I Made A Thing

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I Made A Thing

    I was wondering If there was any interest in this. I've been working on this code for nearly 2 years. Not every QC lab has the same demands/challenges so I doubt this will be for everyone. I'm interested in hearing feedback if this would be useful to you or not. Personally, I'm buried alive at my shop and this has been a life saver.

    https://youtu.be/K9sclcbPfG4

  • #2
    If it does what I think I does then this would be immensely helpful.
    Is it basically just running the same program in various locations on the table that were defined in the first section of the video?

    Comment


    • #3
      What exactly are you trying to do with this? Offer it to other shops for money? Open source? Flexing your muscle for potential employers/resume(not a bad idea)?
      PcDmis 2015.1 SP10 CAD++
      Global 7-10-7 DC800S

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Kp61dude! View Post
        What exactly are you trying to do with this? Offer it to other shops for money? Open source? Flexing your muscle for potential employers/resume(not a bad idea)?
        [insert troll face] I don't care about selling it, too lazy. I would prefer cleaning up the code before releasing it into the wild (super bloated subroutine). I can't see myself doing this job for much longer so just seeing what my options are here.

        Originally posted by Loon4ever View Post
        If it does what I think I does then this would be immensely helpful.
        Is it basically just running the same program in various locations on the table that were defined in the first section of the video?
        It uses the thread wells in the table for starting point. they are numbered and the program determines which one to go to next.
        Last edited by Griffin; 04-22-2019, 12:58 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Griffin View Post

          [insert troll face] I don't care about selling it, too lazy. I would prefer cleaning up the code before releasing it into the wild (super bloated subroutine). I can't see myself doing this job for much longer so just seeing what my options are here.



          It uses the thread wells in the table for starting point. they are numbered and the program determines which one to go to next.
          Post it!
          PcDmis 2015.1 SP10 CAD++
          Global 7-10-7 DC800S

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Kp61dude! View Post

            Post it!
            If I'm just going to give it out, I would like it to be in a form that anyone can take advantage of. Not just usable by the best programmers among us. It could use some work instructions that I haven't written yet. There's still a lot of work to be done on it and I don't know python (?) so it's all done in PCDMIS which isn't ideal.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Griffin View Post

              If I'm just going to give it out, I would like it to be in a form that anyone can take advantage of. Not just usable by the best programmers among us. It could use some work instructions that I haven't written yet. There's still a lot of work to be done on it and I don't know python (?) so it's all done in PCDMIS which isn't ideal.
              Revisions are used by many... just look at PcDmis 2015.1, it stopped at SP10. I won't burn you for your initial release.

              The thing you made is cool! I spent about 1.5yrs attempting to bulletproof this... didn't quite finish it (or made it extremely dummy proof). Only a hand few of operators could troubleshoot the beast. Pumped out 300pcs per shift compared to just 32pcs. Had 3000pc lots with half a dozen or so 100% inspected features (per contract). Didn't finish due to leaving the place and there's no need for anything like that here...I haven't had the opportunity to recreate it.
              Last edited by Kp61dude!; 04-22-2019, 06:12 PM.
              PcDmis 2015.1 SP10 CAD++
              Global 7-10-7 DC800S

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm not sure I follow what's special about it? Just running the same program in different locations?

                Sorry, I don't mean to knock what you've done, I'm glad it's useful for you but I don't see what outside standard PC-Dmis code (Looping and recalling external alignments) needs to be involved here.

                Automettech - Automated Metrology Technology

                Comment


                • #9
                  OP, this looks great.
                  If you feel like "beta testing" it, please feel free to share the code. In my workplace we don't do too many serial controls, regardless, it looks great and would certainly help for some serial controls that we do.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by NinjaBadger View Post
                    I'm not sure I follow what's special about it? Just running the same program in different locations?

                    Sorry, I don't mean to knock what you've done, I'm glad it's useful for you but I don't see what outside standard PC-Dmis code (Looping and recalling external alignments) needs to be involved here.
                    I could definitely demonstrate it better. There is a whole lot going on in this that might not be apparent. For instance, jog box doesn't move. This program finds each part itself and automatically creates an initial alignment so no manual hits are required ever. So, while I do use external alignments, they are not predefined and fixtures are not needed.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Griffin View Post

                      I could definitely demonstrate it better. There is a whole lot going on in this that might not be apparent. For instance, jog box doesn't move. This program finds each part itself and automatically creates an initial alignment so no manual hits are required ever. So, while I do use external alignments, they are not predefined and fixtures are not needed.
                      It's been done before... I'm more curious on your approach. So far we all have somewhat the same approach. I too didn't use fixtures or manual alignments I even had every other part rotated @ 180° and staggered in pairs to squeeze more parts in the measuring envelope. It wasn't easy for me. Good job to you - you did it! The people have responded, they are interested... your move next.
                      Last edited by Kp61dude!; 04-23-2019, 09:57 AM.
                      PcDmis 2015.1 SP10 CAD++
                      Global 7-10-7 DC800S

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Ok well how about this... give me a week and I'll clean it up some, add documentation, add instructions, and release it as a "Beta" like Alvaro mentioned. I'm sure there are plenty of things in the code you guys would do differently. There's even stuff I would do differently and just haven't gotten around to it yet. I think that feedback would be helpful. How would one go about such a release? I was thinking start a google drive group. (for all the files like work instructions)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Google Drive Group is a better idea than I had personally.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by phil up on Youtube
                            Sorry nothing new here pallets/grids/loops all done before please stop trying to claim this is doing something magical . Searching for a part rough located and setting an alignment without manual intervention is something I was doing 20 plus years ago using Mitutoyo software.
                            Oh hi there phil up, you seemed to have posted to the wrong forum. Also, needlessly offensive. Do you mind explaining what you mean by pallets/grids/loops? After all, it is why I made this post, to get feedback from people. I understand I may be late to the party but I wouldn't count anyone out from being able to add value to the community. It's strange why I wasn't using your programs all along if you've solved all these problems 20 years ago.

                            Comment


                            • Griffin
                              Griffin commented
                              Editing a comment
                              After cooling down a bit, I would like to apologize to the community. I realize that regardless of what others say to me, I have an obligation to adhere to the guidelines of the forums and I did not do that.

                            • mckenzie
                              mckenzie commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Griffin i wouldn't take anything seriously from someone who feels it necessary to create a new account just to make a comment. even you know what you're doing is wrong if you feel the need to hide behind a new account.

                              on a more positive note, back to your original post i like what you've done and would like to see it whenever you feel like posting it.

                            • Kp61dude!
                              Kp61dude! commented
                              Editing a comment
                              You know you have PcDmis swag when there's a crowd of haters around you! Bahahaha!
                          widgetinstance 190 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X