Out Of Tolerance Zero but Red

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out Of Tolerance Zero but Red

I separate my reports by passed and failed. Passing reports go to one folder and failing to another. In my opinion, reporting a dimension 0.0000 in red is considered passing since we don't work in the 5 decimal place. Technically/mathematically the part is oot but if a manager looks at the pdf report and asks how far is the part oot, the answer is 0.

How can I get a dimension like this to go to my passed folder instead of the failed one?

If something else is out to tolerance than this is void because something else failed. I figure I have to write code for every dimension in case another on is out in the 5th decimal place. I wanted to start with 1 dimension to get the code right.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Best practice for all manufacturing activity, ever, is to make the parts actually inside the tolerance zone and not teetering on the bleeding edge of the dimensional limit.

Write 'em up and stick to your guns. Dare them to call the customer and ask permission to ship parts a blonde c-hair past the limit.

Comment

• Darrollh
      Darrollh commented
      Editing a comment
      I was a CNC machinist and what I use to do was run the parts about . 002 from the bottom of the tolerance and when it got to nominal, it was time to change inserts. Never had a problem with red.

• A-machine-insp
      A-machine-insp commented
      Editing a comment
      We run into this at my job from time to time. 99% of out part are allowed to weight the part (Boeing PS 23041) to bring it in to tolerance but, when this does happen, we will tell the shop it is acceptable but an adjustment needs to be made and we want to check the next part.

So how far out of print are you willing to accept ? A bright red is bad but a dark red is OK ?

Comment

If I was forced by my employer to do this, I would:

assign/VStatus=0 'at beginning of program for a boolean function. 0 = good part, 1 = bad part

assign/VCheck={output}.{type of output}.OOT 'this entire block repeating after every dimensional output checking if OOT is big enough to show a .0001 when rounded.
      if/VCheck>=.00005 then Vstatus=1 'if it is big enough to show a .0001 or greater set VStatus to 1, signifying bad part
      if?VCheck<=-.00005 then VStatus=1 'I don't remember off the top of my head if OOT does negative values or not, if so, this checks the negative side for .0001

If/VStatus=0 then {save path to good folder} 'this block at end of program to set a variable to the desired directory path
      If/VStatus=1 then {save path to good folder}

Print command to file with correct path 'save the file to the path decided by the code.

Whether or not you do this is up to you. I don't know what you are making, what tolerances are applied, or what the potential downside of being 49 millionths of an inch off might be. I do know that if you didn't have a CMM, like most of the manufacturing community, you probably wouldn't have inspection tooling that could actually "see" the part being 49 millionths out of print.

Live with what you do, and do what you can live with.

Comment

here's something i did:

Code:
        CIR8 =FEAT/CONTACT/CIRCLE/DEFAULT,CARTESIAN,OUT,MIN_CIRCSC
                    THEO/<0,0,-0.1899>,<0,0,1>,2.28,0
                    ACTL/<0.0001,-0.0001,-0.1899>,<0,0,1>,2.2803,0
                    TARG/<0,0,-0.1899>,<0,0,1>
                    START ANG=0,END ANG=360
                    ANGLE VEC=<0,-0.999753,-0.0222252>
                    DIRECTION=CCW
                    SHOW FEATURE PARAMETERS=NO
                    SHOW CONTACT PARAMETERS=NO
                    ASSIGN/V1=CIR8.D.MEAS
                    ASSIGN/V2=LEFT(V1,6)
        F1         =GENERIC/POINT,DEPENDENT,CARTESIAN,$
                    NOM/XYZ,<0.6791,-0.823,V2>,$
                    MEAS/XYZ,<-1.4088,0.2459,V2>,$
                    NOM/IJK,<0,0,1>,$
                    MEAS/IJK,<0,0,1>
                    COMMENT/REPT,

Bubble 49A:
                    Ø 2.28 +0.0005/ -0.0000
        DIM 49A2_LOC2= LOCATION OF POINT F1  UNITS=IN ,$
        GRAPH=OFF  TEXT=OFF  MULT=10.00  OUTPUT=BOTH  HALF ANGLE=NO
        AX    NOMINAL       +TOL       -TOL       MEAS        DEV     OUTTOL
        Z       2.28*1     0.0005     0.0005     2.2803     0.0003     0.0000 -------#-
        END OF DIMENSION 49A2_LOC2
        basically you're only keeping the first 6 characters. "0.000" = 6 characters.
        Ex-Hex

Comment

You could just set the tolerance to the 5th decimal place right before the rounding point. ±.001049 will display as ±.0010 but will still be ±.001049.

Comment