Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Alignment Features As Datums for Dimensioning

Good Afternoon,

I have a large cylinder that is Datum A and how 2 smaller cylinders ( 1 on each end) with concentricity call outs to the large cylinder Dat A. In the alignment, I use 5 points and 2 rows to align the the cylinder and define it at Datum A. I also do lots of scanning around the body of the large cylinder and construct the diameter later in the program.

Which one should I use at datum A? Should I use the cylinder for the alignment or the constructed cylinder?

In my experience leveling to an axis when sampling hits that are not perfectly patterned about the entire part, results in a measurement bias created wherever you have the highest concentration of points. To avoid any bias, I'd make sure whatever A datum you use has equally distributed hits cuts about the whole cylinder, even if that results in just two circular cuts about the ends...

Comment

• EmilySue
      EmilySue commented
      Editing a comment
      +10

Never thought about that, but that would be a really easy way to skew data unintentionally.

• PH8IL
      PH8IL commented
      Editing a comment
      ah so when management cares more about good numbers than accurate numbers I could go about it like this. lol
widgetinstance 190 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X