CMM Running super slow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CMM Running super slow

PcDmis 2017 R2 SP11 on a Brown and Sharp Mistral stops to 'think' for 20-30 seconds on every move, even between hits. Programs that ran for about 10-15 minutes total, are now a few hours.

Tried taking the CMM off the network and running everything off the local drive, different user logins and elevated the CMM user to admin. Had IT check to see if anything was changed from the computer, software, antivirus side and nothing.

Anyone experience anything similar and what was the solution? Tech support at Hexagon seems to be throwing darts now to try to solve the issue.

Used to be, some anti-virus softwares didn't play well with Pcdmis. Maybe that is still an issue and you have one of the 'bad' ones.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

• FMC.QC
      FMC.QC commented
      Editing a comment
      We saw that a long time ago, but looked into that and it's not an issue in this case.

Mistral? I assume it's a comm port? Disable fifo buffering in windows device manager if your comm port supports doing so.
    Systems Integrator
    Hexagon Manufacturing Intelligence

Comment

• FMC.QC
      FMC.QC commented
      Editing a comment
      I tried disabling the fifo buffering, but it didn't work.

How do I check the interface?

• Peter Fuller
      Peter Fuller commented
      Editing a comment
      With PC-DMIS open but no program open go to Edit>Machine interface setup and there should be a drop down with 2-4 options for a Tutorp/DeaC controller. I don't have a lot of experience with these older controllers and I don't know of any way to know which interface you should be using but the last time I ran into this on one of those machines it was one of our service guys accidentally switch the interface.

• FMC.QC
      FMC.QC commented
      Editing a comment
      I couldn't find the Tutorp/DeaC controller in any of the tabs of the Machine Interface Setup.... I attached a snippet of the popup.

Originally posted by FMC.QC View Post
    PcDmis 2017 R2 SP11 on a Brown and Sharp Mistral stops to 'think' for 20-30 seconds on every move, even between hits. Programs that ran for about 10-15 minutes total, are now a few hours.

Tried taking the CMM off the network and running everything off the local drive, different user logins and elevated the CMM user to admin. Had IT check to see if anything was changed from the computer, software, antivirus side and nothing.

Anyone experience anything similar and what was the solution? Tech support at Hexagon seems to be throwing darts now to try to solve the issue.
    One question I like to ask, though I do not really suspect it to be the case here, but when was the last time you rebooted the computer? Some people leave them running for days and weeks, but they really need a refresh once in a while.

Comment

• FMC.QC
      FMC.QC commented
      Editing a comment
      Our standard procedure for end of night shutdown is to restart the computer and the CMM. In the IT dept., that's one of the first things we ask anyone with pc issues to do.

1. If you can, I would first do any Windows updates on your computer.
    2. restart your computer and restart you CMM controller. Make sure you turn off in the computer first, then estop then the cmm controller. Sometimes resetting the connection is all you need. When turning on everything. Turn your CMM controller on, then turn you Computer on. Re home the cmm.
    3. Did the issue happen after you had updated pc-dmis versions or did the issue "randomly" occur.

Comment

• FMC.QC
      FMC.QC commented
      Editing a comment
      1 & 2 - Did all the windows updates (up to the latest windows version), restarted the computer and CMM several times.
      3 - Seems to be randomly occurring... I updated the version of Pc-Dmis after this issue to see if it would solve it, but it didn't.

On some CMM:s (controllers) there is a settable parameter for how exact positioning should be on a MOVE (a radius, controller assumes it has reached its goal if the scale values report inside this radius from the wanted point). If this parameter for some reason has been changed to a too small value, the CMM may have problems getting there, and each MOVE will take a long time. I don't know what CMM:s or controllers, but it might be worth checking with your CMM hardware support...
    AndersI
    SW support - Hexagon Metrology Nordic AB

Comment

CMM Machine Interface.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by FMC.QC View Post
        Looks like this is a Leitz controller using serial communications. I can't speculate exactly why this is happening but fifo buffering is most likely the issue. You're not scanning with this machine are you?
        Systems Integrator
        Hexagon Manufacturing Intelligence

Comment

• FMC.QC
          FMC.QC commented
          Editing a comment
          No scanning, touch probe with a Tp-20. Tried turning off the FIFO buffering, but it didn't make a difference.

What kind of controller do you have? Shapre32, Leitz, etc..

Was it a new PC install?
        Did you make a big jump in versions for example V3.2 - 2017?
        Does it happen if you start a new program or just existing programs?

Sounds like a communications issue. I've seen similar issues on retro fit machines, specifically a Mitutoyo machine retro fit with PC-DMIS. I used to run 2017 on a Mistral with a Sharpe32 controller and didn't have any issues.
        Last edited by kmcmm; 01-14-2019, 04:29 PM.
        Kevin

Comment

• FMC.QC
          FMC.QC commented
          Editing a comment
          Its a Mistral 7105 with a B&S FBPC Controller.
          Not a new PC install when the problem started... but I have uninstalled and re-installed the software a couple times.
          We've been fairly current with our software updates... had 2017 R2 SP6 until this problem.. then jumped to SP11.
          It happens on both new and old programs.

Noticed today that the normal CMM username also asks for a password when opening task manager, which doesn't happen if I use the same user account on a different PC. And when I did a fresh install on a laptop, it runs fine under the same user login.

Update... Reformatted the computer with a fresh install of Windows 10 and Pc-Dmis... all works good now. The thing that sucks is that we are not sure what happened or why.

Thanks for all the help and ideas everyone!! Much appreciated.

Comment

• kmcmm
          kmcmm commented
          Editing a comment
          I've had some odd issues with the combination of Windows 10, older controllers, and PC-DMIS so it's really hard to say. The permissions in Windows 10 don't work the same way as older versions of Windows. Even had an issue with the PC-DMIS .pdf converter where it would run the printer spool and not stop until you went in and killed the print spool process manually. Eventually had to uninstall the .pdf converter and just print to a .pdf creator.
      widgetinstance 190 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X