Shank Probes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shank Probes

Does anyone here use Shank probes? Any thoughts on them? Just want to hear what others think of them.
    Darroll
    2018R2

Pretty much useless. While Pcdmis allows a 'shank calibration', it does not USE the shank calibration, it was an aborted addition to the software that was never finished. If you are not 100% perp/parallel to what you are measuring, you get bogus values.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

I had some injected molded plastic parts. Circular rings that were press-fit into locomotive breaking assemblies. The ODs were conical (opening up and out to my advantage)..but the height of the cone could vary ±0.03" per print. So, instead of increasing cycle time & making alignments to find the top, or intersecting the OD cone with the top (and constantly beeping over flash [flash = plastic burr for all of you non plastic folks] and getting junk numbers that would p!$$ everyone off) I used a shank to beep the OD. I felt comfortable doing this because the tolerances of the ODs themselves were ±0.006" or greater and the CMM was being used to detect if there was a "problem"...the actual acceptance of the OD itself was a fit/form/function check by my company's Final Insp Dept.

On any machine I have used (all TP20 or HP-TM[US] tri-lobe probing systems), shanks aren't the most accurate and I normally wouldn't use them but they were good for me in that circumstance. I remember getting STDDEV of like 0.00025/0.0003ish when qualifying.

What are you thinking doing?

No matter what you do, make sure you can correlate your CMM results with established methods before using it as your PASS/FAIL.
      Last edited by DAN_M; 08-05-2019, 07:42 AM.
      Beep beep beep..

Comment

I use them, but only for thin parts that have minimum measuring surface.

Comment

• sealevel
          sealevel commented
          Editing a comment
          + one bazillion.
          (and only for features with not-too-finicky tolerances)

We have them. Back in the DAY, if a part had a thread on it thats what was used to minimize probe changes..... That being said for all the downfalls with them, we never had a part rejection that we could base on a shank probe. When we have time we are eliminating them from older legacy programs and do not program new parts with them.

Comment

I found them very useful when it come to sheet metal or welded parts, keep in mind, because of the bending and warping, They are not as inaccurate as others may say. After runnng several test and different levels of the shank, getting repeatability and when actually laying parts out and being within a couple of tenths, I would rate them as a very dependable probe.

Shhhhh, don't tell anyone, but I'm pretty sure if they didn't work, they wouldn't make them anymore.
          (In Memory of my Loving wife, "Ronda" who I lost March 7, 2016. I love you baby.)
          They say "Nobody's Perfect." I must be Nobody.

Comment

I use them with caution with indexable heads but they can be very handy with infinite style wrists.
            Systems Integrator
            Hexagon Manufacturing Intelligence

Comment

I use the 1mm and 2mm fairly often but always as the last option which is usually trying to measure on a very thin surfaces. I've always tried to maintain my hits fairly close to the radius of the shank and never go too high. Never had an issue with R&R or correlation with alternate methods like comparators and micrometers and our newer addition, the 443 Optiv cam CMM.

Comment