Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max Inscribed diameter

Hello,

I`m measuring a setting ring diameter (nominal diam 69.994 mm) to check the touch-trigger probel lobbing error. I created an auto-circle (36 pts) and used max inscribed mode. When i dimension the results (with location) i get that measured value is 69.993 and the MI (minimumum diameter is 69,988).. Until now I thought that MAX INS ise the minimum circle diameter because it gives you the biggest circle that can be fitted inside the "point cloud".. Apparently this is not the case.. Can some one calrify..

BR,
    PekkeriMan

I'm not sure I follow.

Is the 69.993 diameter the result of the Max Insc circle? If so what's the 69.988? (If this is from switching Min/Max on in the dimension output that value isn't really a diameter but 2x the radial value of the minimum /smallest hit)

What type probe are you using? What length?

Automettech - Automated Metrology Technology

Comment

• NinjaBadger
      NinjaBadger commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree - it would be better that Least Sq / Max Insc etc were reporting functions not part of the feature.

What do you get measuring least sq? I'd expect max insc using a 40mm probe to be more like 0.004-0.005 below nominal, not just 0.001.

• AndersI
      AndersI commented
      Editing a comment
      In the current PC-DMIS version (and since 2017, IIRC) there is a new SIZE dimension which does a re-calculation in the dimension itself, according to the modifiers you specify (LP, MX, MN etc.), so your wish has been fulfilled...

• PekkeriMan4000
      PekkeriMan4000 commented
      Editing a comment
      Tough luck.. We will hopefully upgrade our PC-DMIS soon, but as the controller of our old P&S is 32 bit, we can only go with 2017 R1

Least Sq was 69.997 if I remember correctly...

But i have to go back to the MIN value. First I thought i got it, but then i realized that i got it wrong afterall. You said that MIN is " 2x the radial value of the minimum /smallest hit". If so then this radius has to have a centerpoint. Where is it/ how is this calculated?

At first i thought that the centerpoint is the center of MAX INS circle. But it can`t be beacuse all three innermost points defining the MAX INS circle are equidistant from the MAX INS circle center and thus MIN would give the same result as MAX INS. So what`s the deal..?

BR,
    PekkeriMann

Comment

• AndersI
      AndersI commented
      Editing a comment
      "the old 3.7" may be part of the deal...

• PekkeriMan4000
      PekkeriMan4000 commented
      Editing a comment
      So are you saying that those MAX/MIN results are some random numbers in 3.7?