Measuring keyway slots when machine at different spots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Measuring keyway slots when machine at different spots

I have a program that measures the width of the keyway slots. I basically have a point taken on the inside of both sides. At times the slots are machine in the wrong place and the porgram stops because it either cannot find the first hit or when it takes the first point I have to reset the CMM. Is there a way I can tell the CMM to probe the area and then take the points, without having the CMM stop.

Beginer User
    PC-DMIS 3.5 R2
    Attached Files

When the program errors out just go to manual mode, and just measure the feature that it errored on. Then press the done button, and the program will continue on. Remember that that feature was measured manually, and will not be as accurate as DCC.
    Time for the Trolls to leave.

Comment

change your prehit and check distances to a larger value...drawback is it will increase the amount of time it takes to measure the feature...and then reset the values after the slot is done

of course this depends on "how far" the slot is machined out of place as to whether this will work
      Last edited by bob mappes; 04-19-2007, 08:19 PM.
      Which one gets ridden today? MPH vs MPG..tough choice, both are FUN
      sigpic

Starrett RGDC 4028-24 :alien:
      Demon vintages 3.7, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 2009

Comment

Originally posted by cumminsdesiel View Post
        I have a program that measures the width of the keyway slots. I basically have a point taken on the inside of both sides. At times the slots are machine in the wrong place and the porgram stops because it either cannot find the first hit or when it takes the first point I have to reset the CMM. Is there a way I can tell the CMM to probe the area and then take the points, without having the CMM stop.

Beginer User
        PC-DMIS 3.5 R2
        how far off location are they? if it is that bad put an add in the paper for a new machinist.

Comment

Groove Widths, Uck!

I can feel your pain..

If your features are Auto Vector Points, you can change the target value to match what the measured is, which may work for you if the slot is repeatably off location. Also how repeatable is the groove width? If it's predictable you can add an Expression to the Second Vector point's Target value to offset it the presumed groove width from the First Measured Point.
          Mr. Comment
          SCIROCCO-NT 13-20-10
          B3C-LC Controller (Leitz Protocol), SP600M, TP200
          PCDMIS CAD++ v4.3 MR1(Build: 12/11/08)
          sigpic

Comment

Whenever I run into parts that are consistantly different I use a read point that prompt the operator to stick the probe in the center of the feature then I either translate to it or use the relative measure.
            sigpic
            Xcel 15-20-10 - PFXcel 7-6-5 - Merlin 11-11-7 - Romer Absolute 7525SI
            PCDMIS 2012
            Windows Office XP

Comment

The slots are typically off maybe a coupleof times a month or so depend on if the machine goes down. I have the prehit and retract to half the slot width.Thanks guys for everything

Comment

Don't quote me on this but, I think that you can use "on error" then if its bad you can send it to a "lable" that turns the program automaticaly into manual mode. then GOTO another lable just below that feature. this would would keep the program from needing to be reset. You may be able to play around with this to get even more creative.

Comment