Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toolbar .ICOs

Hey there,

First time caller, long time listener here.

I'm curious if anyone knows where the pc-dmis 2016 toolbar icon .ico files are buried.

Thanks for the help.

-N.Hebert

https://www.pcdmisforum.com/forum/pc...nsion-for-them

Is this what you were looking for?

Comment

Nah, I'm trying to locate the .ico files for all the icons on the toolbar. the files that hold the images you see in the toolbar.

I want to update from 2016 to 2018, and create custom icons to replace all the ones in 2018. Basically create my own legacy toolbar.

I'm beginning to suspect the .ICOs are inside an .EXE and I don't know of any software I can download to my work computer to pull them out.

I appreciate the effort though.

Comment

Install Portable Apps on a flash drive. It will allow you to run apps right from the drive without installing them on the computer. There is an icon editor/extractor available for that platform called IcoFX.

I just used it to look inside the PCDLRN.exe file and only found the PC-DMIS icon, but there are plenty more .exe and .dll files you can search throughout the folder and subfolders.
        Last edited by Schrocknroll; 03-23-2019, 08:47 AM.
        PC-DMIS 2016.0 SP8

Jeff

Comment

Like Schrocknroll , I tried to dig up the tool bar icons so I could tweak them, but while I was able to find quite a few, they weren't any of them of the 'toolbar' type.
          I used 'IconsExtract' which went through all the folders I could.think of..... all in the installation, all in ProgramData, User (public & me) etc.
          As much as I wanted to find those suckahs 'cause I disdain those 'new' icons (since 2017R2), Hexagon must have them very well hidden.... .

Comment

Resource.dll contains the images. However, I think the items are within bitmap banks which MS knows how to extract them to be used as individual icons.

Comment

Originally posted by N.Hebert View Post
              Nah, I'm trying to locate the .ico files for all the icons on the toolbar. the files that hold the images you see in the toolbar.

I want to update from 2016 to 2018, and create custom icons to replace all the ones in 2018. Basically create my own legacy toolbar.

I'm beginning to suspect the .ICOs are inside an .EXE and I don't know of any software I can download to my work computer to pull them out.

I appreciate the effort though.
              Wow.
              Please, someone from Hexagon/Wilcox read this thread and let this reality sink in:

The 2017 graphical redesign that changed most icon shapes and wiped out the invaluable icon colors was so poorly done that users are actually customizing the interface of newer installations to bring back the old icons.

Comment

Many users (all ?) find those "new" icons bad...
                But, some months later, I use them without any problem.
                Metrological enhancements are more important for me than the "look" of the soft.

Comment

Originally posted by JEFMAN View Post
                  Many users (all ?) find those "new" icons bad...
                  Definitely not all - I talked to some operators relatively new to PC-DMIS, and one of them said "finally, with the new Icons, I understand what they do"...

The problem lies mainly in the human reluctance to change, and the fact that it *does* take time to re-learn. Also, if you use the new QuickMeasure toolbar with the dropdown buttons it is impossible to use 'muscle memory' to click on 'the third button in the second row', which in my opinion is a bigger hurdle than what picture there is on the button. Look att typists and piano players - they won't care at all about the visuals of the keys, they rely completely on 'muscle memory', which can be much faster than visual processing and decision making.

AndersI
                  SW support - Hexagon Metrology Nordic AB

Comment

If Hexagon made pianos, they would rearrange the keys and change their colors.

B&S CHAMELEON/PCDMIS CAD++ V2011

There are no bugs, only "UNDOCUMENTED ENHANCEMENTS!"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dph51 View Post
                      If Hexagon made pianos, they would rearrange the keys and change their colors.
                      And have the piano play the note it thinks you meant instead of the key you pressed.
                      PC-DMIS 2016.0 SP8

Jeff

Comment