X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Improve Report Generation Times

Hello!
    Running PC-DMIS 2018R2
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How can I improve how long it takes to create the report, after all of the features are already programmed in?
    I have a specific order that each report needs to be formatted in (which is different for every part) as well as Report Comments above each dimension.
    The dimensions are always generated at the end of the program, not next to a feature

The only way to speed up the report generation is to have the dimensions with the features, putting them at the end only makes it take longer
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

If you create PDFs, the settings MaxPrintResolution and MaxTextPrintResolution in Settings Editor may need adjustment - 150-600, depending on the quality you need in the PDF. The PC-DMIS default is large enough to make the PDF driver work in the highest resolution it can produce, which mostly (always?) is too much (needs much more RAM, and more time). If the RAM needs of the PDF driver goes high enough, Windows have to start swapping out other things, which will make it go even slower.
      AndersI
      SW support - Hexagon Metrology Nordic AB

Comment

• BKulpa
        BKulpa commented
        Editing a comment
        Also with PDFs, if the folder your saving to has a lot of files in it PC-DIMS may take several minutes to open the folder and save.
        Try starting a new folder destination and see if this speeds things along.

Allow me to rephrase this question...

The process for creating a report (via Insert>Dimension, and utilizing the print command) takes a long time. Not to load or anything, but to code.
      Organizing the report to make it pretty, in the right order, is what takes so long (If they didn't care about ordered reports, or the operators weren't utilizing them and requesting a standard format, the dimensions would be next to the feature).

How can I improve how long it takes to format/dimension a Measurement Strategy?

Comment

Maybe the new Excel Form Report?
        AndersI

Comment

• InspectorJester
          InspectorJester commented
          Editing a comment
          Wouldn't I have to convert the couple hundred programs I've already got to output to Excel?
          We use PDF's

• AndersI
          AndersI commented
          Editing a comment
          I thought it was about *new* programs, after your rephrase, ie. I assumed you had already spent the time on the existing ones.

• InspectorJester
          Editing a comment
          Essentially, if I find a way to improve the times it will make ordering the reports *that* much faster. I will be able to just scrap & redraft the existing reports, and use the techniques on new programs.

Currently it takes about as long as creating the program itself; perhaps there is a better way

Re-reading your question(s), and thinking about it, it seems a Custom Report is the easiest way if you need a different order of the dimensions in the program and the report. Just drag the dimensions to the custom report in the order you want them, and that's it.
        AndersI

Comment

• InspectorJester
          Editing a comment
          Custom Report, eh?
          I will look into it; I've seen that idea within PC-DMIS but never bothered with it (only ever changed the header)