Help to Build this Funky Probe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help to Build this Funky Probe?

Every couple of years I have to go down into the darkness that is building probes in PCDMIS...... Then it's studying and researching for awhile...before ultimately building a very simple probe.....this one is not simple,,,,,any help building this would be appreciated.....
    Sure seems like this should be an easier task....

Appreciate any help in advance.
    Brian P.

FATBOY_CMM Disc Probe.jpg
    Brown and Sharpe Mistral---B&S Micro Excel
    PH10M / TP20
    PHC10-2
    PCDMIS MR1 2009 --- PCDMIS 2012MR1 Cad++

I gots to ask.... What is it specifically for ??

Comment

Try this
      Custom Probe

You can define a custom probe by selecting Edit | Preferences | Custom Probe Builder Utility from the main menu. You can use the Custom Probe option to define custom probes that you can then insert into measurement routines.

When you select the Custom Probe option from the Preferences sub-menu, PC-DMIS displays a prompt asking if you want to open an existing Probe Builder data file (*.dat) or create a new one.

Create a New Custom Probe
      1. At the prompt, click New to display the New dialog box.
      2. Navigate to the folder where you want to store the Custom Probe Builder file.
      3. Type the name of the new custom probe data file (*.dat) and then click OK. The probe file is created and the Custom Probe Builder Utility dialog box appears.

Open an Existing Custom Probe
      1. At the prompt click Open to display the Open dialog box.
      2. Navigate to the folder where the Custom Probe Builder (*.dat) file is located.
      3. Select the file and click Open. The Custom Probe Builder Utility dialog box appears.

You can manually define a custom probe by editing the usrprobe.dat file. For details, see the Editing the usrprobe Data File topic.

Comment

Something like this could look like what you want...
        You just have to spcify if it's M2 or another value,, and specifiy the "hotspot", which define the "center ball", so define how you calibrate it.
        In you def, the chanfer isn't dimensioned...

ITEM:FUNKY_PROBE M2
        begintip
        ribcount 10
        cylinder 0 0 0 0 0 -9.8533 3.0018
        cone 0 0 -9.8533 3.0018 0 0 -20.0421 12.9881
        cylinder 0 0 -20.0421 0 0 -25.0271 12.9881
        hotspot 0 0 -25.0271 0 0 1 0.001 0.001 ball
        endtip

Comment

Originally posted by Schlag View Post
          I gots to ask.... What is it specifically for ??
          One use is for quickly measuring the max of a stack feature of a cup, which isn't always as straight as designed...I work in plastics, so much is not as straight as designed :-/...
          PH10M / TP20
          PHC10-2

Comment

Thanks guys, for the replies, going to try both ways above, hopefully learn something along the way,,,,,,I have learned that the probe "Wizard" is indeed, not a real Wizard.......
            PH10M / TP20
            PHC10-2

Comment

Well, that went as well as I expected it to,,,,, the custom probe build only let me define the fat area of the disc,,,then I couldn't find it in the drop down, in the calibration window at all,,,even though it did gen the .DAT file in the same location that all of my other probes are..? The mess below is what I see when opening in wordpad or notes,,,so I can't use my secret decoder ring to figure out any of this cryptography.....
              I find this whole process unnecessarily complicated.... is it just me on this??? Admittedly not the brightest bulb in the chandelier,,,but jeez...

file:///C:/Users/bparker/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.jpgNotepad cryptography.PNGWordpad Mess.PNG
              PH10M / TP20
              PHC10-2

Comment

If you would like help with this please reach out to me [email protected] or [email protected] either of us can help you. Michael Piontek Our team is responsible for custom probe builder. This is a very good use case for it. The files you have open are the binary prb files. The dat files are plain text. Based on your small picture the suggestion from jefman above will be very close to what you need.

Comment

Try the old, but proven, PROBFILE.DOC instead - ftp://ftp.wilcoxassoc.com/docs/How%2...s/PROBFILE.DOC
                  It explains how to use Notepad to create new items in USRPROBE.DAT
                  AndersI
                  SW support - Hexagon Metrology Nordic AB

Comment

Originally posted by JEFMAN View Post
                    Something like this could look like what you want...
                    You just have to spcify if it's M2 or another value,, and specifiy the "hotspot", which define the "center ball", so define how you calibrate it.
                    In you def, the chanfer isn't dimensioned...

ITEM:FUNKY_PROBE M2
                    begintip
                    ribcount 10
                    cylinder 0 0 0 0 0 -9.8533 3.0018
                    cone 0 0 -9.8533 3.0018 0 0 -20.0421 12.9881
                    cylinder 0 0 -20.0421 0 0 -25.0271 12.9881
                    hotspot 0 0 -25.0271 0 0 1 0.001 0.001 ball
                    endtip

Would this work just copy and paste into notepad, and saved as a .prb or .DAT (which?) ?
                    PH10M / TP20
                    PHC10-2

Comment

• louisd
                      louisd commented
                      Editing a comment
                      no, you append your USRPROBE.DAT, and add this to the list. From there it will become a dropdown item in your probe build list.

• JEFMAN
                      JEFMAN commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What louisd said !
                      Thx, Louisd !

Got Michael walking me through how to do the build on this later today,,, my simple mind is having trouble getting my head around this process....
                    Thanks to all for the assist!
                    PH10M / TP20
                    PHC10-2

Comment

Just wondering, have you created a 3D model of this in some CAD software, saved it as an IGES file and then imported that into the probe builder?

Comment

I had not, we briefly discussed that,,,does it grab the dimensions from the CAD model and "build itself" when you do that?
                        PH10M / TP20
                        PHC10-2

Comment

You have to define the connection/connections when using a cad model. This is done by mouse clicking. All dimensions come from the cad file. The method Mike showed is better suited for the item you had.
                          The cad import tab will add entries to the dat file that load the cad directly. A partial example is below.

ITEM:vise_screw M5
                          cadgeom 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 1.000 -1.000 0.000 0.000 -0.000 -1.000 -0.000 -1 vise_screw.draw

Comment

Very cool,, will try the CAD import, simply for the learning opportunity! Michael was a huge help,,, cleared alot of things up for me, great learning opportunity that was greatly appreciated. Thanks to all on the forum, I find this forum highly useful, with a minimal amount of snark for the underinformed. :-)
                            PH10M / TP20
                            PHC10-2

Comment