Level 2 Class 202 scanning?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Level 2 Class 202 scanning?

My employer is finally considering sending some of us for level 2 PCDmis training (Yay!). I was looking at the descriptions for 201 and 202 and the latter is listed as scanning. I do see that the description says they teach scanning for both ttps and analog probes, but we don't currently do any scanning in PCDmis. We have a Zeiss in the lab with Calypso that we use to program any parts that need scanned. Just preparing for management's question, if we don't scan do we need the 202 class, or only the 201? Anyone think we would benefit from anything taught in 202?

Do you have PcDmis CAD++?

201 class covers your more advanced alignments such as best fit and iterative alignments. It goes over autocalibration commands, advanced dimensioning, advanced auto features, and some flow control stuff.

202 covers scanning with and without a model, measurements strategies, and basic scans.

Comment

• Cookea
      Cookea commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, we're currently running 2018 CAD++ R1 with a PH10 ttp. I just was wondering how beneficial 202 would be for us. If it's only about scanning it sounds like it might be kind of useless for what we currently do. Maybe if they want to invest in a scanning head someday...

• acgarcia
      acgarcia commented
      Editing a comment
      You can scan with your touch trigger probe. It will not make continuous contact like a analog head and it will take LOTS of touch points which may take longer than what you may currently be doing but its good valuable knowledge to have. You can do lots of thing with scans. Once you use a scanning head in training, you may want the next CMM to have a scanning head. When someday comes and a new CMM is on the way with a scanning head, you'll be ready to rock and roll. Get all the training knocked out one time instead of having to go back or not being able to go back.

• Cookea
      Cookea commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I'll provide all that info to management. Training is close enough to our location to drive every day, so they may say it'll have to wait until someday. At least I know what to tell them when they ask now. Thanks!

Unless you had scan probe and want to learn how scanning work with model & without model.

Comment

I have done scanning with both types of probes. Yes a scanning head is faster than touch scanning but there are several things to consider. With a scanning probe you need to consider that you can get a build up on the probe tips from the material scanned and the wear that happens. you do not need to take thousands of points to get accurate results.
      With touch scanning you can define how many points you actually take by changing the (max increment) of the scan.
      Where I work now we do not have scanning heads but I do scans in many of my programs. They are easy to modify when/if needed and work great for profile outputs.

I would recommend the 202 class. Take any free training that you can get from your employer.
      Time for the Trolls to leave.

Comment

• Cookea
        Cookea commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for your input. I will definitely pass that along to management! Yes, I'm always up for all the training I can get.I wasn't aware that anyone used scanning with ttps. Makes sense for profiles.

Take the most advanced classes you can. Don't sell yourself short just because management wants to.
      Che Guevara is a communist scumbag.

Comment