X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to pc-dmis with some inquiries

Hey guys

Im new amoung you here and to pc dmis also ,
    I have recently bieng assigned to work in a lab as an operator in which we run several tests including cmm, but our work with it is very limited , only open and run already created file programs , but I was so fasinated with it and wnted so bad to learn all about it ,

The issue is that my employer wont assign a course for me , because there is already a cmm technicien job in which he will be in charge of all the editings etc.

also i wanted to buy the course but it was extremly expensive (+1000€) , should I lose hope of mastering this amazing feild ,

one last thing , can someone please write me the steps of creating a programe from scratch , we have a cmm probe with magnetic styli

hope there will be replies

Don't give up. The best way to do it at the moment is to SHOW your employer your thirst for knowledge. Aggravate the programmer with questions. Watch what they do. Open a program and look at its structure. Then when the guy either retires or moves on, you can step in their shoes. Ask questions here too. The folks here are very knowledgeable and will go at great lengths to help you. Good luck!!!
    Darroll
    2018R2

Comment

The funny/irritating thing about PC-DMIS is that if you measure anything with it manually, you have essentially started writing a program. Unlike other software, PC-DMIS is always in "Learn" mode. When you create a feature or a dimension, the code pops right into the program where ever your cursor is.

That being said, writing a good solid program that accurately and repeatably checks a part to the print is very different than just creating a program that will run in DCC mode.

If you are able to work with the CMM, make sure you create a test program to work in since, as I said before, you will be placing code within the program for almost anything you do, including probe angle changes.
      PC-DMIS 2016.0 SP8

Jeff

Comment

• Quality ish
        Quality ish commented
        Editing a comment
        We have a program called "Daily" or "Working", that is a basic template (probe, tip angle, move speed, scan speed, etc. If we don't have an existing program, I'll start measuring with this program, writing code as I go. If I get to a point and realize that I want to save it, I just "Save as" the part number, and go on from there.

Where in the world are you?
      Automettech - Automated Metrology Technology

Comment

Thank you all guys for you replies i wil stick to your instructions ,

Ninjabadger , Im from morocco

Comment

Wow! That's interesting! You speak French like Jeffman?
          Darroll
          2018R2

Comment

Another idea would be to create a hexagon account (https://support.hexagonmi.com/) then search for PCDMIS USER MANUAL. Download, bring it home, and read it!
            Let your supervisors know you read the whole manual and you would like to pursue writing a simple program to check some parts with it.

Comment

Hello Everyone,
              I was introduced to CMM back in 2008 in my previous job. I started as tumbler back in March, 2003 $9.00hr start. The manager saw that I have potential and was transferred to assembly Dept.$12.00hr and then to QA $15.00 Then the company was introduced CMM, so I was chosen and another person to learn CMM Zeiss Calypso in Indianapolis for 5 days. I was fascinated with it's sophistication so I kept learning as much as I can, but unfortunately I was promised with $$$, but did not deliver and opportunity knocked and moved on . Started at my new Job as a CMM operator May, 2010. The ,main programmer left the company for Tesla. So I was the next person in line. I was sent to PCDMIS and GD&t trainning beginning and intermediate that's it. The rest is on me to learn my own. I know I can learn more If they send me to more into programming course. I just do what I can to program by figuring things out and also PCDMIS FORUM, which is an AWSOMME FORUM!

Comment

I took as many courses involving PC-DMIS as I could through HEXAGONMETROLOGYU. Many of them are free, and helped me get a basic understanding of the degrees of freedom, and what features would constrain them. Some are for CMM, some for Romer Arms, etc, but the basic PC-DMIS information is consistent. Once I'd done all the free ones, I paid for online courses here and there, as I could afford them ($49 and below). Most of them give you three months or more to complete them, and I was done in days, including the tests (yes, certificates are awarded) Now I have something like 18 different certificates from HexagonMetrologyU that I'm trying to use to convince my employer to send me to school (I've invested in myself. Are you willing to help me learn to do a better job for you?)

Maybe if you show some certificates to your employer, showing that you've got a basic grasp of the knowledge required, they'll be more likely to send you.

As somebody else said: Sending you to school is a lot cheaper than repairing the machine in many cases.

Comment

Originally posted by louisd View Post
                  Another idea would be to create a hexagon account (https://support.hexagonmi.com/) then search for PCDMIS USER MANUAL. Download, bring it home, and read it!
                  Let your supervisors know you read the whole manual and you would like to pursue writing a simple program to check some parts with it.
                  ^^^ THIS ^^^
                  Obviously, you're around a real CMM at your job. Apply what you see day in day out to the fascination you have stated by plodding through the .pdf manual.... preferably of the release you guys use.
                  get it here::::::::::::
                  ftp://wilcoxassoc.com/docs/v2019r1manual/ (for example for 2019 release)
                  For me? Yeah, the week of Demon 101 was ok (and I didn't pay for course/trip) but the treasure is in digging in to the manual. If you're as you say.... enthralled with everything PC-DMIS..... read, read and if you hit the boring/dry stuff? Plod thru it anyways. DO NOT SKIP pages. They're all in a sequence for a reason. The greatest thing about the endeavour is the feeling when you were foggy on something, read it again...and the light came on... nice!
                  READ THE MANUAL before just asking someone here to give you the steps to make a program.
                  my 2¢.... and good luck!

Comment

I thought that read 'injuries' and thought yep that is pcdmis alright

Comment

Originally posted by Quality ish View Post
                      I took as many courses involving PC-DMIS as I could through HEXAGONMETROLOGYU. Many of them are free, and helped me get a basic understanding of the degrees of freedom, and what features would constrain them. Some are for CMM, some for Romer Arms, etc, but the basic PC-DMIS information is consistent. Once I'd done all the free ones, I paid for online courses here and there, as I could afford them ($49 and below). Most of them give you three months or more to complete them, and I was done in days, including the tests (yes, certificates are awarded) Now I have something like 18 different certificates from HexagonMetrologyU that I'm trying to use to convince my employer to send me to school (I've invested in myself. Are you willing to help me learn to do a better job for you?)

Maybe if you show some certificates to your employer, showing that you've got a basic grasp of the knowledge required, they'll be more likely to send you.

As somebody else said: Sending you to school is a lot cheaper than repairing the machine in many cases.
                      can you please provide me with the website for the paid courses you took with certifications

Comment

Originally posted by Mranaskw View Post

can you please provide me with the website for the paid courses you took with certifications
                        Go to the top of this page and you'll see "Online Training". Click on that and it will take you to learning.hexagonmi.com which has a lot of Online courses you can take.
                        Last edited by Schrocknroll; 05-25-2019, 06:12 AM.
                        PC-DMIS 2016.0 SP8

Jeff

Comment

also YOUTUBE is a helluva source.

check out the videos from CMM XYZ. they do some great intro and advanced tutorials.

IN ADDITION, the entire manual is in PCDMIS itself.
                          Open PCDMIS, HELP, INDEX

Everything you need to know to get started is there.
                          Importing cad files
                          How to create Alignments
                          How to build a probe file
                          How to build reports
                          How to do all the fundamentals.

It is all there.

But the most important thing is having a solid grasp of surface plate inspection methods.
                          The CMM is just another tool in an inspectors arsenal. Understanding GDT before you ever open PCDMIS is an important necessity.

Now, you can survive without all that background, but the more you understand GDT, SURFACE PLATE, and basic manufacturing methods is going to help immensely with how you write programs and evaluate data from the CMM.

Good luck.
                          Last edited by BIGWIG7; 05-25-2019, 01:08 PM.
                          Che Guevara is a communist scumbag.

Comment