EXTREMELY LONG dimensional report with a PowerPoint doc inserted into program!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXTREMELY LONG dimensional report with a PowerPoint doc inserted into program!

I have inserted a Powerpoint document into my program providing part setup instructions for the part onto the cmm plate. Since I have inserted this document as a 'report command', my reports have become very long, over 50 pages, with my actual dimensioning report occupying the last few pages. So I must scroll all the way to the end of the report to see my results. When I print the report, it wants to print all the pages in the document. I'm not sure what to do.

Suggestions? Anyone seen this before?

Aaron Fenner
    Quality Engineer
    PC-Dmis v4.3
    B & S Global Status 7.7.7
    6 years xp 32-bit

sigpic

Originally posted by afenner View Post
    I have inserted a Powerpoint document into my program providing part setup instructions for the part onto the cmm plate. Since I have inserted this document as a 'report command', my reports have become very long, over 50 pages, with my actual dimensioning report occupying the last few pages. So I must scroll all the way to the end of the report to see my results. When I print the report, it wants to print all the pages in the document. I'm not sure what to do.

Suggestions? Anyone seen this before?
    FORMS?
    Last edited by JamesMannes; 04-18-2007, 12:10 PM. Reason: add ?
    sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

In old versions you could have it in your program as a icon, just in edit, or to the report. It "mine anyway" V4.1 just prints them out.

Comment

I placed the external file in as an icon and it made no difference in this case. My report still wants to be 50+ pages long.

Aaron Fenner
        Quality Engineer
        PC-Dmis v4.3
        6 years xp 32-bit

sigpic

Comment

If you placed that power-point presentation intoa form, it would not be a part of the program, but could still be accessed. Not sure how to do it, but try tech support?
          sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMannes View Post
            but try tech support?
            ooohhhhhh.....!!!
            RFS Means Really Fussy Stuff

When all you have is a hammer - everything looks like a nail....
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kbotta View Post
              ooohhhhhh.....!!!
              Hey someone has to make them earn their $$$. Alright fine. I'll call tomorrow and ask how to do it. Ok? j/k
              sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Wes do you have the number to call...lol
                sigpic
                if you had soap on a rope it would be tied to yer ankle

Comment

Originally posted by T Miller View Post
                  Wes do you have the number to call...lol
                  1-800-343-7933

I already emailed them the question I'll get back to you when I feel like it. Sound familiar?
                  sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

"Ask and Ye Shall Receive..."

You can insert, as James said, the power point presentation into a Form which then executes when the part program runs. You can embed the Powerpoint presentation into a custom form, using the OLE object. For instructions on how to do this, see "Providing Operator Instructions Using OLE Objects with Forms" in the "Reporting Measurement Results" section in the v4.1 help file. It provides step by step instructions with pictures on how to do this with both Word documents and Powerpoint presentations.

Good luck!
                    Jared Hess - PC-DMIS Documentation Team Lead @ HMI
                    [View 2008 Reporting Tutorials Here]

Comment

Originally posted by JaredHess View Post

You can insert, as James said, the power point presentation into a Form which then executes when the part program runs. You can embed the Powerpoint presentation into a custom form, using the OLE object. For instructions on how to do this, see "Providing Operator Instructions Using OLE Objects with Forms" in the "Reporting Measurement Results" section in the v4.1 help file. It provides step by step instructions with pictures on how to do this with both Word documents and Powerpoint presentations.

Good luck!
                      Hmmmm, I'll have to give that a look-see myself. I haven't payed with too much of that in 4.1...
                      sigpic
                      Xcel 15-20-10 - PFXcel 7-6-5 - Merlin 11-11-7 - Romer Absolute 7525SI
                      PCDMIS 2012
                      Windows Office XP

Comment

Originally posted by JaredHess View Post

Good luck!
                        Jared,
                        Do you have a red cape? Every time something comes up regarding 4.0+ that I can't answer you swoop in and answer. Very nice. I am going to review that immediately and probably print it out. There are so many items in the help file now that it is like going through the settings editor where do you start? Thanks and talk to you later.
                        sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Jared's instructions (both here and in the HELP files), were right on the $$. Works like a charm. Thanks for another option in providing detailed instruction to the people using my programs.
                          sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

All right boys, I've found my answer...

Page 1461 of the v4.1 DMIS reference manual .pdf that I d/l from their site.

Marking External Objects for Execution

By default, external objects print and do not execute when executing a part program.
                            However, with some objects, the desired action may be to execute and not print.
                            Example: When embedding a graphic, the desired action may be to print the graphic to the report; while when embedding a sound or movie clip, the desired action may be to execute the object to play the clip at execution time.

External objects have four modes of execution:
                            1. Print – Don’t execute
                            2. Don’t print – Don’t execute
                            3. Don’t Print – Execute
                            4. Print – Execute

To switch between the different modes, press F3 while the insertion point is on the same line as the external object in the Edit window.

Believe it or not, I followed the instructions here, by hitting F3 while the object was highlighted I selected the 'Don't Print-Execute' option, and my report no longer wanted to be 50 pages long!

Aaron Fenner
                            Quality Engineer
                            PC-Dmis v4.3
                            6 years xp 32-bit

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by afenner View Post
                              All right boys, I've found my answer...

Page 1461 of the v4.1 DMIS reference manual .pdf that I d/l from their site.

Marking External Objects for Execution

By default, external objects print and do not execute when executing a part program.
                              However, with some objects, the desired action may be to execute and not print.
                              Example: When embedding a graphic, the desired action may be to print the graphic to the report; while when embedding a sound or movie clip, the desired action may be to execute the object to play the clip at execution time.

External objects have four modes of execution:
                              1. Print – Don’t execute
                              2. Don’t print – Don’t execute
                              3. Don’t Print – Execute
                              4. Print – Execute

To switch between the different modes, press F3 while the insertion point is on the same line as the external object in the Edit window.

Believe it or not, I followed the instructions here, by hitting F3 while the object was highlighted I selected the 'Don't Print-Execute' option, and my report no longer wanted to be 50 pages long!

More than one way to do some things I guess. Glad you figured that one out. I didn't even think of going the external object route and changing the print/execute modes.
                              Jared Hess - PC-DMIS Documentation Team Lead @ HMI
                              [View 2008 Reporting Tutorials Here]

Comment