need help finding a diam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help finding a diam

with me being very new to this. does anyone have any ideas how to find the diameter of this dome shape? im looking for the radius where the dome touches the flat surface.. any help would be very much appreciated!! diamater quesiton.PNG

The flat surface is measured as a plane.. The dome is actually a sphere, measure it as such. Create an intersection of the plane and sphere as a circle and report the diameter.

Comment

• TomCat
      TomCat commented
      Editing a comment
      this was very helpfull! thank you very much! but when i go to dimension it. it says size calculation failed due to input feature data. please see the help file. could that have something to do with how it is picking up the sphere?

• louisd
      louisd commented
      Editing a comment
      I believe there's a set order of points necessary for defining a sphere. I think you need to take 5 hits min to construct a sphere. once you have sphere measured and plane measured, you will need to construct a circle - intersect. dimension the intersected circle.

• Jim Poehler
      Jim Poehler commented
      Editing a comment
      Tom Cat,
      If you are using CAD, look at your sphere, does it look right? Is it making firm contact with the model surface, etc. You could try several methods of creating the circle, like changing the order of intersect, such as sphere-plane intersect, plane-sphere intersect, type of circle (there are several choices available). If your sphere is complete when viewed in the model then one of those should work. As said below, do you have enough points to make the sphere? Play with it a bit and something should bite. Hope this helps you.

Use an auto sphere and move the hit in the graphic window..... and as a guess by that comment I am assuming that you haven't been to training. Get to class. You will not get to where you need to be without it.

Comment

• vlmitkov
      vlmitkov commented
      Editing a comment
      TomCat hey mate, dont be so easily offended - it helps neither you nor the people you talk to.
      What i mean is that Schlag was definitely NOT rude to you. All he wanted to say was that you NEED the classes. We all did. Those classes are the very foundation your knowledge will be build upon in the upcoming years of experience (read as "trials and errors")
      I really do not like situations like this one so i will try to explain what Schlag said (not my place or job to but i still want to try) :
      "Use an auto sphere and move the hit in the graphic window" - a bit short one but still an answer for your question
      ".... and as a guess by that comment I am assuming that you haven't been to training." - that is a BIG mistake on your employer's /boss' side. You can not expect people to be as productive as possible without giving them the proper training.
      "Get to class. You will not get to where you need to be without it." - i second that - Get some proper training. Best way to learn stuff is to ask questions. In order to ask the correct questions you need the basic knowledge. To get the basic knowledge you need those classes. Simple as that. Go to class, learn the basics, start asking questions.

• PowerJunkie
      PowerJunkie commented
      Editing a comment
      I know I'm late to the party, but what class? I've been to them all and they didn't touch what this dude is asking. Basic, CAD++, Advanced... didn't talk about this. Just saying.

• Schlag
      Schlag commented
      Editing a comment
      Because my day is going so amazing today already....Seriously ? How about 9th grade geometry class then. Intersection of a sphere on a plane is a circle. If you had bothered to read the all comments above you would have seen that it really was a question of being about to move the actual hits on the a sphere. I am pretty sure feature hit manipulation is taught in level 1.

what am i missing.PNG i dont understand what i am missing here. my nominal is correct. but when i go to measure it the measurement comes out as 1.7663 i dont understand what i am doing wrong here. can anyone give me some insight?

Comment

what am i missing.PNG

Comment

can't read attachment. did you construct the circle at the intersection of the plane and the sphere?
        Time for the Trolls to leave.

Comment

• TomCat
          TomCat commented
          Editing a comment
          yes that is what i did. sorry about the attachment. i only have the snip it tool to work with for that :\

what am i missing code.PNG here is just the code if this is more clear

Comment

• louisd
          louisd commented
          Editing a comment
          That's legible enough for me to see that you constructed the sphere, so your vectors aren't accurate. 12 points might be enough to accurately measure the sphere, BUT the 12 points should be vector-accurate. Create an AUTO SPHERE, like Schlag said, and either play with start/end angles and hit settings to get the hits on the portion of the sphere you have, then redo. The sphere can be significantly off like that. However, my guess is erred vectors are adding to that deviation quite a bit.

• UKCMM
          UKCMM commented
          Editing a comment
          I thought you wanted the diameter if the intersection if so dimension the constructed circle not create a distance between plane/sphere as you've done

• Jim Poehler
          Jim Poehler commented
          Editing a comment
          Not sure what you are trying to achieve here. You are calling out a distance from plane to sphere which has nothing to do with your circle. What is the dimension you are looking to see?

Schlag wasn't being rude. Just efficient. I have one best friend who will be that direct with me, and I love her more for her candor.

- Read the help on autosphere, especially how it explains the to different "start/end angle" drop downs.
        - Shift click on your sphere in the model to create your autosphere, then F9 the code to get the window to pop up.
        - Make sure you have it selected that hits show in graphic window.
        - Put your hits up to a LOT, so you can see what's going on with them as you change options.
        - Change the start and end angles and watch where that moved the hits. This will help you figure out what each window is controlling. Sometimes I start out by making really drastic changes until I better understand what's going on.

As someone who is in a similar boat, as far as having minimal training, push back on your employer. You can only do it correctly as fast as you can work through it. Can you learn on your own? Yes. Will it be way slower? Yes, and you will make a lot more mistakes. At my job, they've been understanding that my rate of learning is directly in proportion to whether they send me for more training, and how much seat time I get. Hang in there.

:-)

Comment

• Schlag
          Schlag commented
          Editing a comment
          For anyone who currently or has worked in quality. Better leave your emotions , frustrations , and insecurities at home. Put on your game face like you are heading into battle ( I like to picture a battle scene in Braveheart ) or they will eat you alive. There is no rude, implied, interpretations or shades of color. Only the facts in black or white matter in the end.

• vlmitkov
          vlmitkov commented
          Editing a comment
          Schlag i second that.

• Radar
          Radar commented
          Editing a comment
          EmilySue, believe me every quarter when we have performance reviews, I voice my frustration with my direct supervisor about the lack of training. We had purchased a new Global S this summer and it came with two training seats. What they decide to do was give that training to one guy who will never touch the CMM and the second guy is an entry level tech who has no clue when it comes to laying out a part manually. My train of thought was to send me out for the training, and I could help mentor the guys that are just starting.

Try changing distance to No radius instead of add radius
        Last edited by dph51; 12-13-2018, 12:44 PM.

B&S CHAMELEON/PCDMIS CAD++ V2011

There are no bugs, only "UNDOCUMENTED ENHANCEMENTS!"

sigpic

Comment

Just call out the circle and check the radius box.
          sigpic

Comment