Scan ID label position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scan ID label position

I'm in the process of teaching myself scanning with PC-DMIS. I'l probably have more questions along the way.

About half the time my scan ID label is out in space somewhere. It also has a long leader that can not be moved in the graphics window, with the movable leader portion attached to the end. What determines the location of these? It's annoying and get's in the way when I'm trying to create a nice looking presentation.

I found another thread here with someone that had the exact same issue but there was no resolution in the thread.

scan_label.JPG
    PC-DMIS 2015.1, SP10, CAD++
    Global 7/10/7, 5/5/5
    Renishaw PH10MQ, PH10M, TP200

Does it do it if you create a new scan? Maybe delete that one and create a new one, Is this an old program that your adding the scan to? If so did you run it offline first, putting everything to zero? If all else fails, get some black electrical tape and put over it
    Last edited by KIRBSTER269; 07-27-2018, 07:28 AM.
    (In Memory of my Loving wife, "Ronda" who I lost March 7, 2016. I love you baby.)
    They say "Nobody's Perfect." I must be Nobody.

Comment

Are you sure that's a leader line? I see two lines coming up to a single point where the label is. It looks to me that the problem is a point included in the scan way up in the air.
      PC-DMIS 2016.0 SP8

Jeff

Comment

This only happens with patch scans. Any patch scan I create on this model the ID origin is the same. Here are some pics.

5 scans. 1,2, & 3 are patch, 4 & 5 are perimeter. All 3 patch have same ID origin out in space. 2 perimeter are fine.
        5_scans.JPG

Scan 1, patch scan. If I highlight the scan the long static line is part of the scan. There is no scan point out there and the ID leader itself doesn't highlight.

Scan_1.JPG
        Scan 2, patch scan. Same thing.

Scan_2.JPG

Scan 3, patch scan. There is no long static line but the ID origin is in the same place, floating out in space.

Scan_3_No_Leader.JPG

I have no idea what's going on with this. It's not the CAD origin. It's not the origin of the feature. Anyone? Bueller?

Global 7/10/7, 5/5/5

Comment

• KIRBSTER269
          KIRBSTER269 commented
          Editing a comment
          Black electrical tape..............just saying

Another thing I noticed, which I'm not sure is just normal behavior, is that whenever I create a scan, all the boundary points from the previous scan are still in the dialogue box and I have to delete them all before I create a new scan or they stay as part of the new scan, if the scan has more than the minimum of 1, D, and 2 . It doesn't reset the boundary on each new patch scan? Odd and inefficient, if that's normal.
        Global 7/10/7, 5/5/5

Comment

Well...that worked, Kirby. It's like they were never there. But it has seriously affected my productivity!

Black tape.jpg

Global 7/10/7, 5/5/5

Comment

• KIRBSTER269
            KIRBSTER269 commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry for the dry humor, but this one definitely has me stumped.

• mb0258
            mb0258 commented
            Editing a comment
            :-D make my day a lot funnier... affected productivity...:-D

What version of PC-DMIS? Is the program run on a machine, or is it offline?
          AndersI
          SW support - Hexagon Metrology Nordic AB

Comment

Hi Andersl,
            I'm running CAD++ 2015.1, SP10. The program is run on a machine. It's odd that the origin of the patch scan labels are all out in space at the same location.Any ideas?
            Global 7/10/7, 5/5/5

Comment

What *is* the position of the labels - <0, 0, 0> or some random point?
              AndersI

Comment

It's some random point in space.

The only thing I can think of, other than this being a PC-DMIS issue, is that the STEP file exported from Catia was from an assembly that had that point as it's origin and it's somehow being referenced as the origin of the scans. I looked in the STEP file but I couldn't find anything. I'm stumped.

Edited to add: It's the origin of the model before my first alignment. So it's using that as the origin for the ID's, instead of someplace on the surface or the origin of the new location after the first alignment.. Going to do more investigating.
                Last edited by Max Tasty; 07-30-2018, 04:43 PM.
                Global 7/10/7, 5/5/5

Comment

Do you apply any transformations to the CAD model after importing it? I remember a problem which might have been in 2015 (but probably earlier), where some things got wrong when you modified the CAD, but worked when the CAD was used as-is.
                  AndersI

Comment

Yes, I do. Which brings up another question. Using transform as opposed to Part/Machine. Other than being able to load a new model and have it be in the same location using Part/Machine, is there any other reason to use one over the other? I've always used Transform.
                    Global 7/10/7, 5/5/5

Comment

My usual recommendation is to *never* transform. I don't see any use for it, but I guess someone can come up with a scenario where it might be needed.

My main dislike of transform is that it doesn't leave any (obvious) traces, so some years down the line, a new CMM programmer, a revision of the CAD model, who knows how to do it?

Also, as Software Support I hate it when customers send me a problem .PRG and an .IGS and don't tell me that they had transformed...
                      AndersI

Comment

• Max Tasty
                        Max Tasty commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks for the feedback, Andersl. I appreciate it.