Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probe path problems

Hi everyone!

I am a new user of PC DMIS for CMMs and I am currently using PC DMIS 2014. I have made a program using the clearance cube and the auto wrist change. When I simulated the probe path, I noticed that after some features the probe path was passing through the part, causing a collision, and It was not respecting the clearance cube.

Could this be something that I have wrongly set on the code or some feature/setting that I am wrongly using?

Thanks a lot!

Guilherme Rezende

PC-DMIS isn't a click one button and done software. it won't recognize when you're in a bore for example. The software doesn't have all the answers or methods to measure with just a couple clicks.
    I would think, since you have 4 posts in one day, which are relatively elementary, that you or your employer should invest in some training.

Your jogbox should have a "Print screen" button. if you are programming and need to add a move point to avoid crashing the simplest method is to move to a safe spot and click that print screen button. It creates a move point by default. You can also go to the spot in the routine (within the edit window) where you need clearance, and type "move" then press tab.

You will have several move type options: move/point, move/increment, move/clearplane, are the most common for me. better yet. press F1 with your mouse over the move command you create and read up.
    Last edited by louisd; 09-13-2018, 04:11 PM.

Comment

You can also input a Prehit and Retract command in areas where you need the extra clearance to articulate the probe head, then reset after.

Comment

I've heard through the grapevine Clearance Cube should be avoided like the plague. Clearplane's are the way to go, in my opinion

Comment

Use clearplanes that will be better for many of the confusions and not to waste much time while programming.

Comment

Originally posted by louisd View Post
            PC-DMIS isn't a click one button and done software. it won't recognize when you're in a bore for example. The software doesn't have all the answers or methods to measure with just a couple clicks.
            I would think, since you have 4 posts in one day, which are relatively elementary, that you or your employer should invest in some training.

Your jogbox should have a "Print screen" button. if you are programming and need to add a move point to avoid crashing the simplest method is to move to a safe spot and click that print screen button. It creates a move point by default. You can also go to the spot in the routine (within the edit window) where you need clearance, and type "move" then press tab.

You will have several move type options: move/point, move/increment, move/clearplane, are the most common for me. better yet. press F1 with your mouse over the move command you create and read up.
            Hi louisd, thanks in advance for your assistance!
            I agree with you that we should invest in more trainings and we will do that!

I saw in an online training that the feature directions (vectors) are used to control CMM motion and avoid collisions. With that being said, shouldn't PC DMIS recognize from the CAD model that there is something there and avoid that area?

When I worked with NX CAM in CNC machining, the NX software recognized the part from the CAD model. Due to that, I was never worried bacause the software was able to avoid the part and adjust the tool path for collisions.

Sorry for doing elementary questions. But I am just trying to understand how PC DMIS works to avoid collision during motion. Since from my previous experience with NX CAM, It was more automatic.

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by guiga-rezende@hotmail.com View Post

I saw in an online training that the feature directions (vectors) are used to control CMM motion and avoid collisions. With that being said, shouldn't PC DMIS recognize from the CAD model that there is something there and avoid that area?
              Nope!
              Unless you tell it that.
              PC-DMIS is not as smart as you may think, but it is at the same time.
              The software makes no assumptions (theoretically )| It only does what you tell it.
              Therefore, just because you stick a CAD model in the program doesn't mean that PC-DMIS knows exactly how that CAD is oriented within the machine.
              You have to tell it that orientation, and in doing so you as a programmer have to be aware of how the machine is going to move.

Let's say you have a CAD model. This CAD model does not have a hole in some spot, because it's for an older revision or something. However, the physical part does.
              If PC-DMIS could "assume" where the CAD was at, it wouldn't let you measure that hole at all, because it would "think" it's going to crash, when in reality it's not.

Just an example

Comment

We use clearance cubes for everything works great super simple to use. If you check in F5 settings make sure "Clearance cube uses tip vector start/end" Probe will enter the cube from the way the probe is facing. Only time you really need to edit your cube planes is if you are rotated to say a 45 angle you would need to choose what side of the cube to start and end. like with everything the more time u spend with it you get the hang of it. I can write a program much faster using the cube then my co worker using move points/ clearplanes.

To also help with your question open up the advanced tab for clearance cube and make sure the start and end for the features that are crashing into the part are using the correct workplane.
                Last edited by Jakep379; 09-14-2018, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X