"Leapfrog" equate alignment question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Leapfrog" equate alignment question

I am working on a part that is too long for my CMM. I have successfully used equate alignment to allow me to measure both ends. All of the original features "snap" to their correct locations on the CAD after the equate as I would expect, and everything continues smoothly. The only issue I have is that, after running the program through, if I want to go back and re-execute one of my features from before the equate alignment the program still treats the part as if it's in the after equate alignment position. I hope this makes sense to someone. If not let me know and I can try to clarify. I'd post code, but the program is about 6700 lines so far. Just to reiterate, the issue I'm having is not making the equate alignment work, it's just how to make the program use the initial dcc alignment when trying to manually execute features in the program from before I used the equate. Also, when I run the program through I have to manually align the next part each time or it thinks it's still in the shifted position. Same issue, just may help clarify a little if it was still unclear. I hope

I am not sure but is the "Reset Global Settings After Branching" on in the setup options?
    sigpicIt's corona time!
    737 Xcel Cad++ v2009MR1....SE HABLA ESPAƑOL

Comment

• Cookea
      Cookea commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, reset global settings is checked

Originally posted by Cookea View Post
    I am working on a part that is too long for my CMM. I have successfully used equate alignment to allow me to measure both ends. All of the original features "snap" to their correct locations on the CAD after the equate as I would expect, and everything continues smoothly. The only issue I have is that, after running the program through, if I want to go back and re-execute one of my features from before the equate alignment the program still treats the part as if it's in the after equate alignment position.
    Correct, you've moved the part, and the alignment, in sync. You need to measure ALL the features from the original position BEFORE you move the part. Otherwise, you'd have to perform a 2nd Equate alignment (and move the part back to its original position) to get more features from that 1st position.

Originally posted by Cookea View Post
    Also, when I run the program through I have to manually align the next part each time or it thinks it's still in the shifted position. Same issue, just may help clarify a little if it was still unclear. I hope
    Correct. Once you've moved the part and performed the Equate Alignment, the original position is "lost", as if it never existed. All those features were transformed forward into the new coordinate system.

Comment

• Cookea
      Cookea commented
      Editing a comment
      So basically whenever you do an equate alignment both manual alignments will have to be run every time you run the part? Not a dealbreaker for me since I'll pretty much be the only one running this program, but still kinda disappointing. I was hoping to be able to go full DCC from now on as long as the setup is the same.

So basically whenever you do an equate alignment both manual alignments will have to be run every time you run the part? Not a dealbreaker for me since I'll pretty much be the only one running this program, but still kinda disappointing. I was hoping to be able to go full DCC from now on as long as the setup is the same.
    If you write protect the original program (and do a scripted Save as... another name at the end if you want to keep the numbers), you might get by with just Close and Open the write protected original again.
    AndersI
    SW support - Hexagon Metrology Nordic AB

Comment

• Cookea
      Cookea commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks AndersI, but we won't be running this often enough for it to be that big of a deal. I'll just put a comment at the beginning to never unmark the manual alignments in case someone else runs it. The biggest inconvenience for this is probably that you can't re-execute any of the features before the equate alignment if you think there was a funky hit or if the position is slightly off and you need to adjust the nominal so you can at least probe it to let them know how far off it is. Anyway, it's good to know this now before I fully jump on the equate alignment bandwagon lol. We have a romer arm as well, so that may be better suited to these jobs. Was just trying to figure a way to do it on the brown and sharpe.

I haven't had time to try it yet, but what do you guys think about recalling an external alignment at the beginning of the program?

Comment

That's fine, if you can put the part back in the same location as it was originally, AND perform a DCC alignment after that to make up for placement errors.

Comment

• Cookea
        Cookea commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Don! I'll try that out once I get a few of these projects cleared out. Would definitely be nice, especially for projects in the future that will run more often.