Replace CAD (Same part, just longer)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace CAD (Same part, just longer)

Hello all and hopefully I can get some direction here.

I have a program setup for a part currently and we are manufacturing a part that is nearly identical, just longer. I have the program without manual alignments, as the part sits on a fixture in a set location. Now, is it possible to replace the car file, transform and align, and then make some type of global offset to the hit points in the Z axis to adjust for the new parts taller size??

I'll do you one better:
    add a label/partinput
    add a comment/input prompt at the beginning of the routine. C1: "What part is being measured Shorter(1) or Longer(2)"
    make sure you add a validation loop to force a valid entry:
    If/c1.input!=(1) or (2)
    Comment/operator: "Invalid entry, dummy! Please type either 1 or 2."
    goto/partinput
    endif/

then use that comment later to control the length value of your features or alignment to the set of features at the long end.
    assign/lengthvalue: If(c1.input==1, type in the length1 nominal, type in the length2 nominal)

then for the initial point/feature on the far end of the part, use lengthvalue as the typed in value for the axis it's along.
    align to that first point/feature.

now your one routine can measure both parts.

Comment

Welcome qc_shawn.

Is the part simply longer (as louisd speculates) and you need to measure the length of the longer part, OR do you need to move a whole load of features measurements?

NB
      Automettech - Automated Metrology Technology

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaBadger View Post
        Welcome qc_shawn.

Is the part simply longer (as louisd speculates) and you need to measure the length of the longer part, OR do you need to move a whole load of features measurements?

NB
        The part is longer and will be placed vertical on the table. I am measuring in this first program the bottom of the parts features. I would need to move all hits up a few inches so that the probe does not go past the plane and crash. Kind of like how CNC machines have a global offset, I would like to just like to move the complete Z of the program. Is this possible? The program does have a manual program at the beginning that we skip due to the part being on a fixture in a specific location.

Should I do the manual alignment on the new part, then copy and paste the DCC program from the old part and will that work?

Comment

Hi, I'm pretty new on programming-but i use the same fixture on different parts (some longer, some shorter) so after recalling the external alignment, i make a new alignment and just do a Z offset and then run DCC mode
          Code
          RECALL/ALIGNMENT,EXTERNAL,BOLT_VERT
          A0 =ALIGNMENT/START,RECALL:BOLT_VERT,LIST=YES
          ALIGNMENT/TRANS_OFFSET,ZAXIS,0.1275
          ALIGNMENT/END

Comment

F5 > Part/machine tab > Z offset > enter value to offset > click apply

... if you wanna cheat, if anything like my world sometimes I just need to run product right now and get looking it pretty later

the fancy version might be just save that offset with a new program name... set that offset in the z and when it works do file>save as>'long part program' and you have a program for each just like that
            Last edited by Douglas; 08-17-2019, 11:24 AM.

Comment