2017 R1: XACT MEASURE: TP of CYLINDERS STARTPNT/ENDPNT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 R1: XACT MEASURE: TP of CYLINDERS STARTPNT/ENDPNT

As the title states, in XACT measure when reporting true position of cylinder, even though cylinders are built exactly the same, some use ENDPNT and some use STARTPNT.

Why?

• Ego Murphy
    replied
    At my place of employment it's our internal standard to report both ends, not just the worst.
    Usually we just do two circles, sometimes we report both ends of the cylinder using Legacy.
    It's saved out butts a few times when diagnosing what's wrong:
    a) If both are out the same direction, then part needs a simple machining shift.
    b) If one is out and the other in, or worse yet if both are out but in opposite directions, then the hole is crooked and we need a machining fixture adjustment (or a refresh training for how to load the part).

Leave a comment:

• KIRBSTER269
    commented on 's reply
    I figured sometimes it helps to see pictures. Yeah at worst this part of the cylinder would cause you a fitting issue. Basically in hillbilly terms "Your problem is up here, not down here" or vice versa
    Last edited by KIRBSTER269; 01-21-2019, 10:06 AM.

• BIGWIG7
    replied
    THANKS Kirbster. I was just trying to figure out what is the determining factor that leads to XACT picking START or END. It's just reporting WORST case.

Leave a comment:

• KIRBSTER269
    replied
    Maybe this might help, maybe not. When making a program your handed a CAD model The perfect Part. Capture1.JPG

once you are done with your Program, you have created the mating part, so lets get rid of the CAD model and see what we have left.

Capture2.JPG

So there is my mating part. Now you run your actual part and see if it fits the mating part. From A it will break down those perfect Pins we made and place them on the part and will look at them from 2 points of view, when the 2 parts are mated together. Where does that Pin lie in the worst case based off of the condition of your hole? Top or Bottom? And of that cylinder it considers a circle at the highest and a circle at the lowest and a circle has only one thing and that's a common center POINT. Hence, Starting point or End point
    Last edited by KIRBSTER269; 01-19-2019, 11:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BIGWIG7
    replied
    thanks guys.

Leave a comment:

• AndersI
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, both ASME and ISO explicitly say that "worst end" should be reported. If you need both ends you can do a circle at each end and dimension those, or use legacy where you can select START, END, WORST or BOTH (but beware! You're not adhering to the standard in that case).

• RIDER
    replied
    In xactmeasure per ASME Y14.5, the software chooses the worst deviation to report. As far as I know, you cannot change this in xact. You can control it in legacy though.

Leave a comment:

• BIGWIG7
    replied
    anyway in XACT to make them show the same?

Leave a comment:

• Matthew D. Hoedeman
    replied
    my guess would be it is showing the worst reading. but then again, I thought that was an option you could select.

Leave a comment: