Loosing search path settings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loosing search path settings

Every now and again when we shut down the computer for our CMM and reboot we loose our search path settings. not a huge deal I have been able to rest them. Tonight when it happened PC-DMIS can not see the network drives but when I open on File Explorer they are there. From what I have read tonight PC-DMIS doesn't like networks. I don't have full Admin rights, so I am limited to what I can do tonight, that and I have an hour to go. So my question is why do we loose the search path settings from time to time when we re-boot? Windows 10 64 bit and running PC-DMIS 2018 R1
    Last edited by Radar; 08-10-2018, 09:52 PM. Reason: left out some details like version of PC-DMIS

We have same issues with our offline keys in DMIS 2016. Also have same issues with it in 2018 R2 offline keys. Our Online keys seem to be fine. A hexagon application guy temporary fixed mine then my computer did an update and changed back. Only happens when I shut down my computer. They can fix it, but I can’t remember how or the reason. It was awhile ago. I just got used to it and leave my computer on all week now.

Comment

Happens here too, have no clue what causes it. If it is permissions, then why would it work sporadically?
      PC-DMIS CAD++ 2o18 R2 SP2

Comment

It could be that your network is 'restoring' the user profile when you log in, but never saves your changes. It's a job for IT...
        AndersI
        SW support - Hexagon Metrology Nordic AB

Comment

That same thing happens to me, I was told that it was our anti-virus software resetting it. Only the Default Measurement Routine gets reset though, the other ones don't change... And all of our directories are stored on our network
          Last edited by Mike Ruff; 08-13-2018, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Have you guys fixed your registry as given in this post?
            "This is my word... and as such is beyond contestation."

Comment

• Radar
              Radar commented
              Editing a comment
              I have given the link to the Admin on days to look at. I am not sure if he has done anything with yet. I will soon find out as I have to do a system reboot.

Funny thing is, I have the probe files located in another folder on the exact same drive, mapped to another device name which never gets "lost". Only the mapped folder with the part programs...

EDIT: Made the change suggested by VinniUSMC above. Crossing fingers.
            Last edited by vpt.se; 08-14-2018, 02:59 AM.
            PC-DMIS CAD++ 2o18 R2 SP2

Comment

• AndersI
              AndersI commented
              Editing a comment
              Maybe the probe files are read and closed by PC-DMIS, while the pp stays open. So, when the network connection is reset the handle to the open file gets invalid. I see something (more or less) similar in Microsoft Word - if I leave a document open over lunch I can't Save it, but must use Save As... with a new name, probably because a network reset has invalidated the handle to the open file.

hade the same problem as VPT.se, the post that VinniUSMC posted fixted the problem for me.

Comment

• Radar
              Radar commented
              Editing a comment
              I had found the post that VinniUSMC, but because I have no Admin rights. I am unable to apply that fix. I did forward it on to the Senior tech who has full Admin rights. Now to see if he will do anything with it.

I suspect there are two different issues at play here. Not being able to see the network drives is due to the windows problem that you can fix by applying the registry change mentioned in Vini's post. The loss of the probe search paths (assuming they are stored locally on the PC and not a network location) is most likely due to the restricted user account (Radar states in his first post that he does not have full admin rights). If the user account is blocked from accessing the registry then PC-Dmis will retain any settings / file paths that are set / changed whilst it is open but will loose any changes as soon as it is closed - reverting to it's original state. Virtually all of the settings and file paths are stored as registry entries which is why you need to have registry access. It could also be that the registry keys do not exist which can happen if PC-Dmis is installed with insufficient admin rights - it needs full admin to be able to create the registry keys which is why you have to launch it with full admin the first time you use any new user account.

Comment

Perhaps you can right click on the PC-DMIS icon and go to properties, then go to compatibility and check the box "Run this program as an administrator". PC-DMIS should then always run as an administrator.

Comment

Originally posted by MihaelR View Post
                Perhaps you can right click on the PC-DMIS icon and go to properties, then go to compatibility and check the box "Run this program as an administrator". PC-DMIS should then always run as an administrator.
                This will only work if the user account has admin rights - otherwise it will prompt for an admin password every time you try to run Pc-Dmis.

Comment

Back up and running for the time being. now to see if we have a repeat issue when we power down.

Comment