Y-Axis Jump and Z-Axis Lag Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y-Axis Jump and Z-Axis Lag Error

This has happened a few times in the past (maybe 4 times in the last year). Now, it has happened twice in the last two days. While moving manually with the jog box, the machine will 'jump' in the +y direction. It will only move an inch or so and then be back to normal. Needless to say, it scares the poo out of the operator. After it does this, it kicks up an error that reads "Z-axis excess lag error"

According to previous posts, that lag error is because of movement that is unexpected. I find it odd that it is a z-axis error instead of a y-axis error. I suppose it could be moving in both y and z but more easily noticed in y. I believe the lag error is a result of the jump so I think if I fix the jump, the error will not occur.

Anyone know what could be causing this jump? Do you think it could be the joystick going bad?

Originally posted by Goodluck View Post
    This has happened a few times in the past (maybe 4 times in the last year). Now, it has happened twice in the last two days. While moving manually with the jog box, the machine will 'jump' in the +y direction. It will only move an inch or so and then be back to normal. Needless to say, it scares the poo out of the operator. After it does this, it kicks up an error that reads "Z-axis excess lag error"

According to previous posts, that lag error is because of movement that is unexpected. I find it odd that it is a z-axis error instead of a y-axis error. I suppose it could be moving in both y and z but more easily noticed in y. I believe the lag error is a result of the jump so I think if I fix the jump, the error will not occur.

Anyone know what could be causing this jump? Do you think it could be the joystick going bad?

It's just a "jump, to the left"?
    Does it then do a "step, to the right"?
    It really drives me insa-a-a-a-ane when it does that.

I would think that there are a few possibles here:

1) pot-meter of joystick going back, has a 'dead-spot' in it
    2) short somewhere or loose connection to the joystick
    3) HUGE build-up of gunk where it is 'sticking', then getting loose and charging
    4) mis-adjusted tension on drive system

Just a few things I can think of, I am sure that there are many, many more.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Put your hands on your hips . . .
      Bring your knees in tight . . .

5) Dirty or pitted ways
      6) Clogged air bearing orifice(s)!!!
      (hehehehe he said orifice! hehehehe!)
      7) Terrorist have slipped LSD into the coffee supply
      8) Y-axis motor needs "tunning" or is going bad
      9) Your SMA is expired.

HTH

sigpic"Hated by Many, Loved by Few" _ A.B. - Stone brewery

Comment

And do the pelvic thrust...

Also, make sure the scales are clean - I've had problems with mine doing similar things.
        sigpic Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, but rather a skid in broadside, totally worn, proclaiming WOW What a ride!

Comment

You may also have a short. Somewhere in your jogbox, I mean. Or a ground that is starting to get minimal causing loops inside your encoder wire shielding. No fun to debug, since it seems to be intermittent.
          PC-DMIS/NC 2010MR3; 15 December 2010; running on 18 machine tools.
          Romer Infinite; PC-DMIS 2010 MR3; 15 December 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
            It's just a "jump, to the left"?
            Does it then do a "step, to the right"?
            It really drives me insa-a-a-a-ane when it does that.
            I think if you:
            1) Put your hands on your hips.
            2) You bring your knees in tight

Are you using a PFx machine?

I tink yer scale is going out and the machine is trying to reconcile the current location with the expected location. Heat will do that. Is your room nice and cool? Be thankful the Z isn't doing that!
            Last edited by Cumofo; 04-10-2007, 01:03 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

I also use a B&S 7-10-7 that had a similar problem. It would jump in the Y+ direction ONLY in manual mode. I replaced the Joystick several months ago and haven't had any problems since.

Comment

Originally posted by Wes Cisco View Post
                Put your hands on your hips . . .
                Bring your knees in tight . . .

5) Dirty or pitted ways
                6) Clogged air bearing orifice(s)!!!
                (hehehehe he said orifice! hehehehe!)
                7) Terrorist have slipped LSD into the coffee supply
                8) Y-axis motor needs "tunning" or is going bad
                9) Your SMA is expired.

HTH

Everything moved real nice last time #7 happened
                sigpic

B&S Global 544
                Using 3.7mr3

Peace
                Greg

Nothin left ta dew but :) :) :) !

Comment

Had this happening on one of our old Dea machines.
                  It was happening in the Z axis.
                  It eventually "ran away" and crashed into the granite at something near warp speed (Ludicrous speed?).
                  Pieces of stuff went flying all over the room.
                  Turned out the scale was TU.
                  The old PH9 survived but the TP2 and everything else connected to it was toast.
                  Clean the scale and try to determine if it always happening at the same place.
                  Lately, it occurs to me
                  What a long, strange trip it's been.

2017 R1 (Offline programming)

Comment

[QUOTE=John Riggins;55627]Had this happening on one of our old Dea machines.
                    It was happening in the Z axis.
                    It eventually "ran away" and crashed into the granite at something near warp speed (Ludicrous speed?).
                    Pieces of stuff went flying all over the room.
                    Turned out the scale was TU.
                    The old PH9 survived but the TP2 and everything else connected to it was toast.
                    Clean the scale and try to determine if it always happening at the same place.[/QUOTE]

While that sounds like a Great Crash, your last line is the best advise.
                    sigpic

B&S Global 544
                    Using 3.7mr3

Peace
                    Greg

Nothin left ta dew but :) :) :) !

Comment

[QUOTE=#2#;55468]This has happened a few times in the past (maybe 4 times in the last year). Now, it has happened twice in the last two days. While moving manually with the jog box, the machine will 'jump' in the +y direction. It will only move an inch or so and then be back to normal. Needless to say, it scares the poo out of the operator. After it does this, it kicks up an error that reads "Z-axis excess lag error"

Anyone know what could be causing this jump? Do you think it could be the joystick going bad?[/

Comment

What type of CMM do you have ? i'm running a Tarus with the PH9 and it was doing basically the same thing. on my jog box, if you just pushed on the enable and nothing else the cmm would move by itself all axis's . ( i had to get a new jog box. ) but when i was getting the lagg error, i ended up shutting the cmm off over night , every night, until i cleaned out the controller, which is a Brown & Sharpe 32, it was really dirty. that solved my problem.

Comment