Probably a dumb question...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Probably a dumb question...

    We are trying to upgrade to a newer PC on our older Xcel. Unfortunantly, I did not look at the hook-ups for the CMM. The older PC had 2 ( I believe they are called I/O ports ) and the new PC has only one. Am I screwed on this? I think my choices are to get a differnet PC with the correct ports or get a new controller for the CMM. That sound right??


    Thanks for listening..

  • #2
    You should be able to take the card out of the old PC and put it in the new one unless there is not room for the new card, which there should be???
    sigpic
    Xcel 15-20-10 - PFXcel 7-6-5 - Merlin 11-11-7 - Romer Absolute 7525SI
    PCDMIS 2012
    Windows Office XP

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by rangerboat72 View Post
      You should be able to take the card out of the old PC and put it in the new one unless there is not room for the new card, which there should be???
      Gotta watch that, the old card might be an 8 or 16 bit card, in which case you probably can't put it in the new PC.
      sigpic
      Originally posted by AndersI
      I've got one from September 2006 (bug ticket) which has finally been fixed in 2013.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Matthew D. Hoedeman View Post
        Gotta watch that, the old card might be an 8 or 16 bit card, in which case you probably can't put it in the new PC.
        I never even thought about that (needed some more sleep today)...
        sigpic
        Xcel 15-20-10 - PFXcel 7-6-5 - Merlin 11-11-7 - Romer Absolute 7525SI
        PCDMIS 2012
        Windows Office XP

        Comment


        • #5
          If you are looking at a Serial port (9-pin configuration), you can typically get a Serial-to-USB adapter and use a USB port on the new PC.
          sigpic:rolleyes:

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by SeanO View Post
            If you are looking at a Serial port (9-pin configuration), you can typically get a Serial-to-USB adapter and use a USB port on the new PC.

            Is it seriously that easy?? Geez man don't tease me.....

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by John Kugler View Post
              Is it seriously that easy?? Geez man don't tease me.....
              If what you need is Serial ports, then yes it is that easy. I have used them... no wait, I'm using one now.

              Are there special cards installed in the PC (as Matt pointed out)
              Links to my utilities for PCDMIS

              Comment


              • #8
                I am also currently using a SERIAL port to USB convertor on the PH9 input.This was fitted by a Hexagon Metrology guy when he came to do the migration from the old PC to the new PC.
                It's only a mistake if somebody else finds it!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Gee John,
                  Couldn't ask me to help? I have done it 4 or 5 times. It is MY old CMM afterall.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Oh yes. It is just a serial port. If I remember right, there is a serial port card in the old computer. If not then there should be one in our computer junk room.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by NANCY R View Post
                      Gee John,
                      Couldn't ask me to help? I have done it 4 or 5 times. It is MY old CMM afterall.
                      Thought you were too busy. Didn't want to bother you.
                      I went to Best Buy and got an adapter cord.

                      Now if I had some time to swich them over....

                      Comment

                      Related Topics

                      Collapse

                      Working...
                      X