Quick fixture ?? Or another trick?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick fixture ?? Or another trick?

I'm programming a part offline with CAD. The only way I have to get to everything I need is to position the part on the table in a way that the probe will not have access to the back side face. It's a face that is my main datum (plane) that everything comes off of. I've got 3 tooling points (base fixture) which are precision ground that I'm going to arrange on the table and set the part on top of ... 1st probe as a plane and Z origin, then set my part on to them and go from there. Make sense?

I'm programming CAD and I don't know how to make these 3 bases (points) part of my program. Any ideas? I'm not familiar with Quick Fixture Mode ... Do I need to learn that or is there another way??

THX!
    -Bill

PC-DMIS 4.2 MR1 - Global Image 7107 - PH10MQ - SP600M

I'm presuming you plan to probe on the fixture, set part on fixture with level alignment completed, then probe on the part after?
    Program mode -> click a point, press "end" on keyboard after each one. Click on CAD where each pad is on the part, 3 points total like you said. then flip the vector for each point.

Comment

What I do in such a situation is to take the points on my cad model and then offset them by the value I need. Say for instance your part is .58 inches thick, then locate a point on the cad surface in the x/y position you need and just change the nominal for z from 0.0 to -0.58. Works like a charm.

Comment

If I understand your post correctly, I would first TRANSFORM the trihedron onto the CAD to the orientation it will be positioned on the machine.

2 (in manual mode), add 3 VECTOR POINTS on the backside face where the tooling points will be located and then FLIP the VECTORS of the points.
        3, run same points in DCC
        4, add a comment after that to load the part
        5, run rest of your alignment

Comment

Good shot guys!!! I get it, and it's easy

THANKS!
          -Bill

Comment

Help again PLEASE!! I'm finally at this thing and the confused light just went off.
            - Import model, check.
            - Transform trihedron correct to part and as it is going to sit on table, check.
            - Take vector points on under side of part model where I believe my 3 elevators will sit, check.
            - Flip vectors, check.

I'm stuck where the part coordinate system is not the same as the machine coordinate system, besides for the 3 points in ZAxis. X and Y are not established yet so how will it ever run to check the 3 points in DCC?

I need to run the 3 points, construct plane, level / origin to the plane, then put the part on top and continue with my alignment (which when the part is added I'll get the origin and rotation).

Thanks in advance for the help!!!!

EDIT: ok I think I got it.. it will not be possible to run the 3 points in DCC. Simple as that, right?
            Last edited by PowerJunkie; 01-09-2019, 01:37 PM.
            -Bill

Comment

Originally posted by PowerJunkie View Post
              Help again PLEASE!! I'm finally at this thing and the confused light just went off.
              - Import model, check.
              - Transform trihedron correct to part and as it is going to sit on table, check.
              - Take vector points on under side of part model where I believe my 3 elevators will sit, check.
              - Flip vectors, check.

I'm stuck where the part coordinate system is not the same as the machine coordinate system, besides for the 3 points in ZAxis. X and Y are not established yet so how will it ever run to check the 3 points in DCC?

I need to run the 3 points, construct plane, level / origin to the plane, then put the part on top and continue with my alignment (which when the part is added I'll get the origin and rotation).

Thanks in advance for the help!!!!

EDIT: ok I think I got it.. it will not be possible to run the 3 points in DCC. Simple as that, right?
              - Flip vectors, check.
              - Move XY noms so they are on the plate where the part isn't hiding them and the probe can beep them, check?

Comment

I'm doing a manual alignment on 3 points so I constructed a circle out of them and made that my origin. Don't know why I didn't think about that before DUHHHHH!!
                -Bill

Comment

Originally posted by PowerJunkie View Post
                  I'm doing a manual alignment on 3 points so I constructed a circle out of them and made that my origin. Don't know why I didn't think about that before DUHHHHH!!
                  Um, what?

Comment

Nononoooo no no no no no.
                    that's going to drift around on you like crazy!

You asked how to simulate a plane on your part, by probing upon standoffs, which we succeeded. This is scope creep! lol.
                    The absolute easiest way to conduct an initial alignment of your part, and have it match the cad model wherever you place it on the cmm granite is the following:
                    as we started with: Virtually/offline in Program mode on the screen: Probe 3 points where your standoffs are on the CAD model. Press "End" button on keyboard to create the plane. Flip vector direction.
                    Align Level Z+ only to that plane.
                    Now take a 2 point line, virtually in CAD again... these two points should control your rotation vector and one origin. Press end, create the line.
                    Align Rotate X+ about Z+ and origin Y on the line. You can also origin Z to the plane now.
                    Last one. take one point virtually in CAD again... press end. create the point
                    Align: Origin X.
                    Mode/DCC
                    Clearpplane Z+ value to clear the height of your part
                    move/clearplane.

Now execute this. Repeat your probe hits you made virtually in CAD, and voila, your part is now aligned and reflective of CAD model. You might be able to pass HexU 101 now. lol.

Comment