PCDMIS losing its mind...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCDMIS losing its mind...

I recently upgraded from 2013 to 2018 R2. For the most part the upgrade went as expected. However, every day when I power up my CMM and try to launch 2018 from the task bar by right clicking and selecting a program to run, it does not remember where the part programs are. I get this pop up screen that says the file does not exist. The file, of course, exists. I can see it in explorer on our server. I don't have this problem with 2013.

How do I cure PCDMIS's dimensia problem?

set the search path
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

• anthony.alfaro
      anthony.alfaro commented
      Editing a comment
      this.

or just open the program first before selecting a program. I've never once tried to select a program for PCD to run before startup.

Setting the search path only works for for that day. Tomorrow it won't remember it. It remembers all other search paths I have set. It just doesn't remember the search path for my part programs. I don't want to have to do this every day. I am being pressured to upgrade all of our CMMs corporate wide at several different plants. Those idio, I mean, operators don't know how to deal with any hiccups PCDMIS throws up. And I don't want them messing with any settings. So fart this is looking a lot like a reincarnation of version 4.xx. How long will it be before I get the BSOD?

Comment

When you first launched PCDMIS after install, did you run as administrator? Did you set the search paths as administrator and click apply after setting each individual search path?
      153010 Global Advantage w/ LSPX1H_T Analog Probe
      7107 Global Classic TP20
      2019R1 SP1 CAD++

Comment

Originally posted by N8VES View Post
        I can see it in explorer on our server.
        Take your routines OFF THE NETWORK. PC-DMIS has never -and apparently will never- like using non-local resources.
        I used to have this issue at another employer, to mitigate the error, we would have to open explorer and browse to the server location prior to opening PCDMIS.

Comment

I launched the install as administrator. When it placed the shortcut on the task bar it does not launch as admin by default. And when I called up programs created from 2013, I had to make changes to them and the changes wouldn't permanently save without running 2018 as admin. So I changed the properties of the shortcut in the task bar to always run as admin. Oh I click on apply alright and it works for that session. But when I exit and re-launch 2018, the setting is blank. All other search paths I have applied are exactly where I set them. It just does not keep the setting for the part program directory. I don't have a problem with this in 2013 with or without running as admin.

Comment

There might be some registry settings that will need to be modified. In addition, in the Start Menu, right click on the PCDMUPC 2018 folder, then edit all the permissions to allow everything.

Comment

Take your routines OFF THE NETWORK. PC-DMIS has never -and apparently will never- like using non-local resources.
              I used to have this issue at another employer, to mitigate the error, we would have to open explorer and browse to the server location prior to opening PCDMIS.
              I'm not taking the programs off the server. Everything there is backed up externally daily. The same does not happen on on users PCs. I don't have the time to re write 250 part [programs after a PC crash. 2013 and 2015 do not exhibit ANY problems working from network resources. 2018 shouldn't be any different.

Comment

• Caemgen
                Caemgen commented
                Editing a comment
                Running the programs locally doesn't mean not having a copy on the network.

I only run locally, but that isn't backed up. All my programs are stored ALSO on the network server which is backed up externally.

If there is a network problem (yes, all applications should run off network resources, but programming errors, windows integration and cables/hubs/wi-fi interferrence all exist, so I don't think any network has 100% up-time on all its hardware) I am still running.

Catastrophic loss on my CMM computer, restore from network, don't even need the external back-up.

Catastrophic server failure, I'm still running locally without a hiccup, and restore everything from the external back-up.

If you are keeping each and every run of every program so you have the data still in the software by run, ignore what I've written. Otherwise, personally, I recommend running local with your own back-up on a network resource that is externally backed-up. Better safe than sorry. I'm not rewriting all our programs either

• louisd
                louisd commented
                Editing a comment
                So if your search path isn't saving, that's definitely caused by admin rights issues on the PC. If you don't have a system in place that does config mgmt for your routines (we have mastercontrol here for doc management) then yeah storing and periodic backups are fundamentally necessary. Accessing the routines directly from the document-controlled master can lead to an inadvertent change to the validated inspection method. Also, EVERYTHING I've ever learned in >15 years of working with pcdmis has reiterated that the machines are intended to be used offline, and with full admin rights. I have documented evidence of pcdmis omitting file/writeline outputs as a result of writing directly to a networked CSV file. that's literally singular bytes of code that the demon fumbled...

