Pcdmis Vs. Zeiss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pcdmis Vs. Zeiss

One of my engineers had a question for me, he ask which CMM is more user friendly, more accurate, support and all of the above of the normal question which is a better product. So of course, I will ask you guys, because I know nothing about Zeiss. We are updating our machining and inspection process for the aluminummmmmmm hub we run which has the smallest tolerance of
    +/- .002"

So for ya'llll that knows both hit me hard and below the belt because we want true data to help spend this 120,000.00 (good and bad)
    sigpic

Let the Games Begin !!

ZydecoPete
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Warcholyk View Post
      Let the Games Begin !!

ZydecoPete
      YA..........we could turn it into a USA vs Germany thing.

Don't know anything about Zeiss except what i've heard & thats been all good.
      sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

Zeiss has very good machines and Calypso is fairly user freindly once you get used to how it want's you to do things. At my prior job I ran a Zeiss Eclipse 550 with Calypso and 2 Brown and Sharpe Global Images with PC-DMIS. The main difference I had was the service. Zeiss had horrible service.

Comment

OK, one problem with your post, you are asking about CMM's, but are useing Pcdmis as an example, Pcdmis is a software that can be put on ANY cmm, it simply controlls the CMM. As for the actual hardware, the CMM itself, you will pretty much get what you pay for. Check the specs and what software gets bundled with it. If you are currently using Pcdmis, I would BET BIG MONEY that you do not want a second CMM in your shop using a different programming system, keep them all the same, then the programs can simply be copied from one machine to the other. That being said, look at the Hexagon site for a machine that has stated specs of 1/10 of the tightest tolerance you need to check, since that is the minimum machine you will need.
          sigpic
          Originally posted by AndersI
          I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

In today's market you get what you pay for with a CMM. They all have high end machines that will push the envelopes of accuracy.

I've used PC-DMIS and Calypso, both are good. PC-DMIS was easier to learn. In my humble opinion, the Zeiss CMM has an edge when it comes to scanning, they've been at longer than any other maker and have been improving it by leaps and bounds.

The Zeiss is more expensive to maintain (service and calibration costs) and while there has been reports of poor service I never had that issue with them. I do not like the ST3 probe system as it can get pretty expensive building up probes. If you use a Renishaw or Zeiss' indexing head you are ahead of the game.
            Xcel & MicroVal Pfx & Global 37mr4 thru 2012mr1sp3
            Contura Calypso 5.4

Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth. Amen.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
              OK, one problem with your post, you are asking about CMM's, but are useing Pcdmis as an example, Pcdmis is a software that can be put on ANY cmm, it simply controlls the CMM. As for the actual hardware, the CMM itself, you will pretty much get what you pay for. Check the specs and what software gets bundled with it. If you are currently using Pcdmis, I would BET BIG MONEY that you do not want a second CMM in your shop using a different programming system, keep them all the same, then the programs can simply be copied from one machine to the other. That being said, look at the Hexagon site for a machine that has stated specs of 1/10 of the tightest tolerance you need to check, since that is the minimum machine you will need.
              Good point Matt!

Curently I'm running 3 LK'S 2 with wincmes software and the 3rd with PCDMIS which there is no comparinson of software. Had 5 B&S cmm at my old job and between B&S and LK machines there are no comparinson. But I need that extra to find the differance between B&S and ZEISS
              sigpic

Comment

OK IMO...

The Zeiss software is from the old dos days compared to Pc-Dmis. The probing systems absolutely suck, the CAD interaction is inane, the language is the worst take on DMIS since Virtual DMIS. One good thing though: the machine move really nice and pretty with the air bed lowrider suspension.

Brown and Sharpe have some very sexy CMM's, they move fast and smooth and are for the most part jugernauts. The high end B & S CMMs rock Zeiss' at 2/3 the price. Your boss won't get nothin' but a tiny, used zeiss for $120K. Pc-Dmis is the best software in the world. you cannot find a better DCC CMM system.
                Verisurf is very good software too, but it cannot control a DCC machine.

So....
                Give me Brown and Sharpe.
                sigpic

Comment

I would second Gabriel's opinion.

TK
                  sigpicHave a homebrew

Comment

we have 2 zeiss cmm's in our shop running umess 300 software. also had a upmc550 running umess 300 software. the 2 we still have are mc850's. we have 4 b&s cmm's on the floor running pcdmis. 3 mistrals and a global. imo- zeiss makes the best cmm in the world. that being said- the b&s cmm's with pcdmis are the ones being used for all our new programing with good results. pcdmis with the articulating renishaw heads are magnifcient. i think zeiss dropped the ball years ago by insisting on developing their own software (calypso) and not going with pcdmis. if i were to buy new machines i would go with the b&s with pcdmis software.
                    sigpic
                    Southern Man don't need him around anyhow!

Comment

Originally posted by Cumofo View Post
                      Pc-Dmis is the best software in the world. you cannot find a better DCC CMM system.
                      sigpic:rolleyes:

Comment

Rehit with the question again this morning, I'm thinking, that they think, that I'm thinking "which I'm not " that Zeiss CMM's are more accurate than B&S. So let me here from anyone who has both or used both to get the real scoop again on service, calibration, accuracy, support the whole 9 yards...
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dwade View Post
                          In today's market you get what you pay for with a CMM. They all have high end machines that will push the envelopes of accuracy.

I've used PC-DMIS and Calypso, both are good. PC-DMIS was easier to learn. In my humble opinion, the Zeiss CMM has an edge when it comes to scanning, they've been at longer than any other maker and have been improving it by leaps and bounds.

The Zeiss is more expensive to maintain (service and calibration costs) and while there has been reports of poor service I never had that issue with them. I do not like the ST3 probe system as it can get pretty expensive building up probes. If you use a Renishaw or Zeiss' indexing head you are ahead of the game.
                          Xcel & MicroVal Pfx & Global 37mr4 thru 2012mr1sp3
                          Contura Calypso 5.4

Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth. Amen.

Comment

Its kinda like alien vs predator......Either way you can't go wrong.........or i could be wrong.......hah
                            sigpic.....Its called golf because all the other 4 letter words were taken

Comment

Originally posted by bw_bob View Post
                              Its kinda like alien vs predator......Either way you can't go wrong.........or i could be wrong.......hah
                              Perhaps Matt will do an Alien VS Predator poll. Who would win? Man this thread is gone. Sorry AuRules, it's known to happen...............
                              <internet bumper sticker goes here>

Comment