Need to flip CAD model in Z

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to flip CAD model in Z

I am measuring a symmetrical part. I need to flip (rotate) the CAD model about the x-axis 180 deg, so when i measure the same features on the opposite end of the part, they are recognized in dmis, on the model, on the opposite end of the part. I do not need to re-ailgn because the part will be physically re-aligned in the exact same postition. I think this is possible...I have already searched these forums and haven't found solid answers...

Aaron Fenner
    Quality Engineer
    PC-Dmis v4.3
    B & S Global Status 7.7.7
    6 years xp 32-bit

sigpic

Originally posted by afenner View Post
    I am measuring a symmetrical part. I need to flip (rotate) the CAD model about the x-axis 180 deg, so when i measure the same features on the opposite end of the part, they are recognized in dmis, on the model, on the opposite end of the part. I do not need to re-ailgn because the part will be physically re-aligned in the exact same postition. I think this is possible...I have already searched these forums and haven't found solid answers...
    You can mirror the program, which will 'flip' the Z values, you can mirror the cad INSIDE the program and you can COPY ~ PASTE WITH PATTERN and mirror the Z and it will all be in one program.

FILE ~ OPERATIONS ~ MIRROR to mirror the entire program, cad and points

EDIT ~ PATTERN select what you want to do, in this case, flip the Z)
    then COPY all the features, then EDIT ~ PASTE WITH PATTERN

OPERATIONS ~ GRAPHICS DISPLAY WINDOW ~ MIRROR to mirror just the cad data.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

So you have one end of the part program created and once thats finishes you want PCDMIS to stop so that you can rotate the part and then check the same features over again?

Since the part is symetrical, why is it necessary to rotate the CAD model 180 degrees first? One option could be to place your program in a loop which would execute twice, but rotate the about the X axis 180 degrees. This would make your features show up in different locations on the screen without rotating the CAD model.
      Mr. Comment
      SCIROCCO-NT 13-20-10
      B3C-LC Controller (Leitz Protocol), SP600M, TP200
      PCDMIS CAD++ v4.3 MR1(Build: 12/11/08)
      sigpic

Comment

Actually I like Matt's idea of mirroring the program, you can copy and paste that and then never have to screw with the loops. Which are a pain the bum with PCDMIS.
        Mr. Comment
        SCIROCCO-NT 13-20-10
        B3C-LC Controller (Leitz Protocol), SP600M, TP200
        PCDMIS CAD++ v4.3 MR1(Build: 12/11/08)
        sigpic

Comment

I'm gonna try the mirror idea first, i have only toyed with looping and haven't really implemented the use of loops in my programs yet, and I haven't been officially trained on looping yet. I may try that in the future.

thx fellas...

Aaron Fenner
          Quality Engineer
          PC-Dmis v4.3
          B & S Global Status 7.7.7
          6 years xp 32-bit

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by afenner View Post
            I'm gonna try the mirror idea first, i have only toyed with looping and haven't really implemented the use of loops in my programs yet, and I haven't been officially trained on looping yet. I may try that in the future.

thx fellas...
            ONE thing you HAVE to remember about mirroring, if your are also mirroring alignment features, they will now have to be measured in the opposite direction, mainly lines. If the line was measured from 'left to right' initially, then you will have to measure it from 'right to left' in the mirrored program.
            sigpic
            Originally posted by AndersI
            I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Hmmmm...
              whut about using the 'paste as pattern' option? Is the part outside of the CMM measuring envelope? Then use an equate alignment after shift. ?
              sigpic

Comment

4.2 ver.

Has anyone seen the start and end points of an auto circle/cylinder reversed after a mirror operation of a complete program.. ?

Like the mirrorred program is measuring the section you wanted cutout.

Thanks

Comment

I would do a Paste with Pattern. Use zero offset in X, Y, and Z as you say the part will be in the exact same place. Then rotate about necsessary axis as part of the Pattern Paste. No surprises.
                  Bill Jarrells
                  A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. - Mark Twain

Comment