• RandomJerk
            RandomJerk commented
            Editing a comment
            You're welcome. It is a bit confusing, you have three feature types, point/line/plane, that have offset options, but they work completely differently for line/plane than point.

You could just construct a circle using the 'cone' option.

When you specify a height you can specify it from cone apex, centroid or origin I believe.
          Applications Engineer
          Hexagon UK

Comment