Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equate align. for a Gear.

Hey folks,

I have a spur gear to program and after looking at the print I have a question, hopefully you can help me.

Most features to measure are on the main face, but the origin is a lower O.D at the center bore which I can only measure it if I flip the part.
    Do you think "equate" alignment is the way? Never used it before.

I've read some old post, but mostly are for parts that don't fit the CMM.

I appreciate your assistance.
    sigpicIt's corona time!
    737 Xcel Cad++ v2009MR1....SE HABLA ESPAÑOL

I was told from a B&S teacher in Nashville to stay away from equate alignment there is problems with it. 3.7MR2 is what I run and maybe in a later version they have corrected it.
    sigpic

Comment

Equate Alignment?

Roberto,

Do you have a CAD model for the Gear? It seems to me that CAD models are rear for gears, and if you don't have one then you don't need equate alignment.

Aside from that, try it. I do remember that there was a problem a qhile back, but the Equate Alignment function is one of those that is often mis-understood. If it works for you, use it. I've used it plenty of times, and it is a nice feature to have available.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Ruggieri View Post
        Roberto,

Do you have a CAD model for the Gear? It seems to me that CAD models are rear for gears, and if you don't have one then you don't need equate alignment.

Aside from that, try it. I do remember that there was a problem a qhile back, but the Equate Alignment function is one of those that is often mis-understood. If it works for you, use it. I've used it plenty of times, and it is a nice feature to have available.
        Thanks Don,

No, I don't have CAD.
        I will try the alignment and see what happens. May get back with Q's.
        Thanks again.
        sigpicIt's corona time!

Comment

I was wrong

Roberto,

I was confused when I wrote that, more than usual

I was thinking of CAD=PART, and you were asking about Equate Alignment.

Equate alignment is typically for when a part needs to be moved, just as you described. Let me try again. . . .

Equate alignment might be exactly what you need, if you have to flip the part. Can you not access the other features from underneath? WIth an articulating wrist? Can you measure the plane it sits on instead (if it is just a datum surface?

With equate alignment, you align to one set of features and measure everything you can reach. Then you move the part and create the same alignment (preferably with the same features) and measure the rest of the part. Now you can compare the two sets of features to each other.

Again, I apologize for the confusion, it has nothing to do with CAD.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Ruggieri View Post
            Roberto,

I was confused when I wrote that, more than usual

I was thinking of CAD=PART, and you were asking about Equate Alignment.

Equate alignment is typically for when a part needs to be moved, just as you described. Let me try again. . . .

Equate alignment might be exactly what you need, if you have to flip the part. Can you not access the other features from underneath? WIth an articulating wrist? Can you measure the plane it sits on instead (if it is just a datum surface?

With equate alignment, you align to one set of features and measure everything you can reach. Then you move the part and create the same alignment (preferably with the same features) and measure the rest of the part. Now you can compare the two sets of features to each other.

Again, I apologize for the confusion, it has nothing to do with CAD.
            That's exactly what I did Don.

Worked fine thanks.

I guess, now I suposse to say "This thread is closed"
            sigpicIt's corona time!

Comment