True Position Of Datum Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True Position Of Datum Features

A couple of questions about true position call outs for datums.

1) I have a 4 Way "B" Datum hole. This hole resides on the primary Datum "A" surface. I have a diametrical true position call out of .1 of the hole to Datum "A" on the drawing. Is this feasible? If so how would it be possible to calculate TP of the hole to Datum "A"?

2) The same drawing has a call out for the 2 Way slot Datum "C" which also resides on the Datum "A" plane. The call out is .4 to "A" and "B" at MMC. I am confused as to why you would ask for TP when the feature itself has been used to rotate the alignment and set to nominal? What are you checking it to A/B since the alignment has not been established until rotating to "C"? Is the intent that you are verifying alignment by calling this out?

Sorry if confusing, I really appreciate any help here!

1) PERP to -A-

2) They are controlling the spread between the holes.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

I nearly universally align to ABC first, and then report the location/position of the ABC features. Since TP|A is just perp, and TP A|B is just spread, there's no harm in doing it this way, and there's nothing gained trying to do it any other way.

Also, if your C is a slot, the length of the slot is really the spread, but probably is to ABC and not AB, so the true Datum C (the opposed surfaces of the slot) doesn't actually have a "spread".

So, your TP for B should be 0, unless you can measure a full cylinder and that cylinder is skewed (sheet metal doesn't really have that concern), and your TP for C should be 0 (this changes is C is a hole instead of a slot, then there is truly a "spread".)
      "This is my word... and as such is beyond contestation."

Comment

Good morning, can someone tell me what the DA is? Thank you
        Attached Files

Comment

• dph51
          dph51 commented
          Editing a comment
          Maybe “Deviation Angle”

Originally posted by Francisco Rebelo da Cruz View Post
        Good morning, can someone tell me what the DA is? Thank you
        As dph51 commented it's the angle of the position deviation.
        PC-DMIS 2016.0 SP8

Jeff

Comment

Thank you for the replies! I should have specified this originally but this part is .8 MM thick sheet metal and the "B" datum is obviously measured as a circle and not a cylinder thus perpendicularity cannot be calculated. It seems as though this call out of diametrical true position of hole "B" to plane "A" is invalid based on the feedback here, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by TAC45 View Post
            Thank you for the replies! I should have specified this originally but this part is .8 MM thick sheet metal and the "B" datum is obviously measured as a circle and not a cylinder thus perpendicularity cannot be calculated. It seems as though this call out of diametrical true position of hole "B" to plane "A" is invalid based on the feedback here, correct?
            Not invalid, but not checkable. Basically, it means that your stamping die needs to pierce that hole normal to surface. I see it a lot. I have fixtures for everything, I align the fixture (it's own program), save to external alignment, then check the part in a 'check' program (that recalls the external alignment). I will then measure the 4-way (B) and the 2-way (C), then do an alignment in the check program using JUST those 2 features, construct a line, rotate to the line, origin to the B, then report B (has ZERO deviations since it is origin) then report the C, it has ZERO deviation in the locating direction and a deviation in the non-locating direction.
            sigpic
            Originally posted by AndersI
            I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Thanks for the help!

Comment