Creating a new custom probe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating a new custom probe

I am trying to create a custom probe but I run into some problems.

What I have tried:
    I opened up the "PROBE.dat" file in notepad (following advice I found online), copied an existing probe and modified it to my specification. It's a simple cylinder probe. I tried to save the .dat file again with the modification but I cannot due to limited user restriction. I can save a different file inside the same folder however so I created a "USRPROBE.dat" file inside which contains my custom probe tip . Problem is that PC Dmis is not reading the probe due to it not being in the "PROBE.dat" file. Is it possible to have PC Dmis read the "USRPROBE.dat" file? Or is the "PROBE.dat" file the only thing it can read.

I also tried copying the "PROBE.dat" file on the desktop, alter it and save it but I can't seem to move it back to the PC Dmis folder due to not having valid permission. Also tried renaming the "PROBE.dat" file but again, no permission.

It's an old computer and we are having trouble connecting it to the internet to change permissions. Is it possible to create a custom probe without altering the "PROBE.dat" file?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

You should never modify PROBE.DAT, as it will be overwritten if/when you update PC-DMIS.
    You should create the new probe in a file called USRPROBE.DAT, but depending on your PC-DMIS version the location of this file differs, I don't remember the exact breaking points:

Old versions: Same folder as PC-DMIS is installed.
    In between: C:\ProgramData\WAI\PCDMIS\<version>
    New versions: C:\ProgramData\Hexagon\PCDMIS\<version>
    AndersI
    SW support - Hexagon Metrology Nordic AB

Comment

• mckenzie
      mckenzie commented
      Editing a comment
      the file path locations are listed in the appendix of the release notes for each PC-DMIS version

Originally posted by AndersI View Post
    You should never modify PROBE.DAT, as it will be overwritten if/when you update PC-DMIS.
    You should create the new probe in a file called USRPROBE.DAT, but depending on your PC-DMIS version the location of this file differs, I don't remember the exact breaking points:

Old versions: Same folder as PC-DMIS is installed.
    In between: C:\ProgramData\WAI\PCDMIS\<version>
    New versions: C:\ProgramData\Hexagon\PCDMIS\<version>
    I have created the "USRPROBE.dat" file and it's sitting in the same folder as the "PROBE.dat" file. It's however not picking up the probe. Only information I have in the "USRPROBE.dat" file is the probe information. I don't think I need anything else but I could be wrong.

Comment

• AndersI
      AndersI commented
      Editing a comment
      Read what I wrote in post #2 above, and tell us what version of PC-DMIS you're using if you still don't get it to work.

If I remember correctly , we are suppose to cut Probe.dat and put it into a new folder. Than start PcDmis and a new Probe.dat will be created.
    sigpicSummer Time. Gotta Love it!

Comment

• AndersI
      AndersI commented
      Editing a comment
      ?? (and som filler to get to ten characters)

AndersI Old version. Version 4.0 to be exact.

Comment

• AndersI
      AndersI commented
      Editing a comment
      OK, then I believe USRPROBE.DAT should be in the same folder as PC-DMIS is installed. Do note that PC-DMIS only reads that file when starting (or maybe when opening a part program). If you have PC-DMIS running, a pp open, it won't see the changes you make to USRPROBE.DAT. And make sure you didn't do the standard error when doing this for the first time and called the file USeRPROBE.DAT. :-)

AndersI It's named "usrprobe.dat". Not sure if case sensitivity matters. It's located in the same folder but I am still not seeing it. Not sure if I have to do something in PC Dmis to have it read.

Comment

In that case, the most probable cause is the connection information in the definition - if the first line of the definition ends in M2, this part will only show up if your current probe build has a connection of type M2 (and so on with other connection types). Do note that some connections have generic types (M2, M4) while some other have specific types (DEA, LEITZ1, LSPX1, SP25, etc.).

Also note that some parts are essential, and need to be there, at the right place

ITEM:tipname connectiontype
      begintip
      … (visual information only, not really needed to make it work)
      hotspot x y z i j k d d type
      endtip
      AndersI
      SW support - Hexagon Metrology Nordic AB

Comment

• jmills
        jmills commented
        Editing a comment
        Mmmm..mine does end with a M2 and I just copied and pasted an existing probe and altered it to my specifications. I will modify the probe some more to see if it's gets picked up. Still wondering if PC Dmis can read the usrprobe file.

A pain in the ***...
      that what PC Dmis has made out of custom probe building!
      I just went through this terrible mess about 2 weeks ago.
      I hope to never have to do it again

Comment

• jmills
        jmills commented
        Editing a comment
        lol. So what did you end up coming up with? If you don't mind me asking.

all I can say is read the help file on "Editing the usrprobe.dat Data file" and good luck understanding it.
      Because I don't have a clue.
      keep posting and reaching out for help and maybe one of these smarter guys will be merciful enough to enlighten us to this wonder!
      We edited the probe via notepad and was able to funiggle it to work. idk how in the **** the guy did it but it worked.

Comment

right click on the usrprobe.dat file and open it with notepad.
        from there you can edit it.
        I don't know where to even go from there

Comment