I write 1 program (V3.7, XP, Validator). I copy it to the Global (2016, Win7). There is a user prompt asking what machine it is being run on, that prompt in turn sets move/touch/accl speeds for the machine it is being run on.

SO, backups..... each night I personally back up BOTH computers to a second drive in the XP computer. It also backs up both computers to a folder on the Win7 computer. Also, IT backs up both computers (Pcdmis & Datapage RT stuff only) to the server. Also, once or twice a week, I back up the XP computer to my own personal portable USB drive. The only 'network' work done here is the XP box saving Datapage data to the Win7 box. I tried it the other way around to begin with, but there were issues with the Win7 box getting the data into the Datapage database (RT V3.32), but I've not had any going the other way. Datapage RT is on the XP box, with the database on the Win7 box. That's it, no other network work. Never trust a network, it's like a fart when you have the runs.
              sigpic
              Originally posted by AndersI
              I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

here's an article from Hexagon Knowledgebase, that might be your issue: Mapped drives missing in WIN7/WIN10 Search Path pulldown - unable to access shared network folders.

Unable to access mapped drives from within PC-DMIS - Solution/Fix

21-Dec-2018Technical Support Topics Information

Attachment

Details
                This happens on the Window 7 PCs but not on the XP PCs. Also the "Not seeing network locations when "Run as Administrator" is checked" issue is reported in Windows 10.

Fix:
                A registry entry modification can be applied so that the drives are connected at startup. See the Microsoft KB link provided.
                http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937624

Registry editing steps.
                To configure the EnableLinkedConnections registry value, follow these steps:
                1. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.
                2. Locate and then right-click the following registry subkey:
                HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System
                1. [*=1]Point to New, and then click DWORD Value. [*=1]Type EnableLinkedConnections, and then press Enter. [*=1]Right-click EnableLinkedConnections, and then click Modify. [*=1]In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK. [*=1]Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.
                This should resolve the issue.

Comment

Here's another recent one

What is your policy regarding customer networks?

26-May-2018Technical Support Topics Details

At Hexagon Manufacturing Intelligence we strive to provide the best service possible, and help with as many issues as we can.
                  Unfortunately due to limitations beyond our control working with customer networks with regards to network security, router configuration, ability to physically check cabling, and other concerns we are unable to troubleshoot private network connectivity issues with end users.
                  Suggestions if you are having problems with network connectivity with a Hexagon system.
                  • Please involve an IT administrator early in the process. They can help configure routers and connections to work with Hexagon Manufacturing Intelligence supplied PC's. They are also experienced troubleshooters with your specific network. Some networks are programmed to reject PC's not specifically identified by your IT department to be allowed on your network. You can if you wish review our network connectivity troubleshooting guide, which should help you collect basic information to inform your IT administrator: My computer will not connect to my network. What do I do?
                  • Please encourage your IT administrators to contact us directly for any questions about network cards that are supplied by Hexagon Manufacturing Intelligence.
                  • Some Hexagon Manufacturing Intelligence equipment uses network cards to connect directly to our equipment. These cards are easy to spot, as they will have a network cable already connected, and typically have a static IP configuration. Our best advice is to simply leave these connections alone, or work with technical support if you have connection issues with our equipment.
                  • Do not attempt to run Hexagon Manufacturing Intelligence equipment through a network, router or hub unless advised by Hexagon Manufacturing Intelligence Engineering, or technical support. These configurations are only supported in very specific instances, and are not typical.
                  Please feel free to contact us with any questions about our products, we will do our best to help as much as we can.

