Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Read only files saving.

Can any one help me?

We are having a difficult time with inexperienced operators corrupting programs. Is it possible to save programs as read only and then retrieve them to insp. parts?

We experimented saving them on our company share drive as read only but could not run them. Is this due to them not being saved within PC-DIMS?

Thanks,
    Robert

First off, don't put them on a network drive - except for backups.

Second, open pc-dmis, go to file - open, right click on the file name. Down at the bottom is "properties" left click on this. Check the box marked "read-only", click ok. Now, the file can not be saved.

Of course, if you have "save on execute" checked in the f5 options of pc-dmis you will get an error so uncheck that. Also, if people go to file-close it will kick up an error about not being able to save and asking you to do a save-as.

This can be eliminated by removing the "close" option from the file menu. Leave the "quit" option in there and hopefully they will use it. It will not try to save the file.

Oh, and it also helps if you remove the "save" option from the file menu and the save icons from the toolbar. Then you just need to remember ctrl+s for when you are writing programs.

Comment

Robert,

This is due to the fact that when you run a PC-DMIS program it writes current measured data to the program file so it cannot be a read only.

We have inspectors run in operator mode which partially solves the problem however would like VERY much to make the program files read only. Anyone with further thoughts? Maybe this should go on our wish list

Addison
      v2010 CAD ++ Global Image 121510

Comment

....always have a current backup of the revision you require
        ....pcdmis doesn't have the ability internally to make files "read only"

files made "read only" within windows properties should be able to run but the results of the run and/or closing the program wont save those results unless they are output to a file or paper. You will be prompted to do a "save as" another filename which creates a mess (in my opinion).

Some networks might require certain permissions to open files remotely (i.e. on the cmm's pc). This isn't usually the case. I cant imagine why they are not able to run.

the other weak option is to run the files in "operator mode" by use of a (-O) extension after the .exe in the pcdlrn.exe command line C:\PCDMISW\PCDLRN.exe -O

this is a locked down way of running prog's without the ability of corruption

they have improved this option as of late but it still is somewhat limited

search this forum for read only or operator mode

good luck with the noobee's
        sigpiccall me "Plum Crazy"....but you only go around once!

Comment

Originally posted by Addison Wood View Post
          Robert,

This is due to the fact that when you run a PC-DMIS program it writes current measured data to the program file so it cannot be a read only.

We have inspectors run in operator mode which partially solves the problem however would like VERY much to make the program files read only. Anyone with further thoughts? Maybe this should go on our wish list

Addison
          You can make them read-only. See my post above. The thing is that while the program is open they can make changes. They just can't save them. PC-DMIS will still run the program and put the newest measured data in there. It is just if you close the file and open it again, the measured data in there is the measured data from the last save before making it read-only.

Comment

There is also another option that no one has mentioned yet......STI. You may wish to investigate STI (Single Touch Interface) mode. It allows you to run a PowerPoint type presentation as a front end to PC-DMIS.

To use it, your opperators would click on a "button" on the screen. This button would point to a PC-DMIS program file. Once the button is pressed, it would run the program that you have assigned to it. Once completed, the operator can review the report on the screen and/or print it out.

You can also create a slideshow with part pictures, part drawings, etc. When the program is completed the operator can view your slide show and see each feature that you defined along with the measured dimensional data.

When you wish to modify a program or create a new one, exit out of STI (via password), start up PC-DMIS and work as usual.

Comment

I forgot to mention that you must activate STI before you can use it. I believe the cost is around $1,000 - $1,500. Your Brown and Sharpe salesperson can help you with this purchase should you decide to use it.

I wish you success which ever method you choose!

Comment

STI was are fix to that problem.we went to the point of two differnt logins
                one just for the sti so they could not get to pcdmis.
                and a login for program editing.
                and it was around $1500.00
                Global Image 7107 4.2 MR1
                Global Advantage 575 4.2 MR1
                Mitutoyo FN1106 4.2 MR1 with STI

Comment