Virtual Gage Ball Creation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual Gage Ball Creation?

I'm working on a program for a part that has four pockets 90° apart on the "face" of the component. The pockets have some form to them; they are not spherical in nature.
    There is a true position callout based on a Ø6 mm gage ball when located on a 24mm (basic) circle. Obviously this is a bit of a problem, as I have to way to physically locate the gage balls on a Ø24mm circle, and even if I did, I have no way of attaching them to the part without throwing off the measurement.
    The customer verifies the position using a Zeiss with a self-centering head; an option which I do not have, unfortunately.

My question is; is it possible to create a circle based on a scanned line (linear open scan, offset 12mm from the origin), and providing a radius for the circle? Essentially, I want to create a "curve", then create a circle tangent at two points with a specific diameter. Coming from the CAD world, it seems rather simple, but will PC-DMIS permit this operation? I've been going through the constructed circle menu and help files, but it doesn't look like it is an option in this case.

I would greatly appreciate any help; I'm relatively new to PC-DMIS (<6 mo.), and my primary function is in engineering. Thanks in advance!

(PC-DMIS v 4.1, Giddings & Lewis CMM)
    Last edited by Rever; 04-02-2007, 12:24 PM.

Almost anything is possible.
    Post that portion of the drawing that shows this.
    Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

Comment

A generic circle would work. You could use variables from your measured features to create it.
      Last edited by rangerboat72; 08-22-2007, 11:09 AM.
      sigpic
      Xcel 15-20-10 - PFXcel 7-6-5 - Merlin 11-11-7 - Romer Absolute 7525SI
      PCDMIS 2012
      Windows Office XP

Comment

Originally posted by cmmguy View Post
        Almost anything is possible.
        Post that portion of the drawing that shows this.
        Part of the print is attached below. I apologize for the condition of the picture; the print isn't in the best condition, and the scanner wasn't set to very high resolution.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...inquestion.jpg

Comment

Is that a cone shaped feature with a radius at the bottom?

The only real "reportable" feature is the profile callout. the rest are basic. What is it you want to measure?

Comment

Originally posted by cmmguy View Post
            Is that a cone shaped feature with a radius at the bottom?

The only real "reportable" feature is the profile callout. the rest are basic. What is it you want to measure?
            It is sort of a pseudo-cone; the pocket extends radially from the ID toward the OD, ending in semi-circular pocket. Bottom of the cone has a profile that dips slightly in the center as a clearance for the Ø6 mm ball (the end-use application actually uses 4 Ø6.00 mm balls).
            The reportable I'm trying to obtain is the True Position callout toward the bottom of the image (feature number 25). The True Position is with respect to the two ID notches (Datums -A1- and -A2-) and the face opposite the notches (Datum -B-).

The customer's method of verifying the feature works for the application, but we cannot seem to correlate without the self-centering head and ball that they are using.

Comment

can you measure it as a cone? It seems that you would have to.

here is the way to create a nominal ball in the cone.
              http://pcdmisforum.com/showthread.php?t=4206

Comment