Comment

Louisd, Caemgen, Matt,

All good points. But it hardly explains why 2013 and 2015 have NO problems and 2018 does. The alignment and probe files are also on the server and 2018 points to them correctly. I have full local admin rights on every PC in the plant. And I have full admin rights to the respective folders on the server where the PCDMIS files are located. I'm not the corporate IT admin but I pretty much next to it. I tried the registry edit, louisd. That didn't work and is supposedly only for Windows 10. I'm running Windows 7.

I would NEVER attempt to connect the CMM controller into the network. The packet collisions and latency errors would be disastrous. My Global FX uses a DEA controller and connects to the PC via RS232. We are about to set up a Global I that does use static TCPIP. That PC has two NICs. One for the controller and one for the network.

I write 1 program (V3.7, XP, Validator). I copy it to the Global (2016, Win7). There is a user prompt asking what machine it is being run on, that prompt in turn sets move/touch/accl speeds for the machine it is being run on.
                    I'd like to see that program Matt. I could use something like that here when I get the Global I setup. The FX and I series have different speed specs.

Comment

• InspectorJester
                      InspectorJester commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The reason it would work on 2013 and 2015, but not 2018, is because the first two were set up correctly, and the latter was not.
                      As far as what is incorrect, I probably can't help you, other than the assumed permissions issue. Maybe you have admin rights, but not write permissions to every file or every folder you need. Maybe you changed some of the registry settings in one location, but it's looking for another. Maybe you didn't choose Run As Admin the first time everything was installed, or you chose Run As Admin for 2015 and forgot to do it for 2018 again...
                      ----------
                      If you'd like an easy way to keep all of your files on your local machine, but still keep a backup on a server, Robocopy in a Batch program is a fairly simple way to achieve this

I've had my measurement routines and probe files on a network for ten to fifteen years and numerous version changes without an issue. I could see having pc dmis executables on the network causing problems. When I backup my routines it's from the network to the local drive just in case the network goes down for a few days.

Comment

The reason it would work on 2013 and 2015, but not 2018, is because the first two were set up correctly, and the latter was not.
                      Actually, it was the other way around. 2018 and 2015 were set up as admin and launched the first time as admin. 2013 was not. As a result, every time I create a new program in 2013 I get a registry error when I load up and select a probe configuration. I use 2015 at a different plant so I don't really have any issues with it. I suspect that my 2013 programs aren't being converted correctly because of that issue.

I researched similar posts on this and Rondog on another post pretty much summed it up for me. When you are ready to install a new version, back up your user files from the older version to a new location. Then launch the old version and reset the search paths to the backup locations so you can still run that version should the new install take a puke on you (remember version 4.0? I won't make that mistake again. Lost a lot of programs over that stupid version). Then you launch the new install setup program AS ADMINISTRATOR (I did). When it's complete you launch PCDMIS for the first time AS ADMINISTRATOR (I did). Thereafter you don't need to run PCDMIS as admin unless you need to correct some anomaly like I'm having when I call up 2013 programs and re-serialize them for use in 2018. I guess that's the price I pay for not setting up 2013 correctly. Of the 300 or so programs I have in 2013, I only need about a dozen of them. The rest are service jobs and I can deal with running PCDMIS as admin to convert and correct the problems with 2013 programs. Once I correct the problems, they seem to run just fine in 2018 without launching as admin. And 2018 seems to remember the search paths without running as admin. But it sure doesn't remember then when launched as admin.

Thanks to kingsld1, Matt, louisd, bfire85, RIDER, InspectorJester, and Caemgen for all of the comments and suggestions. Y'all inspired me to dig deeper on this to find out what's happening.

Comment

Originally posted by kingsld1 View Post
                        I've had my measurement routines and probe files on a network for ten to fifteen years and numerous version changes without an issue. I could see having pc dmis executables on the network causing problems. When I backup my routines it's from the network to the local drive just in case the network goes down for a few days.
                        Us too. Our probes are local (with copies on the network), but our programs are all on the network. No issues at all, unless we have network issues, which is extremely rare.

Comment