Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crashreports - Huge file size

Hello everybody

I just found out that we have 43GB of unsent crash reports. See attached picture.
    Does somebody know how to disable the creation of these crash reports?

Thanks in advance

crashreports.jpg
    Last edited by Aaron Baldauf; 04-05-2019, 03:41 AM.

I can't find anything obvious in Settings Editor - have you tried write protecting that folder?
    AndersI
    SW support - Hexagon Metrology Nordic AB

Comment

Go to the properties of your PcDmis shortcut and add /nocrashdump at the end of the Target:
      This is listed under the Software Configuration in the help file.

So my Target for my Offline software looks like...

"C:\Program Files\Hexagon\PC-DMIS 2019 R1 64-bit\Launcher\HexagonLauncher.exe" LauncherPC-DMIS.config /f /nocrashdump

The /f is for Offline mode.

Comment

Just curious, why would you not submit your crash dumps?

Comment

• FMC.QC
          FMC.QC commented
          Editing a comment
          It grabs screenshots of everything on the monitors which was an issue for us when having confidential prints or files in the background while pcdmis was crashing.

Originally posted by FMC.QC View Post
        Go to the properties of your PcDmis shortcut and add /nocrashdump at the end of the Target:

"C:\Program Files\Hexagon\PC-DMIS 2019 R1 64-bit\Launcher\HexagonLauncher.exe" LauncherPC-DMIS.config /f /nocrashdump

It grabs screenshots of everything on the monitors which was an issue for us when having confidential prints or files in the background while pcdmis was crashing.
        Thank you for this information. I checked on my computer and in the unsent crash report folder there are screenshots of proprietary OP sheets and Outlook with my emails on the second monitor. I have already applied the switch /nocrashdump to my shortcuts. Thank you again.
        PC-DMIS 2016.0 SP8

Jeff

Comment

• Mike Ruff
          Mike Ruff commented
          Editing a comment
          Same here. I just disabled crash dump on all of our seats. Proprietary info in the background of screenshots is no good. Thanks for the tip FMC.QC! I didn't even know this was going on

Thanks all for the information. I think i will do as FMC.QC advised. Does somebody know if i can also add this via the WAIStarter?
        Where do I add the command there? Just at Installation or is is in User settings or Shell command file?

WAIStarter.png

Comment

Is there a way to see the sent crash reports? We always send ours.
          Remembering my beautiful wife Taz who's life was taken from me on 6-13-2020.

Comment

• Don Ruggieri
            Don Ruggieri commented
            Editing a comment
            I am not sure what you mean by "see the sent crash reports", but you can preview them before you send them, at least the screen grabs, to make sure there is nothing proprietary. When you get a crash report dialog, before pressing the SEND button, go to the folder where they are stored -

C:\Users\<login name>\AppData\Local\CrashRpt\UnsentCrashReports\PC-DMIS_2019 R1 (release) Build-288

and then look for a file folder with a somewhat cryptic name like -

6de51c88-f1ef-430a-b47c-e0015f864ede

double click on that to show the contents, and in there you will see a file called something like screenshot0.png. You can double click that to open it and preview the image. Now, close it, and if you want to submit the crash, proceed to hit the SEND button. If you decide not to submit it, you can just cancel the send and remove that file folder.

That sucks. No more crash reports from us unfortunately.
          Remembering my beautiful wife Taz who's life was taken from me on 6-13-2020.

Comment

It would be nice if there was a way to let users configure what could be sent.

Comment

I should point out that 99.9% of the time, the system receiving the reports throws away the screenshots without anyone looking at them. It's an automated system to process the reports, and it only keeps the screenshot (on our secured server) of the first instance of a type of crash, which more often than not would be from an internal Hexagon tester.
              Even for those .1% we do store, very often the programmer assigned to look at the crash would not bother to look at the screenshot.
              That said, I understand from the comments above that a .1% is still too much for some companies, so I've created a user story to allow screenshots to not be included in crash reports, and we will try to get it into 2019 R2.

Comment

As a follow up, we have made a change in 2019 R2 so a crash report will no longer include the screenshots.

Comment

Originally posted by nkayWAI View Post
                  As a follow up, we have made a change in 2019 R2 so a crash report will no longer include the screenshots.
                  Excellent, thank you!

Comment