Pointer Styli

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pointer Styli

Does anyone have any experience using a 'pointer" styli?
    i am in a spot where it appears that it is the only probe I have that will fit onto the surface. Calibrate as usual? Use only the point?
    Thanks for the comments
    ["Paper is poverty,... it is only the ghost of money, and not money itself." --Thomas Jefferson ][/SIGPIC]

Originally posted by Bob Pierce View Post
    Does anyone have any experience using a 'pointer" styli?
    i am in a spot where it appears that it is the only probe I have that will fit onto the surface. Calibrate as usual? Use only the point?
    Thanks for the comments
    Well, now, that's interesting.

Some people say, DON'T calibrate a pointer (or scribe) tip, just do the entire alignment with the same angle and all the measurements as well. That sounds like a REAL pain in the **** to me.

I do not use the mega-bucks B&S calibration artifact, I use an $8 ball-bearing. Specs well under the machine specs and cheap to replace. I calibrate my scribe tip on the rare instances when I use it. HOWEVER, increase the number of hits (minimum of 9) and reduce the calibration start/stop angle so that it only goes about 35 to 45 degrees down the side of the sphere.

I DO feel sorry for you if that tip is the only option you have for checking your part. The only thing I use that tip of is 'digitizing' scribe lines, either on a flat blank OR checking the sight-check scribe line on a fixture.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Matt is part right you use this without calibration you must do your set your level with it , in the same angle that you will use it. Any time you change it's angle you will need to again level to it. It is best to print out any results you need before changing tiops at all as they will not relate to the rest of the part. But it is not a scriber. It is nothing more than a pointed tip that records touches.

Comment

Bob,

You may want to look into getting a 0.5mm styli or even a 0.3mm styli. These may work for you in those tight places and you can calibrate them. I have some and tho I don't use them much when I need them it's them or nothing.

Comment

Oh, one other thing, if you decide to calibrate it, you WILL have to slow your touch speed WAY down (like to 0.25) and you might want to eliminate the touch that is directly on the tip of the probe by changing the start/stop calibration angle as well as what I said earlier.

This procedure does work (no matter what tested says) and the scribe point I have has been around for 10 years, probably.

BUT, if you are worried about calibrating a carbide tip on your calibration sphere, make your OWN tip. Take a 30mm extension and with infinite care, chuck it into a whirly-gig and go grind the end to a pointy tip. This will give you something that will NOT mark or damage your calibration sphere. Again, you WILL need to slow your touch speed down for calibration (and checks, of course).
          sigpic
          I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

"This procedure does work (no matter what tested says) and the scribe point I have has been around for 10 years, probably."

What did tested say? Unless I misunderstand he's using a pointed touch styli. Not a scriber. These are used just like a ruby styli but are pointed.
            Me thinks Matt is have a rough morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Tested View Post
              Matt is part right you use this without calibration you must do your set your level with it , in the same angle that you will use it. Any time you change it's angle you will need to again level to it. It is best to print out any results you need before changing tiops at all as they will not relate to the rest of the part. But it is not a scriber. It is nothing more than a pointed tip that records touches.

"This procedure does work (no matter what tested says) and the scribe point I have has been around for 10 years, probably."

What did tested say? Unless I misunderstand he's using a pointed touch styli. Not a scriber. These are used just like a ruby styli but are pointed.
              Me thinks Matt is have a rough morning.

Unless I am mistaken, these posts IMPLY (or actually state) that you can NOT calibrate a pointed (or scibe) tip. "Matt is part right, you use this WITHOUT calibration" Well, you CAN calibrate it and then use it at what ever angles you have calibrated, just like a ball tip. And, I have an OLD Renishaw tip poster that calls the carbide tip a 'scribe tip'.
              sigpic

Comment

I've used the pointed stylus and a 0.3mm, and I calibrate both the same as Matt described above adusting the start and stop angles on the ball.
                I find that I have better results using the 0.3mm or 0.5mm, even though the pointed stylus calibrates with a very small standard deviation.

Comment

So sorry I guess I should have added the word "CAN" be used without cal....

www.pmargage.com/stykit20.htm

This is what we have and scribing with it will give you nothing but trouble. Guess I'm not sure what you have.

Comment

So sorry I guess I should have added the word "CAN" be used without cal....

www.pmargage.com/stykit20.htm

This is what we have and scribing with it will give you nothing but trouble. Guess I'm not sure what you have.
                    I just looked at the Renishaw site and they no longer show (or have) the tip that I have that is on my old poster. They now only offer pointers with a small radius on the end (0.1mm), however, mine is a sharpe point, no radius, pointer/scribe tip made out of carbide.
                    sigpic

Comment

Don't get the gloves out boys...
                      sigpic
                      Xcel 15-20-10 - PFXcel 7-6-5 - Merlin 11-11-7 - Romer Absolute 7525SI
                      PCDMIS 2012
                      Windows Office XP

Comment

Originally posted by rangerboat72 View Post
                        Don't get the gloves out boys...
                        The 'love-glove'?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
                          The 'love-glove'?
                          Oh, I hope not! Should I even ask what the love-glove looks like? Oh please do not show it....
                          sigpic
                          Xcel 15-20-10 - PFXcel 7-6-5 - Merlin 11-11-7 - Romer Absolute 7525SI
                          PCDMIS 2012
                          Windows Office XP

Comment

Tested is running in horror. Matt wins..... AHHHHH

Comment

Originally posted by rangerboat72 View Post
                              Oh, I hope not! Should I even ask what the love-glove looks like? Oh please do not show it....
                              You asked for it so here it is. Get your very own for only $9.99!

Comment