What should my report have

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should my report have

I have been given a print and part that have profiles and some basic dimensions tied to those profiles. I have measured the profile and reported it, and also showed the basic dimension that was shown on the print. I was asked up upper management if it was in any standard that I show the basic dimension on the report if the profile was good. Their thinking as best I can gather is: if the profile is bad, the basic dimension is also bad, and the report will show 2 features being out of tolerance instead of 1 (which puts the customer on edge). I have not been able to find any standard that requires anything be shown on a report at all, and I have been lead to believe that reporting is something to be discussed with a customer to best fit their needs (machine shop side, or end customer). I have found the ASME Y14.100-2017 standard that says dimensions not shown on a print are to be set as basic to the model (which I assume has a tolerance set to what ever the tolerance block states on the print, or a profile if listed in a note), but that doesn't say I have to report anything.

TLDR: Is there a standard (ASME, ISO or other) that specifically states what shall be on a report, and if so, does it apply to basic dimensions tied to profiles.

edit: To add to this: can a basic dimension, like the one listed above, be treated as a reference dimension if the profile would cover all requirements of it in form and position?
    Last edited by jaronw; 04-02-2019, 02:14 AM.

If both the basic dimensions and profile are on the customer print, I'd put both in the report. Also depending on how you report the profile, it might show it as a good profile due to the form of it, but it doesn't mean that the location of the profile will be in tolerance, hence why they might have the basic dimensions thrown in there. Reporting Form vs Location & Form give two different results.

As to the actual question. I don't believe that there is a standard of what to report, but instead a standard to confirm everything on the customer print on a controlled document.

Comment

• jaronw
      jaronw commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by ChairsWithWheels View Post
      . . . depending on how you report the profile, it might show it as a good profile due to the form of it, but it doesn't mean that the location of the profile will be in tolerance, hence why they might have the basic dimensions thrown in there. Reporting Form vs Location & Form give two different results.
      I've thought about that also, my current recommendation to management will be that it should be reported, since the way the print calls out these specific dimensions the profile could be out of tolerance but those specific features may be in tolerance.

Originally posted by ChairsWithWheels View Post
      . . . a standard to confirm everything on the customer print on a controlled document.
      Do you by chance have that standard number or identification on hand? Chapter and verse would be amazing, but even a general direction to look would do me wonders right now.

• ChairsWithWheels
      ChairsWithWheels commented
      Editing a comment
      I scanned through the AS9100D standard, the only thing I could really find without spending too much time is section 8.2, which goes on about communication with the customer about what they need for the part to be form, fit, and functional. So if your customer requires 100% inspection of the dimensions per the print in one of their quality codes that's what has to happen. So it mostly depends on the customer's requirements and needs, and what documentation they want.

No. You should not report basic dimensions unless your customer requires it. When you dimension the associated GD&T callouts, you are using the basics to evaluate the condition. A properly drawn print accounts for the basic dimensions by using profiles, true positions, etc.
    153010 Global Advantage w/ LSPX1H_T Analog Probe
    7107 Global Classic TP20
    2019R1 SP1 CAD++

Comment

If you report a basic what tolerance would you give it ? Exactly.......

Comment

I only report basics (with blown out tolerances) and put them at the end of my report with a comment saying these are for reference to help problem solve true positions and profiles for our press technicians. We usually don't report these to the customer, unless they ask.

Comment

• louisd
          louisd commented
          Editing a comment
          I report them as report comments, no tolerance.

The only benefit to reporting BASIC dimensions, is you will be providing the information necessary to pinpoint the nonconforming location (if the profile encompasses multiple surfaces), and it will support any further evaluation efforts put forward by anyone else (third parties) to affirm the specific nonconformance. In short, reporting basics provides more detail as to what's bad.

From an office-politics perspective, I'd just say "Yes sir." and do what I'm told. Let your manager take the heat if customer gets pissed off either way.

Comment