Clearance Plane with a Compound Angle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clearance Plane with a Compound Angle

I have to measure the walls of a pocket that are at a compound angle. The center of my part is X0,Y0 and the top of my part is Z0. How do I set my clearance plane so that the probe comes in normal to the centerline of the pocket? I do not have a model to bring in to PC-DMIS. If you need additional information let me know. Thanks in advance.

20181011_065957_resized.jpg
    Attached Files

easiest way would be to program a point in the center of the bottom of the pocket, then use the normal clearance plane that you have, but turn on AVOIDANCE MOVE BEFORE for that point, set it high enough so that the BEFORE move is 'outside' the pocket, then your probe is inside, program the pocket, then another point at the center of the pocket, with AVOIDANCE MOVE AFTER
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

If you create a plane on the surface you want it to be normal to and level to it, it will rotate your coordinate system to match and then your clearplane will be normal to the surface. Once this is done, you can put your jogbox in PART mode to move along the axes of the part instead of the axes of the machine, which will help when you manually take features

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Ruff View Post
        If you create a plane on the surface you want it to be normal to and level to it, it will rotate your coordinate system to match and then your clearplane will be normal to the surface. Once this is done, you can put your jogbox in PART mode to move along the axes of the part instead of the axes of the machine, which will help when you manually take features
        Unless you redefine the clearance plane, that will have no effect on the program running the clearance plane. Once set, it is not really tied to the alignment, but to the machine. I have to do this every now and then when I get a fixture in that is not built square to the part data (automotive). Simply align to the base of the fixture (which is 'square' to the machine), set your clearance plane, then re-do the alignment to match part co-ordinates, and the clearance plane stay set square to the base. Works pretty good that way.
        sigpic
        Originally posted by AndersI
        I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

• Mike Ruff
          Mike Ruff commented
          Editing a comment
          Dang, I didn't realize I didn't mention you need to redefine the clearplane after the alignment ​​​​​​​ I must need more coffee

Create a generic plane (If you haven't measure plane already) and level alignment (optionally set Z origin) define a clearplane under the new alignment. Feel free to toggle back and forth different alignmets to achieve proper probe paths. It will look messy when it gets really busy but hey as long as your probe is making nice smooth efficient moves it's all good.

I have to achieve a target cycle time on all parts, XXmin or less!!! You learn to pay attention to fine detail like feature sequence execution and of course clearplanes and movepoints. Every fraction of a second counts.
        PcDmis 2015.1 SP10 CAD++
        Global 7-10-7 DC800S

Comment

• louisd
          louisd commented
          Editing a comment
          To shave seconds and cut corners, literally, you should check out flymode and move increments instead of clearance planes. I love move/increment, just make sure you have a robust alignment structure or -crash-!

• Kp61dude!
          Kp61dude! commented
          Editing a comment
          Wish move/increment worked in offline mode, I agree those little things are amazing! As an alternative I use move points that work as a move/increments though they could get a little buggy when you start copying and pasting commands.

Looks like so:
          Code:
                      MOVE/POINT,NORMAL,<,,5.0000>
          Probe would move to Z 5 position ignoring X,Y. Somewhat similar to move increments but not quite.