tooling ball question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tooling ball question

have 3 tooling balls on a fixture measured and aligned....one is at 0-0-0 but i need to change all 3 to their nominal values...kind new but would appreciate any help.....TIA

Does this have to do with your other post?
    https://www.pcdmisforum.com/forum/pc...-tooling-balls

Comment

The iterative alignment takes care of that.
      The key is to enter the correct nominal values for each of the 3 spheres.
      If one of the sphere is 0-0-0 means the alignment was not done correctly.
      Last edited by Roberto; 03-14-2019, 12:29 PM.
      sigpicIt's corona time!
      737 Xcel Cad++ v2009MR1....SE HABLA ESPAÑOL

Comment

the iterative align from previous post works fine.....my goal is ....operator will probe one point on top of tooling ball then dcc all of them from the ref i set from that point which is 0-0-0.......don't want to manually measure all 3 tooling balls every time. tx for any help

Comment

prob is cmm operator quit and i have not programmed for...12 yrs or so...am trying to get this old brain working again

Comment

Originally posted by cliff wyatt View Post
            the iterative align from previous post works fine.....my goal is ....operator will probe one point on top of tooling ball then dcc all of them from the ref i set from that point which is 0-0-0.......don't want to manually measure all 3 tooling balls every time. tx for any help
            Unless you KNOW that the fixture will be set up NICE & SQUARE to the machine, EVERY TIME, don't even try that, they will crash it. If it is out of square by your prehit value (or more) it won't work.
            sigpic
            Originally posted by AndersI
            I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

it's square...we use rayco plate

Comment

Then, if you KNOW the actual XYZ (not an arbitrary X0Y0Z0), then simply align to it. If the tooling ball is X123, Y-234, Z789, then measure the t-ball, align XYZ origins to it, offset X-123, Y234, Z-789 and it should be good to go.
                sigpic
                Originally posted by AndersI
                I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

ty...will try offset

Comment

In that case, I would have the operator take 1 point on the sphere.
                    Create an alignment, where you origin XYZ on this point, and offset Z by the negative-radius of the tooling ball (so if it's 14.776mm, you would offset Z by -7.388)
                    Enter DCC mode, and create an Auto Sphere at 0,0,0, with 4 or 5 hits near the top of the sphere. These few hits will DCC locate the first sphere.
                    Align XYZ to this sphere, then, DCC that same sphere again, with however many hits you want to take on all of the spheres.
                    Set this new sphere as your XYZ origin.
                    Create a new Auto Sphere, and set its nominal locations to whatever the nominals are. Measure it. Potentially rotate, using this other sphere.
                    Measure the other one.

Create your alignment from these 3 spheres

Comment

ty jester....good idea. i didn't c your post until i tried this....measure 1 pnt on top of sphere 1 set xyz to 0....turn dcc on and measure spheres 1-2 and 3. create align with sphere 1 being "0" then create another align and use sphere 1 as origin using offset distance OPPOSITE the posted nominals for x y and z.......actually works. i am old and the memory recalls come like a slow drip nowadays....lol

Comment

There you go! If it's square and it's placed on rayco plate same location. Just save the fixture alignment and recall it in the program.
                        Operators don't need to take any manual hit nor a read point.
                        sigpicIt's corona time!
                        737 Xcel Cad++ v2009MR1....SE HABLA ESPAÑOL

Comment

• InspectorJester
                          InspectorJester commented
                          Editing a comment
                          +1 if the fixture is in the exact same place every time (e.g. always screwed into the same hole)

they have to do 1 point because this way you can put it anywhere on plate as long as it's square...ty!
                        Attached Files

Comment