Question????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question????

The Lead Programmer here is an old-timer. He has a 1-2-3 block mounted on the CMM. My question is why? I would ask him but he can be a bit long winded. Also, If this isn't in the correct place, please forgive me.
    Darroll

I knew a guy that was really old school wanted to program all of his alignments based on an offset from the 1-2-3 block. I'm guessing he was doing something like that, or using it as an artifact for the CMM. Either way, total headache and unnecessary

Comment

• Darrollh
      Darrollh commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what I thought. Its never moved. Sometimes, I've seen the cmm probe the block then go to the part. I was wondering if he uses that for a manual alignment.

• CodeWarrior
      CodeWarrior commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah it took me like 2 hours to set up a part right for his program and I never tried that method again. I almost always use read points now

Just ask him. It may make you feel sane and light years ahead of this guy. Either way it may be good for your ego ?

Or maybe just the opposite ? Like all the posts below this.... Maybe his genius is so far ahead you cant even comprehend without his explanation ???
    Last edited by Schlag; 11-08-2018, 10:46 AM.

Comment

+1

B&S CHAMELEON/PCDMIS CAD++ V2011

There are no bugs, only "UNDOCUMENTED ENHANCEMENTS!"

sigpic

Comment

Sometimes, it's used to align the part on the granite...
        I never do it, even if you could consider that I'm from old school or old-timer (and I learned a new expression today !)

Some of "old-timers" began metrology on a granite with columns or lever-type dial indicator with gauge blocks.
        They came to the cmm with a large experience of metrology, but keeped "old" methods...
        Speaking with him could be a good idea, there are always something to learn with someone "different" !
        For example, when a machinist learn about cmm, his approach is not "standard", but always interesting !

Comment

• Kp61dude!
          Kp61dude! commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 don't be afraid of talking to "old-timers" here where I work we have an 83 year old from the Old Testament times. HE IS FULL OF KNOWLEDGE and dirty jokes! Yes he's a talker but in that 45min respond to a simple question I got a few "golden nuggets" you can't just go out and google.

• Don Ruggieri
          Don Ruggieri commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree. In that 45 minutes, he can likely share several bits of information he gather of years of learning. That's not a bad trade-off.

+1
        PC-DMIS CAD++ 2o18 R2 SP2

Comment

As I stand at the metrology gate as a new old timer, I suggest you talk to him. As others have stated, get the nuggets while you can. Just be careful not to take the pooh, could look like a nugget. I usually get pooh nuggets from young management, not much help at times. Send them to school, they think they know it all, but to be fair, there are a couple young ones I pay attention to and learn something new.

Comment

• Lord_Warfield
            Lord_Warfield commented
            Editing a comment
            Pooh nuggets... LOL!!!

One neat trick I learned from an 'older than me timer' was to redundantly measure the same point with two or more different angles that are being used in the program already. only one of them was actually used for the inspection, but after all are measured, the results are compared, and if they don't agree satisfactorily, a comment pops up telling you that you have a calibration issue. Might he be doing something similar, but using the 1-2-3 Block instead of the part? That might be easier to work into a program than hits on the actual part, depending on it's complexity.

Comment