Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reporting Sphericity

im not finding a way to report Sphericity in pc-dmis
    i need to evaluate the form of a sphere. am i just missing it ?

"The Insert | Dimension | Circularity menu option determines the roundness of a circle, sphericity of a sphere or the conicity of a cone."

Per the PCDMIS help file.

Comment

• InspectorJester
      InspectorJester commented
      Editing a comment
      I had imagined it would be a Circularity dimension, but I was not able to research or provide any facts...
      +1

the best thing i have come up with is to measure a sphere, datum it x,y,z then report the center point distance to each point measured around the sphere.
    thoughts ?

Comment

Originally posted by gibsonridge View Post
      the best thing i have come up with is to measure a sphere, datum it x,y,z then report the center point distance to each point measured around the sphere.
      thoughts ?
      Or you could use circularity which will check the sphericity of the sphere as Sora5 mentioned. I've tried it and it works.
      PC-DMIS 2016.0 SP8

Jeff

Comment

• InspectorJester
        Editing a comment
        Have you tried it?

• gibsonridge
        gibsonridge commented
        Editing a comment
        yes , and im still tinkering trying to get the best definition , to give the operator the best definition of true form.

• gibsonridge
        gibsonridge commented
        Editing a comment
        when viewing the graphical it appears to be evaluating the circularity of a diameter (2D) in the current working plane only.
        i need to see the error in a 3D , basically im trying to check a qual sphere.

You can dimension the Form only of the sphere and even show it graphically if so desired
      Michael A Wildschutz Sr
      I Walk on The WildSide
      "To Each is Own"

Comment

• Mike Ruff
        Mike Ruff commented
        Editing a comment
        What type of probe are you using? If it's a TP20, I highly doubt you'll be able to get down to .0004" Form because the springs cause error, so I switch out the TP20 for the scanning head here when I need very high accuracy

• gibsonridge
        gibsonridge commented
        Editing a comment
        tesa Star leitz scanning head,
        i found that a two mm probe is giving me the best results. ( proofing it all out on my qual sphere.)
        reporting profile of a surface - form and location checking at .000027" on cmm qual sphere

• InspectorJester
        Editing a comment
        Well done!