Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Output points related to new alignment

Greetings,
    I'm using 3.7 mr3. I create an alignment on the part (call it align1) It matches my CAD exactly so I do a CAD = Part. I then measure all the required points, holes, bosses, etc. So then lets say an error has occured on the CNC machine and everything is shifted .010- .012 thou. in Y direction. I will be asked if we move the origin .006 in Y then what will everything check? I create a new alignment (call it align 2) and just change the Y origin. Then if I reoutput all the features I measured before, will they be related to the new alignment? Or do they have to be remeasured? Sometimes I can't remeasure because the part is out of the CMM room already. It does not always seem to work quite right. Am I missing something?
    Any and all help appreciated.
    I'm working on plastic injection molds and we reference a tooling pin hole for our origin.

Thank You,
    John

Originally posted by JohnCTB View Post
    Greetings,
    I'm using 3.7 mr3. I create an alignment on the part (call it align1) It matches my CAD exactly so I do a CAD = Part. I then measure all the required points, holes, bosses, etc. So then lets say an error has occured on the CNC machine and everything is shifted .010- .012 thou. in Y direction. I will be asked if we move the origin .006 in Y then what will everything check? I create a new alignment (call it align 2) and just change the Y origin. Then if I reoutput all the features I measured before, will they be related to the new alignment? Or do they have to be remeasured? Sometimes I can't remeasure because the part is out of the CMM room already. It does not always seem to work quite right. Am I missing something?
    Any and all help appreciated.
    I'm working on plastic injection molds and we reference a tooling pin hole for our origin.

Thank You,
    John
    No, you can not just make a new alignment and expect to see new, correct results. For an example, any vector or surface point on a radius will now no longer be hitting in the 'correct' location and will have error added in.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by AndersI
    I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

What you are doing sounds ok to do. I would ask though, you do have a manual and dcc alignment before CAD=PART, correct?
      sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
        No, you can not just make a new alignment and expect to see new, correct results. For an example, any vector or surface point on a radius will now no longer be hitting in the 'correct' location and will have error added in.
        He's just doing an offset and then re-reporting the measured values, why do you say he couldn't do that?
        sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

First, make a copy of your program to mess around with. Don't accidentally do something to your original that would make it unuseable.

Second, as long as the alignment is before all of the dimensions and you answer "yes" to the question "update commands with new part alignment" then it should work as you have described.

Comment

I do that alot I put the new alignment at end of program and recall the features I need to see if they will fall in tol.
            sigpic
            if you had soap on a rope it would be tied to yer ankle

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMannes View Post
              He's just doing an offset and then re-reporting the measured values, why do you say he couldn't do that?
              Just as I said. Lets take an extreme example, he wants to move the Y origin/pickup 2mm. Lets say there is a radius 'wrap' along the X axis. If his pick-up changes 2mm, then if he were to re-run the program instead of just making a new alignment, the actual touch of the probe, moving at a 45 degree angle to touch the radius will touch LOWER (or higher) in the Z axis and give a larger (or smaller) change than just the Y shift would. Here is a picture as seen from the X workplane. As you can see, the actual touch will now be at a different Z height that will NOT show up in the report.

Last edited by Matthew D. Hoedeman; 05-25-2007, 01:03 PM.
              sigpic
              I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

Comment

Just as I said. Lets take an extreme example, he wants to move the Y origin/pickup 2mm. Lets say there is a radius 'wrap' along the X axis. If his pick-up changes 2mm, then if he were to re-run the program instead of just making a new alignment, the actual touch of the probe, moving at a 45 degree angle to touch the radius will touch LOWER (or higher) in the Z axis and give a larger (or smaller) change than just the Y shift would. Here is a picture as seen from the X workplane. As you can see, the actual touch will now be at a different Z height that will NOT show up in the report.

[ATTACH]1231[/ATTACH]
                That is true. I was thinking of linear stuff.
                sigpic

James Mannes

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMannes View Post
                  That is true. I was thinking of linear stuff.
                  Yeah, it bit me once MANY years ago (more years than I like to think about).
                  sigpic

Comment

Yeah, it bit me once MANY years ago (more years than I like to think about).
                    The best kind of wisdom eh.....school of hard knocks...some call it experience...
                    Hilton Roberts

"Carpe Cerveza"

Comment

Originally posted by Hilton Roberts View Post
                      The best kind of wisdom eh.....school of hard knocks...some call it experience...
                      Those ARE the ones you NEVER forget, it sure seems like, let me tell ya!
                      sigpic

Comment

Thank you all,
                        Matt, I know I can't reoutput any hits on angled or radius surfaces due to cosine error. I only use this on points that are taken in a straight direction.

James, No I don't usually do a DCC alignment. I have done experiments and my accuracy does not get much better. A lot of you guys are dealing with a lot closer tolerances than I.

Goodluck, I always make a copy before I start playing! Learned the hard way years ago.

John

Comment