Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing Error

Good morning,
    I was working on a project where I needed to back save to another version of the demon. However, when I went to save it, I lost the CAD model. All I have now is a bunch of points and constructions. What did I do wrong? I am sure it is something simple.
    Darroll
    2018R2

probably nothing that you did. SOME cad features don't back-save for crap. Simply delete the cad file of the back-save and re-import the IGES/STEP file you used in the original program.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

• Darrollh
      Darrollh commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome! Thank you!

Be careful with backsaving. I am having a lot of issues programming offline in 2018 and backsaving to 2012 and 2016. My main headache right now is when backsaving to 2012, all my diameter position dimensions loses their diameter symbol and the measured value goes to crap.

Comment

you should see some of the messes I get when I back-save.

I program in V3.7 on the old machine. Once the program is "SET", it gets copied to the Global (2016). Once in a GREAT while I will get a cad file of the fixture for the part. I want the clamps and swing gates in the program to help get it written. V3.7 has issues with massive cad files, can take HOURS to delete the crap I don't want (to speed up using the cad data, doesn't help that the design includes things like the threads of every bolt used to build the fixture!). SO, I will import the cad data in 2016, delete the junk there, then save-back to V3.7 (2016 deletes cad data about 5,000 times faster than 3.7). SOMETIMES, it will warn me that "this piece of cad is not supported in previous versions" or something like that. It's not the IGES file I used that has un-compatable cad, but the Pcdmis 'translation' of the IGES that isn't compatible. And the amazing cluster-mess that you see when you open it in 3.7 would blow your mind!
      sigpic
      I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Sora5 View Post
        Be careful with backsaving. I am having a lot of issues programming offline in 2018 and backsaving to 2012 and 2016. My main headache right now is when backsaving to 2012, all my diameter position dimensions loses their diameter symbol and the measured value goes to crap.
        I go from 3.7 to 2016 and rarely back from 2016 to 3.7.

I do NOT use Xactmeasure. I measure automotive sheet metal, legacy dimensions, and Datapage/RT.

The only issue I've seen (other than some cad issues with back-save) are for slots (round & square). Round slots measure 'backwards' in 2016 than 3.7, and 2016 will muck up the corner radius on square slots.

No big deal you may think, but when you program a round slot to start from "bottom-left" and to go clockwise and finish at "bottom right" because there is a data collector/swing gate on the fixture right there, and that direction misses it, when you run it in 2016 and it starts "top right" and goes clockwise and finishes "top left", it has tried to move THROUGH the blockage. Yep, got some nice scratches on the 50mm cartridge extension on the Global from that one!
        sigpic

Comment

That's some horror stories right there. You're reinforcing my reason for every time a supplier ask for me email them a CMM program in an older version, I always put in caps for them to review the program due to backsaving might break things.

It's always a facepalm moment when I get a follow up email on why the program doesn't run when they want a program that uses construct width features backsaved to 2010 ;;

Comment