Probe Tip Diameter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probe Tip Diameter

I'm using 3.7mr3, PH10T, TP20, std force module. I have a 1mm probe with a 41mm length. (carbide shaft) When I built the probe file I used a 20mm ext. plus 1x20 probe. When I calibrate I noticed the probe dia. is about .0024 inch (I work in inches) undersize. My std dev. is fine. I attribute the difference to some flex in the probe due to the length. Does the fact that I can't build the probe length at exactly 41 mm have any bearing on this? Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

Thank You,
    John

Originally posted by JohnCTB View Post
    I'm using 3.7mr3, PH10T, TP20, std force module. I have a 1mm probe with a 41mm length. (carbide shaft) When I built the probe file I used a 20mm ext. plus 1x20 probe. When I calibrate I noticed the probe dia. is about .0024 inch (I work in inches) undersize. My std dev. is fine. I attribute the difference to some flex in the probe due to the length. Does the fact that I can't build the probe length at exactly 41 mm have any bearing on this? Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

Thank You,
    John
    Once you have calibrated the tips, the actual length is also calibrated. So, as long as you didn't shank-out on your hits, the results should be good. If you are un-sure of the results, try this:
    Since your build-up is actually longer than the definition, change the touch start/stop anlges so that you KNOW you are hitting ball-to-ball, then calibrate all the angles. Once that is done, you can go back to teh default method since your calibrated length will now be correct.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

If interested the folks at hexagon sent me a user probe file to add probes not listed .
      sigpic

Comment

Is it the same as going into your Probe.dat file and copying one that is close and pasting it back into the file and modify it to fit your needs?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by djayne View Post
          Is it the same as going into your Probe.dat file and copying one that is close and pasting it back into the file and modify it to fit your needs?
          Yes, you can do it that way as well, HOWEVER, the PROBE.DAT file will get over-written when you install a new version of Pcdims and you will lose those 'custom' probes. The USRPROBE file does NOT get over-written (or so they say). Myself, I have made a copy of the PROBE .DAT file, saved it in a NON-PCDMIS directory, and I have also deleted OUT of it all the stuff that I do NOT have so I don't see a bunch of stuff I will never use.
          sigpic
          Originally posted by AndersI
          I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Well put Mathew!! If you would like I can send file w/ instructions. I found the instructions made it a little harder than it had to be imagine that!!!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AJHVW93 View Post
              Well put Mathew!! If you would like I can send file w/ instructions. I found the instructions made it a little harder than it had to be imagine that!!!
              How about uploading a zipped file for all of us to download. This sound like it would be helpful to many users on here.

bob
              Which one gets ridden today? MPH vs MPG..tough choice, both are FUN
              sigpic

Starrett RGDC 4028-24 :alien:
              Demon vintages 3.7, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 2009

Comment

The actual ball diameter of your ruby, just like the actual length of your extension are taken care of if the qual is successful. It doesn't actually need to be perfect.

Your standard deviation would show deflection and shanking since the two spheres (ruby and qual tool) would not appear spherical enough to the software.

Comment

Hope this helps it looks like a basic copy of of user prb.
                  Last edited by AJHVW93; 11-10-2008, 01:22 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks to all for the replies. I was sure everything was OK, but it is good to be able to get someone elses opinion just to be sure.

John

Comment